Does the 2.5L have a camshaft position sensor and a crank position sensor?

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Cherokee Stock Technical Forum

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Chrysler Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
JEEPCHEROKEE
Seasoned
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Does the 2.5L have a camshaft position sensor and a crank position sensor?

Hi, I am trying to determine if my 2.5L has a camshaft position sensor. Also, does it have a crankshaft position sensor? Thanks.

JEEPCHEROKEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
jeepgod
Banned

Ok, since I am not as familiar as I am with the newer jeeps, I did some research and found some answers for you. Your 2.5 definetely has a crankshaft position sensor. From what I could find out on your camshaft position sensor is that you should have one but I am only 80% sure on that one. I imagine if you have the crankshaft position sensor, you should have the camshaft one too.
jeepgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
jeepgod
Banned

A decent crank position sensor will run $40-$50 from what I found out on your vehicle.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
JEEPCHEROKEE
Seasoned

Well, I posted up on cherokeeforum.com but they have too many post's there. I can post something and in 15 minutes it will be second page stuff.

Any how, she is dying at low speeds offroad and requires a 15 to 20 minute break to restart. When she dies, I am losing spark. I was told cam posistion sensor, but the person who said that also told me he was sorry and didn't relaize I had a 2.5L and to disregard what I was told. I had others also say it is still the cam posistion sensor or even the crank position sensor. How do I determine wich one it is? thanks.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
jeepgod
Banned

To determine which one it is, you need a manual and an ohm meter or volt meter. Get the chilton's manual as they are about $15 or so and have diagrams and it tells you the correct voltage and resistance and stuff........test each of those and you will find the culprit. Or just buy one of each but that can get costly just replacing parts at random.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:05 PM   #6
JEEPCHEROKEE
Seasoned

where is the camshaft position sensor located? I toke off the distrubitor cab because I was told that is where it is at. There is nothing there. I am thinking it is by the coil seeing how it is also known as a coil pick up sensor. Is the Inginioton control Module the same as the CPS?
Old 02-15-2011, 06:10 PM   #7
jeepgod
Banned

No the ignition control module is not the same as cps....cps stands for crank position sensor and is usually located on the back of the engine where the transmission and engine meet but I am not sure about some things on your model only because it is a little older than most XJs that I am unfamiliar with. Typically the cam sensor will be located under the distributor cap and bolted to the housing right at the bottom if you are looking at it from the top with the cap off. It should be a little plastic type thing with a couple or so small screws to hold it in........your engine may not have a cam sensor being how old it is and is a coil pickup sensor which should be located in the same location as a cam sensor should be........if this is too confusing let me know and Iw ill try to reword it for you ok.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #8
ironore

if your 2.5 is an 86 it has one injector in the thottle body it has no need for a cam sensor to tell multable injectors when to fire the only thing in the dist. is the rotor cap
ironore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #9
jeepgod
Banned

thanks for clarifying that ironore

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Cherokee Stock Technical Forum