Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

Brake pipe nuts/ends

18K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  5-90 
#1 ·
Post from the UK.
1997 XJ replacing brake pipes on rear axle having difficulty getting the ends to fit into axle block and rear wheel cylinders,also into front flexi hoses.
It does not appear to be a standard thread available in the UK!
Can any one tell me what the thread/size is so atleast I can be asking for the right size not just "have you got something to fit into there"

Thanks UK Jeeper

#2 ·
I am assuming you are talking about the hard brake lines. They come in what we in the U.S. call standard, or measured in inches and metric. They are a double flare fitting. I don't have any apart right now. I would have to go to an auto parts store to measure. However, the metric ones I have dealt with are almost identical, of course that is one size only.

#4 ·
Brake pipe nuts

Thanks I know about the 3/16" pipe size, Just cant get any fittings to go onto the hard pipes I am making which will fit into the block on rear axle and the fittings on front Skyjacker hoses. Only 3 sizes avail in UK modern metric,old imperial and Nissan metric.

#5 ·
The brake lines tend to use an SAE "Double Flare" fitting, which uses its own set of flare nut threads (when you change flare styles, you change flare nut styles as well. -AN is different from JIC is difference from "double flare" is different from "bubble flare" is different from ...)

I believe most of the XJs use a 3/8"-24 thread on the brake hardlines, so you might want to start there. Also, be sure to use a proper flare nut wrench - flare nuts are notoriously soft, and you'll round them off very easily (and then kick yourself very hard the next time you have to work with them.) A flare nut wrench looks like a box-end wrench with most of one side cut out, and it actually grips the flare nut on five sides and all six corners. Believe me, they're worth having (this is coming from someone who used to service hydraulics for a living, and saw what sort of "repairs" that hacks used to do. I make more money fixing other people's mistakes than fixing things that were actually broken...)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.