A/C Compressor Noise

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Cherokee Stock Technical Forum

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Chrysler Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
jfxj67
Renegade Mod
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Garage
Default A/C Compressor Noise

I found another issue that needs to be dealt with... my a/c compressor just started making a high pitched whining/howling noise! It kinda sounds like the noise you'd get in your car stereo from running unshielded ignition wires, only much loader and speakers aren't required!!!

Honestly, i feel like i've got much bigger fish to fry with my XJ right now, mainly replacement of my Exhaust Manifold! I'm just trying to keep my daily driver, a daily driver!

I was just going though the recent "A/C Delete" post, i don't really want to give my a/c the axe, i just need to keep my Cherokee running.

I am just curious as to what i can do for a 'quick fix' until i can deal with this later? I assume that my Compressor will seize-up soon and i will spin a belt! I was considering unhooking my Compressor and replacing my belt with a Non-A/C belt, or maybe hitting the J/Y and grabbing another compressor, installing it, and get it re-charged later?

I am open for suggestions on this one!!!

"Keep Coming Back, It Works... If You Work It"!!!
Jim - XJ Addict
jfxj67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2009, 01:43 PM   #2
jfxj67
Renegade Mod

Garage

Could it be the Compressor Clutch and/or Bearing making all this racket?

It seems easier to swap these parts out, than the entire Compressor, ya know?

Jim - XJ Addict
Old 12-25-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
DannysXJ
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfxj67 View Post
I found another issue that needs to be dealt with... my a/c compressor just started making a high pitched whining/howling noise! It kinda sounds like the noise you'd get in your car stereo from running unshielded ignition wires, only much loader and speakers aren't required!!!

Honestly, i feel like i've got much bigger fish to fry with my XJ right now, mainly replacement of my Exhaust Manifold! I'm just trying to keep my daily driver, a daily driver!

I was just going though the recent "A/C Delete" post, i don't really want to give my a/c the axe, i just need to keep my Cherokee running.

I am just curious as to what i can do for a 'quick fix' until i can deal with this later? I assume that my Compressor will seize-up soon and i will spin a belt! I was considering unhooking my Compressor and replacing my belt with a Non-A/C belt, or maybe hitting the J/Y and grabbing another compressor, installing it, and get it re-charged later?

I am open for suggestions on this one!!!
I'd say get one from a junkyard for now... it sounds like its the pulley on the A/C
Old 12-25-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
01LimitedXJ
Jr Member

pull the relay on the a/c, it will cause it to just free spin and not kick on. then you can fix it when you get a chance...probably just need a new pulley
Old 12-25-2009, 07:29 PM   #5
jfxj67
Renegade Mod

Garage

Anyone know how labor intensive (Clutch)/Pulley Replacement is? What do you think that my plan of attack should be?

I'm considering a New Bearing and just grabbing a (Clutch)/Pulley off of another one at a J/Y...

Jim - XJ Addict
Old 12-25-2009, 09:35 PM   #6
CrewChief
Experienced

YO!!! Tighten your belt. My 99 Xj did that and that did the trick. Your belt is loose and is slipping on the compressor pulley. Good luck!!!!!!!! (btw, it is loud as sh*t huh/., lol)

Born to Thrill!
CrewChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:32 AM   #7
2000XJ
Retired Moderator
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Always start with the easiest thing and work your way to the most difficult/expensive...

When was the last time you replaced that belt? If it's showing signs of age/wear (cracking along the grooves), then you should replace it - the noise is telling you that.

If it was recently replaced, are you sure you tightened it enough? A new belt needs to be tightened to 180 lb/ft - 200 lb/ft, and a used belt should be at around 160 lb/ft - 180 lb/ft (FSM for 2000 XJ).

I guarantee that this will fix your problem. If everything is within spec, then move onto something else, like a pulley/bearing issue.

Trail Rig: 2000 XJ w/ 4.5" Lift, 35's, beadlocks, 4:1, Caged, Locked XJ D44 Rear, Locked D30, and a bunch of other things

Daily Driver: '07 A4 2.0T Quattro 6-speed

Former Daily Drivers: WK2, XJ, 4Runner, XJ, E30

Former Former Daily Driver: 2001 XJ Daily Driver, 2" BB, 245/70R16 AT's on Moabs
2000XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:39 AM   #8
jfxj67
Renegade Mod

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrewChief View Post
YO!!! Tighten your belt. My 99 Xj did that and that did the trick. Your belt is loose and is slipping on the compressor pulley. Good luck!!!!!!!! (btw, it is loud as sh*t huh/., lol)
I wish it was just that easy... that's pretty much the first thing that i checked. My belt is only about a month old and VERY well adjusted. Maybe even a little bit to tight and putting stress on my a/c pulley. Unfortunately, it's not that high pitched belt squeal that we know all so well here. More of a howl than even a whine and standing there right next to it, you can tell that that it's in the compressor itself.

I will be swapping-out my 'spare' Gates belt and installing a brand spankin' new Goodyear Gatorback when i get this issue fixed. That'll definitely do the trick, right?

Jim - XJ Addict
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Cherokee Stock Technical Forum