Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

Vacuum leaks

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Gluckmysock 
#1 ·
After repairing two vacuum leaks my 2003 WJ fuel economy increased by 9.4 MPG.
1. The vacuum line was cracked on the cruise control canister located under the battery box. Be careful not to crack the canister nipple (like I did) when you pull the line off. This repair improved both the cruise control acceleration and the AC/heater distribution control and the overall vacuum pressure.
2. The LDP vacuum lines located under the driver sidereal quarter panel were really in bad condition. My mechanic did this repair for me as he had the equipment to command the LDP. It turned out the valve in the LDP was not switching but it was fixed by cleaning it ( I think brake cleaner was used).
3. The pesky engine code 1494 has finally gone away. I hope this post helps some of you that are chasing the vacuum leak problem. Both locations are hard to detect using a homemade smoke tester. A visual inspection is the best method. If you go to the bother of gaining access to both areas you might as well replace the line. I noticed the thickness of the cruise control line was heavier than the normal 1/4 line so I used rubber gas line to replace it.

#2 ·
I keep getting vacuum leaks every year right before inspection. It's annoying as hell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.