96 cherokee sport rear brakes?

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Cherokee Stock Technical Forum

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Chrysler Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
rayycc1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 96 cherokee sport rear brakes?

my girl has a 96 cherokee sport. when you apply the brakes the rears squeal and lock up...and sometimes hold for a second and then break free when you start moving again. It seems to happen on both sides...I took the wheels and drums off and the pads look like they have 75% left...nothing looks out of order....but the drums pulled right off...I do not think the rears are adjusted right. Any Ideas what could be wrong ?Thanks in advance.

While I'm at it...the temp gauge does not move at all...I replaced the sending unit but it still isnt working. Anything else i can check? thanks again...Ray

rayycc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
cronic420
Experienced

couple things on the rear brakes, make sure the piston on the the wheel cylinder moves both ways. (push it in about 1/4 inch front and back. make sure the shoes move freely on the backing plates. also make sure your ebrake isnt stuck on due to seized cables. sorry i cant help with the temp gage prob except maybe try fueses
cronic420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:03 AM   #3
cronic420
Experienced

thinking about it some more. it could also be debris in the master or proportioning valve. how old and dirty is the fluid? when was it last flushed. or even a crushed brake line, along the frame or the axle
cronic420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:30 AM   #4
rayycc1

Thanks for the replies...I will pull the wheels again today and have a closer look...and will postt my results later.
Love your user name!....Ray
Old 11-27-2011, 07:09 AM   #5
littleblackxj
Web Wheeler
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Look at the wheel cylinders and make sure they aren't seeping. Brake fluid on brake shoes can cause them to grab to the point where they will send you through the windshield, same thing with oil and grease. Before you start digging too deep I would just just sand down the brake shoes and clean the shoes and drums with brake cleaner.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
rayycc1

well...today when i pulled the drums...pieces fell out.cables and springs.i guess i am going to have to rebuild the rear brakes.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:07 AM   #7
muddeprived
Retired Moderator
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Yup, rebuild em, new hardware/shoes/drums, plus bleed em while you are at it. It should fix it.

http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/index.html :thumbsup:
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #8
cherokee97
Experienced

Garage

one problem I noticed with the rear drums it the pin that goes into the brake shoe on the bottom likes to wiggle free after time, I had to mushroom the back so it wouldn't fall out, It screwed up a lot when it falls out. next time i do the rears im going to weld that sucker in. from time to time when I stop it sounds like the shoes are slapping against the backing plate.

Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Cherokee Stock Technical Forum