89' cherokee Laredo wipers not working

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Cherokee Stock Technical Forum

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Chrysler Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
josh12290
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 89' cherokee Laredo wipers not working

1989 jeep cherokee Laredo. I took off the under dash that runs along the bottom of the vehicle, and was able to trace the wiper wires down to a little black box that has 7 pins going in (steering wheel side) and only 6 going out(vehicle side). I need a wiring diagram or advice on how to fix it so i can go play in the snow. I was Able to jump power from an accessory to one of the wires that was receiving .10 volts, which then turned the wipers on but then it was on the constant slow function.

josh12290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
bottomsup

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh12290 View Post
1989 jeep cherokee Laredo. I took off the under dash that runs along the bottom of the vehicle, and was able to trace the wiper wires down to a little black box that has 7 pins going in (steering wheel side) and only 6 going out(vehicle side). I need a wiring diagram or advice on how to fix it so i can go play in the snow. I was Able to jump power from an accessory to one of the wires that was receiving .10 volts, which then turned the wipers on but then it was on the constant slow function.
The black box is the intermittent wiper module. You can take it out and hook the 2 cables together which will eliminate that from the system.

The wipers get their power from a circuit breaker. It is located at the bottom of the fuse block above your left foot while sitting in the drivers seat. Check the connections on the breaker and make sure the power is getting through.

bottomsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
josh12290

I've looked at it and I'm missing mine. Could i get away with fusing it? I've got fuses up to 30 amps.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
bottomsup

Garage

Quote:
I've looked at it and I'm missing mine. Could i get away with fusing it? I've got fuses up to 30 amps.
The only reason for the breaker is to allow the wipers to reset when they get left on frozen to the windshield or overloaded by something else.

Yes you can put a fuse in it for the time being. Any auto parts store should have the breaker on the rack.

The factory installed a 8-10 amp breaker. I would not put any bigger than a 15 amp fuse in its place.

Last edited by bottomsup; 12-19-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
josh12290

I popped one in and now it's working. However, there's still no adjustable speed. Any advice on how to fix that?
Old 12-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
bottomsup

Garage

Quote:
I popped one in and now it's working. However, there's still no adjustable speed. Any advice on how to fix that?
Will they shut off with the switch? Is the black box still in place?
Old 12-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #7
josh12290

Yeah the black box is still there. I haven't moved much of anything down there aside from some empty clips and misc wires.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
bottomsup

Garage

Does the switch turn them on and off now? Is it just the delay part that will not work? Did you remove your jumper?
Old 12-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
josh12290

The switch turns then on and off like a toggle. I wonder if i didn't jack it up when i clipped the brown and black wire and jumped power. The switch for both the front and rear wipers both work like this. The sprayers work too.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
bottomsup

Garage

Quote:
The switch turns then on and off like a toggle. I wonder if i didn't jack it up when i clipped the brown and black wire and jumped power. The switch for both the front and rear wipers both work like this. The sprayers work too.
The rear wiper on the 89 is a constant on with one speed. In the later models they installed a delay relay for the rear.

Does your wiper switch in the column have the delay function? If someone has swapped in a different column that did not have delay wipers, you would see what you are describing. The non delay switch will have 2 clicks for low and high. The delay switch will have 3 clicks for delay, low, and then high.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #11
josh12290

Yeah it has the delay function. I traded it for another car i had with someone on craigslist. They trashed it and used parts from a newer xj to "fix" it. Anyway, I've spent almost 1k on so far. I've had most of the electrical system apart because somebody thought it would be a good idea to wire their audio system with house wire. (solid core) and nothing was fused. There was also 3 mouse nests throughout the vehicle. I've had everything apart except for the dash board.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #12
bottomsup

Garage

Quote:
Yeah it has the delay function. I traded it for another car i had with someone on craigslist. They trashed it and used parts from a newer xj to "fix" it. Anyway, I've spent almost 1k on so far. I've had most of the electrical system apart because somebody thought it would be a good idea to wire their audio system with house wire. (solid core) and nothing was fused. There was also 3 mouse nests throughout the vehicle. I've had everything apart except for the dash board.
It sounds like you either have a bad switch in the column or the black box delay module is bad. Good luck with your gremlins.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Cherokee Stock Technical Forum