Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

96 Jeep Cherokee - Battery is discharging until dead when not running

29K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Brodiem 
#1 ·
I have a mystery that I hope somebody can help me solve. My 1996 Jeep Cherokee runs like a dream. The alternator is working, and when I shut off the Jeep all systems are off, and if the vehicle sits for more than two days the battery is completely dead. I should also mention the battery is brand new Die Hard from Sears. The Jeep cranks right up when boosted and if it runs every day no problem getting it started but if it sits for more than two days the battery is dead.

Checked the alternator, it is charging, putting out 13.9 volts after boosting. Checked all systems and nothing appears to be actively drawing power. What could be discharging the battery while it sits idle?

#3 ·
You can use a multi meter to find out how big the drain is which may give you an idea of what it might be. Other option is to put a dead man switch on it which will isolate the battery when the vehicle is not being driven. Harbor Freight sells them for about $10

#4 ·
Does your jeep have an alarm system?

#6 ·
Wouldn't be the 1st time I've seen a brand new Die Hard battery found defective. However, the starters (from what I've read not personally experienced) are a common thing to cause a draw and go bad.

What I normally do is get a test light or a meter, remove the negative battery terminal and run the light or meter in series to the battery. Neg cable to one end of test light then the other end of the light to the negative post. If the test light comes on you have a draw. On some vehicles, you can get a small draw from a security system or anything hooked up that requires a memory to be stored. Normally with a test light it would be dim under those circumstances. If you have a direct draw, the light will be bright. What I normally do if there is a draw is start pulling the fuses and relays one by one until the light goes out. That will give you an idea of where to go next. Good luck.

#11 ·
As below:

Normally with a test light it would be dim under those circumstances. If you have a direct draw, the light will be bright. What I normally do if there is a draw is start pulling the fuses and relays one by one until the light goes out. That will give you an idea of where to go next. Good luck.

#7 ·
Normally we see radio and alarm parasitic draws of a week before it will not start, most likely leaking diodes in alternator. Disconnect battery, remove the battery cable from alternator, tape it off, and reconnect the battery post, if the battery does not go dead it’s your diodes, if it does it is something else, just pull fuses one at a time and let it sit, when you find the one that does not kill the battery you know which circuit to look into. This is assuming the battery is good.

#13 ·
Okay, I am at that point where I am getting really frustrated. I replaced the alternator, I replaced the positive cable because it was corroded, and I replaced the battery. Now the battery is discharged at a quicker rate, and as an added bonus the engine will start up and run but now it can't hold an idle. The only thing that is active when the engine is shut down is the clock in the radio. I never had a problem before with that radio. Any ideas where to go from here?

#14 ·
I know you said you've already replaced the battery, but my '96 does the exact same thing when the battery is going out. I'll charge it and the rig will start up but not idle and I was at my wits end til I put a new battery in and that solved the whole problem. Maybe grab a test battery out of another vehicle for a quick try? Good luck

#16 ·
Actually I put a fully charged battery and it did solve the problem of maintaining an idle. Apparently if the battery is completely dead it cannot sustain the fuel pump or possibly the ignition system. What is maddening is that while using a probe light on the negative terminal I pulled every fuse and the light did not go out. I have already replaced the alternator, got a new battery, and apparently I have a bad wire somewhere discharging the battery when idle. What is worse is that it takes less and less time to kill the battery so whatever and wherever the short is in the system it is getting worse. I had the positive cable connector replaced. Not sure what else can be replaced. Open to suggestions.

#18 ·
I feel like a first class idiot but it turned out to be the bulb in the glove box. Apparently the latch holding the door closed did not shut off the light. I experimented by removing the bulb and the problem was solved. I am really annoyed because I blew a few hundred on an alternator and battery because, for me, it is never, ever, the most inexpensive, simplest thing that could go wrong. I guess mathematically I was overdue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.