Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

2000 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) - Built & Caged

5K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  2000XJ 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a lengthy ad, but I have tried to include as much detail as possible. Please read it thoroughly. I’m happy to take phone calls and/or answer any questions you may have. I have thoroughly enjoyed this vehicle, but I have just lost the passion I used to have for four wheeling after being in it for 10 years. So after much thought, I have decided that I am going to let someone else enjoy this car as much as I have. Hopefully it will bring the new owner the same thrills and friendships it brought me.

The XJ is turn-key and ready to hit the trails. It has been like this for the past few years, and it has required only minimal maintenance since 2013.

The XJ is very light, nimble, and stable. It wheels very well, has been very reliable over the years, and I have never hesitated to push its limits. I have never had any issues with 35’s and the Dana 30 using the OEM 3.55 gears, RCV’s and the 4:1. You can hate all you want, but this XJ isn’t on tons and has run Blacks and Reds without any catastrophic failures that have ruined the wheeling day. I really believe the light weight of the rig, coupled with the OEM 3.55 gears and the 4:1 tcase are the saving grace as to why the Dana 30 has not exploded.

Believe it or not, the XJ has only been flopped once despite the custom body work. The cage handled it well, and all it affected was the driverside fender (dented).

I purchased the XJ in 2005 from Decozen Chrysler who took it on trade from the original owner who had it garage kept and only put 25,xxx miles on it. I daily drove it for several years as it was built. It stopped being a daily driver in 2009, and has been garage kept (again) since 2010. There is some surface rust on areas of the cage where the paint was scratched off, and some surface rust on body panels where there are scratches. There is no rust on the undercarriage, frame rails, or any major components. XJ was always washed after wheeling and garaged when not in use.

Clean Title in hand. Even though the XJ is registered and insured in NJ, it has been trailered everywhere since 2011.

VIN/Motor/Trans/Body: 2000 Jeep Cherokee Limited w/ 111,xxx miles

Tcase:
NP241OR (RockTrac 4:1 tcase from a 2004 TJ Rubicon, had 26,000 miles when initially purchased/installed)
Novak Shifter Linkage (Part #: SK3XR); installed but needs adjustment
Yokes swapped to accept 1310 u-joints
XJ Front driveshafts used for front and rear for easy of carrying a spare

Trans:
OEM AW-4 w/ 111,xxx miles
Transmission cooler
TCM deleted
RADesign Products Baja II Rail Shifter for electronic override and Rock Shift for PRNDL control

Front Suspension:
Rubicon Express 4.5” Lift Springs
Front Clayton 3-Link Pro-Series Kit (installed by A to Z Fabrication)
Rubicon Express Adjustable Trackbar
Dana 30 Truss for 3-Link (installed by A to Z Fabrication)
XJ Belly Skid Plate ¼” steel (installed by A to Z Fabrication)

Rear Suspension:
Rubicon Express Springs 3.5” leaf springs
Rubicon Express 1.5” leaf spring shackles

Body:
AJ’s Offroad Standard Rock Sliders (2” sliders, 3/16” wall).
**Rock Sliders are welded to frame rails and pinch seam, not just bolted on.
Front JCR Offroad Stage 4 Bumper w/ frame rail tie-ins
Steering Box Brace
Rear Bumper built by Rozzo Fabrication, tied into frame rails with outriggers on the wrap-around sides
Full Roll Cage built by Rozzo Fabrication (A-Pillars tied into rock sliders, B-Pillars welded to large plates which are welded to the floor pans over the frame railes, C-Pillars welded to bumper).
Harnesses installed and bolted to cage
Seats are OEM Cherokee Limited Leather seats
OEM fuel tank and lines recessed into rear trunk area and covered by a steel box
Rear mounted air compressor (wiring complete, but not connected)
All glass removed except windshield (windshield wipers function)
Functioning heat (does make a difference when winter wheeling)
A/C was blowing cold through Summer 2014 (helped keep things cool on hot summer days)
Fresh front fenders and hood included with sale should the new owner want to swap out the dented body panels.
Front clip is a plastic eBay piece
Rear brake lights function
Vehicle does not have headlights, running taillights, backup lights, or turn signals
Full interior has been gutted except for the bare necessities
Driver side floor pan cut out and replaced several years ago – it’s does not look pretty, but it’s repaired.
Never got around to building a fresh dashboard and center console

Rear Axle:
XJ Dana 44 w/ 3.54 gears
Ford 8.8 disc brake conversion (setup for E-Brake)
Lockright Lunchbox Locker
Alloy USA Axle shafts w/ 4.5” and 5.5” bolt pattern setup

Front Axle/Steering:
Original Dana 30 w/ 3.55 gears
Lockright Lunchbox Locker
RCV Axle Shafts
Mini Truss for Clayton 3-Link Long Arm Kit
ORO U-Turn Steering (could use a new tie rod)
The steering box is original to the XJ, it is showing signs of age, and I was planning on upgrading to hydro assist, but will leave that up to the new owner.

