Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Battery cables

12K views 63 replies 12 participants last post by  Gluckmysock 
#1 ·
Hey y'all. My name is Neal. I occasionally make battery cables for the 4.0 engines, sometimes custom cables for winches or other engines/applications.

I use 4 awg mostly (good for up to 150 amps). With military post terminals and a fuse holder.
I use a 8 ton hydraulic crimper to make perfect hexagonal crimps on the lugs to ensure it won't come off.

Wire Cable Electrical wiring Technology Speaker wire

Tool

Most of the time, the battery cable sets usually are $125 shipped.

Thanks for your time.

See less See more
#7 ·
Neal what are all of your cables used for. Are they primarily for a dual battery setup. What all is included and what are they used for, does this include battery terminals. Sorry for all of the specific question for I am new.

#8 ·
These replace the factory battery wiring which included the grounding cables as well.

What's included is 4 positive cables identified by red, and 3 ground cables identified by black. A fuse holder with two fuses, and a pair of military style battery post connections.

If you are looking into dual battery set ups, I do custom cables sets as well. All I need is measurements.

#15 ·
Actually I have not had the time to install them yet. I kind of been lazy about installing some things I've already purchased for my rig. But the reason I bought them is because my son had some issues with his electrical because of a short and the fact that he installed a sound system that was drawing way to much from the system. He fixed the short and up-graded the main cables (Big-3) to single 0 cables on his own XJ (made them himself) and has not had any issues since.

I have plans to up-grade to a better alternator and possibly dual batteries, so I bought the cables so that when I make that jump I will be sure there will be no weak link in the system. I did not want the battery terminals that he uses. I wanted to use marine style terminals because it would allow a easier way of installing power to other accessories like my winch, auxiliary fan, fog lights ect. He adjusted the cost accordingly and made me the cables. I bought the 2 gauge cable set. which is overkill for my needs.

I could have made my own, but for the money it would have cost me and the fact that these are a way better made than I could do. Well worth every penny!!!

Attachments

#21 ·
Ya know, I just may have to jump on this,I'm getting tired of the morning idle issues that I know are just battery terminal related - but hey if I'm gonna replace SOME wires....[emoji51]

#24 ·
A little off topic. You still making nut strips and motor mounts?

#25 ·
Nutstrips, yes. I'm still working on the motor mounts. I tested it already and it held up very well. Just need to redesign the drivers side mount a bit because apparently the bracket is slightly smaller than the passenger side. I had to grind the drivers side bracket to get the mount in. It wouldn't be a good selling point if I told everybody they had to do the same. So I'm still working on tweaking it a bit.

I'm also designing transmission mounts too. I had 10 sets laser cut. I'm currently welding them up.

#26 ·
Now that may be of interest for me.

#35 ·
Careful what you wish for. You could end up with more bathroom reading material than you want...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.