92 jeep cherokee code ????

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Cherokee Stock Technical Forum

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Chrysler Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
jeepster2020
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 92 jeep cherokee code ????

Hello I ran the light blink code and it blinks a 12 and then the five five for end of code transmission... .... According to the web this is a normal code for the coolant sensor when a jeep hasn't been started and means nothing.... So where we are at,,, is the jeeps starter, starter relay and battery terminals have been changed and cleaned... The vehicles won't cycle and the starter won't even click... I am going to perform drop volt tests tomorrow to see if I am losing serious voltage somewhere... I have been hooking up another vehicle to it to (start or try starting...)_ Every thing lights up on the dash board as normal... and the oil pressure goes way up when I switch it into the start position... yet nothing....? I am at a loss Would the O2 sensor shutdown the whole vehicle? again though the trouble code brings only twelve and five five.????

Last edited by jeepster2020; 03-21-2012 at 11:41 PM.
jeepster2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
kjc
Experienced

Codes: 12 = 'battery has been unhooked'. 55 = end of test. It has nothing to do with your coolant sensor.
*If the starter won't spin the engine, try wiggling the shifter when you turn the key to start. Nothing? Try putting it in neutral and wiggling the shifter as you try to crank it. If it still doesn't spin the engine, your NSS (neutral safety switch) may be failing. The grease in them gets old and prevents them from working properly.
*Your ignition switch could also be an issue, but I would suggest you fix your battery problem first. A dead battery can cause several different problems not only with starting, but with running properly as well. Jump starting a car with a discharged or possibly dead battery is no way to begin troubleshooting.
*And if you don't mind, set your posts text size to 2 or 3 maybe? Huge print like this is difficult to read. Let us know what you find out.
kjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
ldub100
Marshmallow

Garage

Quit all the yelling!
ldub100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
jfxj67
Renegade Mod

Garage

A 12 and a 55 is what you should be pulling under normal circumstances.

Sounds like either your NSS or Ignition Switch is acting up.

Try turning on the switch on your Fan on your Heater Controls, and then try to start you Jeep. If the Blower Motor shuts off as your Starter "try's" to crank, your Ignition Switch should be good.

The large font is FUN!

"Keep Coming Back, It Works... If You Work It"!!!
Jim - XJ Addict

Last edited by jfxj67; 03-21-2012 at 11:15 PM.
jfxj67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:45 PM   #5
jeepster2020

Default Thankyou

Well Thankyou for replying that makes a lot of sense I am going to replace the battery and then I will see if that solves the problem. Then I will check to see if the nss is the problem... I have to wait a couple days to replace the batteryso patience please I chaged my quote and aplogize I thought I was making it easier for people to read... Take care and I will get back to you as soon as I can...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc View Post
Codes: 12 = 'battery has been unhooked'. 55 = end of test. It has nothing to do with your coolant sensor.
*If the starter won't spin the engine, try wiggling the shifter when you turn the key to start. Nothing? Try putting it in neutral and wiggling the shifter as you try to crank it. If it still doesn't spin the engine, your NSS (neutral safety switch) may be failing. The grease in them gets old and prevents them from working properly.
*Your ignition switch could also be an issue, but I would suggest you fix your battery problem first. A dead battery can cause several different problems not only with starting, but with running properly as well. Jump starting a car with a discharged or possibly dead battery is no way to begin troubleshooting.
*And if you don't mind, set your posts text size to 2 or 3 maybe? Huge print like this is difficult to read. Let us know what you find out.
jeepster2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
bettyspinks

Hi everyone, great info from you guys, thank you.

My 93 Cherokee was turning over but not starting. I got code 11. Changed Crankshaft Position Sensor, then it didn't turn over at all. I had moved the shifter/bracket to get my hand in there, wondered if that had something to do with it. Tried the neutral wiggle advice from you guys and it turns over again, but only in neutral/reverse.

What should I do now? By the way it still didn't start even with new CPK, just turned over again. I also had code 12. Did I loosen something I shouldn't have when I moved the shifter?

bettyspinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Cherokee Stock Technical Forum