Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

Not mine: 01 XJ in CO

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  93_cherokee 
#1 ·
http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=11670

This was posted on the FSJ Network forum, view the link to see some pics, seems like a lot of work has gone into building this and keeping it running already. In Colorado Springs:

"Emergency 01 XJ sale $5k obo Co Springs
Postby tedlovesjeeps71 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:59 am

Ok folks, anyone looking for a great XJ project where all the hard and expensive stuff has been done already?
Life is bending me over and I don't see how we will make rent or bills for January. I'm desperate.
Short history:
Bought it while stationed in Germany and paid to ship it home with me. It started life as a bone stock 01 XJ classic 2WD.
I swapped in the correct (00-01) 4Wd AW4 tranny and an NP231. Found a TJ Dana 30 with 4:10 gears, swapped that in with Rubicon Express control arms/drop brackets, ACOS, and RE 3" springs. Rear is new Rustys 4" leaves and shackle brackets. JKS shackles and a custom pair of Airlift airbags (for weight)
Rear axle is a Ford 8.8 with 4:10s also. Both axles are open diffs.
Got stationed in VA and after about a year the motor blew. 0331 cylinder head cracked and it ate the motor. Found a used 01 4.0 being pulled for a motor swap that had around 60k miles on it. As it had the same dangerous cylinder head I pulled it. Found a better head from a later Grand Cherokee and had the local machine shop go through it. While waiting I went through the engine and replaced every seal, gasket, etc. new timing chain just because. New pre cats, spun main cat, throaty muffler, and exhaust.
Basically went top to bottom, inside and out on this thing and if it wasn't replaced it was serviced and cleaned. Underside and interior were scrubbed, primed, and sprayed with bedliner. There was shockingly no rust on the underside. Considering it came from Germany I was amazed.
When I pulled the carpet I did find surface rust starting from snowy feet on the carpet. Sanded it all to bare metal, treated, primed, and bed lined it all. No more rust, ever.
I also took that time to reshape the floor. I mounted a pair of leather, heated seats from a grand Cherokee as they are WAY more comfy. I also cut out the floor about halfway along the tranny hump. Created a more flat floor for storage as I was intending the Jeep to be a long term expo/camping rig.
It need stuff, I will happily reveal everything I know of. Biggest immediate need is a new pair of wheel adapters. The rt rear has somehow worked loose. I don't have the money even for that.
It's one and only off road trip (it spent most its life as a 2WD grocery getter,remember) was just after we moved here to the springs. Maiden voyage and the only gremlin I found was the sway bar bracket sheered off the axle.
I could go on and on as I've done a massive amount of work to this thing. It's not done but close depending on your end goal. There's less than 2500 miles on it since I first drove it out of the shop. I'd never sell it but I just can't get a break. Life is crashing down and we will be homeless if I don't make something happen.
I'm starting at $5000.00 because ya gotta start somewhere. I'm negotiable. All I ask is don't rape me. No ******** scams. Ask what you want and I'll answer, honestly.
Here's kinda the build thread/struggle of the Jeep. Lots of pics and rambling descriptions.

Project "Side-trac" XJ

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

Let me know if anyone is interested please. Need money ASAP!"

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.