Going Green! Sort of...

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Cherokeetalk.com General Forums > General Discussion

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2016, 08:47 AM   #1
Gluckmysock
Maximus Absentius Modus!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Garage
Default Going Green! Sort of...

Howdy all.

I want to start a discussion on the purchase of a Volkswagen Golf, Jetta, Beetle. More importantly, one with the TDI Diesel. Model year 2001. I spent almost $400.00 in fuel since October. That's at least $200.00 per month in gas. With a Jeep that gets 10 MPG, it's a major waste of money. I love my Jeep, but for a vehicle to go to and from work and run errands, I am fine in, dare I say it; a CAR!

After much thought, If I went from 10 MPG to 40 MPG, I would also go from 200 a month in fuel cost to 50. Lets not split hairs over the difference in gas/diesel prices. With technically, $150.00 more per month, I could finance at $125.00 per month, with the additional $25.00 going to insurance. If I spent $50. per month for fuel, I would be spending the same but in 12-15 months the car is paid off, and the 150 becomes disposable income.

A link to a study: Top 10 Most fuel-efficient of 2001

Thoughts??

Be Gentle!

1996 Cherokee classic. 100k Miles, I6 HO, AW4, Np242, D30/C8.25 3.5" RE lift
My build thread: Gemini
NP242 Hack n Tap (SYE) Install
Common links: Budget MODS List And All You Ever Wanted to Know About an XJ

December 2013 Stock Class Cherokee of the month
May 2015 Modified Cherokee XJ of the Month
Gluckmysock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2016, 11:05 AM   #2
93_cherokee
Veteran

In in the same boat. I spend $40 a week to take my kid to school and pick her up, and her school is 3 miles away. I would go for the tdi golf. I could never get a car over my jeep but each their own

Last edited by Gluckmysock; 12-18-2016 at 11:40 AM.
93_cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:41 AM   #3
Gluckmysock
Maximus Absentius Modus!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_cherokee View Post
In in the same boat. I spend $40 a week to take my kid to school and pick her up, and her school is 3 miles away. I would go for the tdi golf. I could never get a car over my jeep but each their own
Guess I should clarify. I'm NOT getting rid of Gemini. This is an attempt to save a little money till I can get Gemini a few well deserved upgrades.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:47 AM   #4
93_cherokee
Veteran

I gathered that. When I drive my wife's car, I just don't feel right. I feel like im cheating on my jeep and my jeep knows
Old 12-18-2016, 12:47 PM   #5
ZBeard
Experienced

Isn't VW the manufacturer that caught all the flack for fudging their fuel economy numbers?
ZBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:42 PM   #6
Wiebo
Gumboot Helicopter Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBeard View Post
Isn't VW the manufacturer that caught all the flack for fudging their fuel economy numbers?
They are. They had a huge recall and massive fine levied because of it. But at the end of the day, the TDI is still a great choice. VW has done a great job with their lineup for years, with some long lasting engines as well. I've never driven or owned a Golf or any VW vehicle, but wouldn't hesitate to consider one for the stable. Many friends and family have owned them.

Gluck, nothing wrong with going green, I would encourage it. When going green means you save money and time all while driving something that doesn't punish the environment like our jeeps can, you can't lose really. I might be a bit biased, with being a hippy and all though

If you're teetering on the Beetle, Jetta or Golf, go with the Golf. Great fuel economy, apparently very fun to drive, and will treat you well for years to come. They look pretty slick too
Wiebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:53 PM   #7
ZBeard
Experienced

I guess I'm just not crazy about diesels. They tend to be slow out of the hole, and diesel fumes... well, they stink. I used to pull a flatbed, and periodically I got loads of plastic pipe. Sometimes the pipe sections already had the rubber gaskets installed, and on those loads we had to use a thing called a smoke tarp. It just went over the front of the pipes 'cause if the diesel fumes blew back over the gaskets they would deteriorate and fail.

And as far as being green - Europe is trying to get rid of diesels 'cause they're dirty. If I wanted a cheap to drive grocery getter I think I'd be looking at a Toyota Corolla. Good gas mileage and dependability without the diesel smell.
ZBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:12 PM   #8
wjlizard
Veteran

Hmmmm, here's my 2 copper slugs. Grew up on VW ,Grandfather uncle and aunt all worked for VW at the New Stanton plant. We've had them all. Good cars ,on the more pricey side to fix . I'm not a diesel fan no other reason than they sound obnoxious and stink. Most diesel pumps are filthy and grimy. I would go for a GTI have a little fun while saving the planet...a "new beetle" I couldn't do it . We have a 07 Jetta petrol and it's had a few little issues but earth shattering . Not the best in the snow either unless you got snow tread.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:55 PM   #9
Gluckmysock
Maximus Absentius Modus!

Garage

Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. I am not partial to VW or diesel. It just happened to be on the list and it wasn't a prius or hybrid. I have searched and every TDI is OVER 200K miles. That is a statement in of itself!

Old 12-30-2016, 07:51 AM   #10
Gluckmysock
Maximus Absentius Modus!

Garage

Well folks! It's done. I am now the proud owner of a 2002 Jetta TDI 5 speed! pics to follow. Currently under a couple inches of snow! 264K with a new Garret turbo and a "malone" tune??? Damn, does she run. OMG. I see many speeding tickets in my future. body is fair, interior is fair. no leather or sunroof, but I am fine with that.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:54 AM   #11
XJSuperman
Veteran

Garage

Pics or it didn't happen.

Sounds great gluck, as long as you can keep it rubber side down and up and running, youll have a speedy little MPG mobile. Some of my family ran those religously until recent.

2001 XJ: 4" lift (Rustys LCAs, MetalCloak UCAs, Tuff Country coils, IRO aal), 31x10.50r15 Cooper STT Pros, front locker, SYE, custom gas tank skid, Durango steering box, Yakima roof rack on custom crossbars, WickedBilt LED lighting, 784 injectors, and Afe intake

1948 Sears utility trailer project

YouTube channel: XJSUPERMAN
XJSuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:47 AM   #12
wjlizard
Veteran

Congratulations on the vee-dub
Old 12-30-2016, 11:51 AM   #13
muddeprived
Infected
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Nice buy. I wanna see some pictures and front-end burnouts.

When asked if the Warriors could pull it off, Kerr responded, “Oh God, no. No!”

Kerr followed that exclamation with, “We had this guy named Michael Jordan on that team."

Quote:
.....but hey, it's all about being green nowadays. Cars don't rust out anymore they just biodegrade.........
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:56 AM   #14
Gluckmysock
Maximus Absentius Modus!

Garage

Ha Ha you guys are awesome!

Old 12-30-2016, 12:09 PM   #15
93_cherokee
Veteran

Congrats

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Cherokeetalk.com General Forums > General Discussion