Wheels/Tires:
Weld-on beadlock rims (black)
Beadlock rims and hardware included in sale (never installed)
BFG KM2’s, 35x12.50R15 with near-new tread depth and obvious signs of use but no chunking
Matching spare included with sale

Electrical:
Optima Yellow Top Battery, XJ always hooked up to a battery tender when garaged.
Steel battery tray bolted in OEM location
The electrical is really bare bones as much of the electrical was stripped when the interior was gutted and cage installed with the intention of running fresh wiring for lights and any other accessories. I never got to this as I stopped wheeling the XJ often, and I wasn’t driving it at night or on the street.

Over the past few years I started gathering the parts needed to upgrade to a front Dana 44, at which time I was going to upgrade/refresh the rear XJ Dana 44 too. I was never in a rush though as I was not having any issues with the Dana 30. I also have a bunch of spare parts that I’ve saved/bought over the years. I will include all of these parts if the XJ sells for the asking pride.

Additional Parts included for the asking price:
OEM XJ Dana 44 - untouched
Set of 5 Wagon Wheel Style rims, 15x8, 5 on 5.5” bolt pattern
Additional Dana 44 Heavy Duty Diff Cover (1/4” steel)
Two OEM TCM’s (transmission control modules)
Dana 30 Unibearings (at least 2)
OEM XJ Driveshaft (definitely 1, possibly 2 available)
ARB Recovery Blanket (winch line damper)
(2) BFG KM2’s w/ 50% tread, 35x12.50R15
OEM Front Clip (brackets are broken)
OEM Headlights
OEM Chrome Grill
OEM Turn signals
OEM Front Fenders (off donor XJ, straight, never installed)
OEM Hood (off donor XJ, straight, never installed)
OEM Rear Hatch (does not fit w/ cage, but was going to chop and modify into a tail gate)

Price: $5,300 OBO
As mentioned, the asking price will include all parts mentioned above. I will also deliver the XJ up to 150 miles (at no charge) from 07950 if it sells for asking price. I would prefer a cash deal. I will accept a certified bank check, but it has to clear prior to me handing over the XJ and title.

Call/text me at (973) 637-0612 or PM me directly.

Build Thread with Pictures:
http://www.northjerseyjeepclub.org/f...ted-09-13-09)=

Just to be clear seatbelts/harnesses/lap belts were always on when driving the car even though it may be tough to see in some photos.

Can post better pictures soon. Pictures below are from the last time it was out on the trails in 2015.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome back, if only for this sale. Ill check if anyone I know is interested.

#3 ·
Thanks for the welcome back. This was my go-to forum back in the day, and I was here at its inception. Putting this XJ up for sale is very bittersweet for me. I thought about putting it up for sale a few years ago, but talked myself out of it as I couldn't part with something that I still enjoyed occasionally. My interests continued to change, and my passion just wasn't there anymore. The good news is that I won't be Jeep-less - that won't be going anywhere anytime soon as my wife and I just added a little person to our house :thumbsup:

#4 ·
Hope its not a fiat jeep. Hahaha. Just kidding. Whatever you got, congrats to you. I couldn't ever see me giving up my xj

#6 ·
Thanks man, it's a little boy!

NO.
I REFUSE TO BELIEVE.

=( I'll ask around, man. The spare parts alone are worth it, let alone a turnkey crawler.
Thanks Hux. It's a good truck. I know your crew roles through North Jersey to go out to PA to wheel, so if anyone is coming through and wants to check it out on the way tell them to get in touch with me. I'm minutes off of the 287 and 80, so it wouldn't be out of the way for anyone.

#8 ·
2000 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) - Built & Caged

Haha... Showed the wife some videos of RC power wheels, going to need some time to convince her but she liked the idea! Glad you've got your stuff running finally, I know it's been a while.

Text or pm is fine... My cell is 973-637-0612

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Hi Dave. Sad to see you selling your rig and we miss having you around here. :(

Best of luck man and congrats on the little one! :hi:

#13 ·
Thanks bud, it's been a fun ride, but I just lost the fire for the sport. Maybe after a couple years off I'll get the itch again.

Thanks on the congrats too - he's fun!

... and lastly... the XJ is SOLD as of yesterday!

#16 ·
I delivered it to the new owner, definitely bittersweet hauling it around one last time.

Its not gone, just with another owner right? Hope he enjoys it as much as you did.
New owner is about an hour south of me in Jersey. It will either live on or the parts will be transplanted into another rig he is building.

#15 ·
Its not gone, just with another owner right? Hope he enjoys it as much as you did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.