head bolt suggested socket size and type???

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Cherokee Stock Technical Forum

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Chrysler Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
shortbus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default head bolt suggested socket size and type???

so im not the most well off as far as tools go, so when i need to borrow from the neighbor i wanna know EXACTLY what i need.

i have a 96 4.0l that im replacing the head gasket in. now ive gotten the valve train minus the springs and valves out and im ready to pull the head off. what is the size socket i need for those 12 point bolts?? all my 6 points slip on them and i dont wanna round them all off.

so please guys i wanna get this jeep back runnin asap. lemme know what size of bolt im in need of.

thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
5-90

If you can fit a 6-point on there, you're right about the right size (next size up 6-point will probably run freely on a 12-point, methinks.)

12-point sockets can be had in sets, or you can buy them individually - while I use 6-point sockets almost exclusively, I use the 12-point sockets just enough that I have a full set.

If you have 12-point wrenches, drop them on until you get one that fits and buy that socket. (I have mostly 6-point wrenches as well - but I do have a set of 12-points for the same reason.)

I'm sorry I can't help you more specifically with the size of the thing - but I've not had to deal with those 12-pt head screws yet (the last 12-pt head screws I had to fart around with were on a 1980 Honda Accord, they took a 10m/m 12-pt socket, and the one in the "pocket" on the front centre of the head rounded off anyhow and it took me three days to get that wretched thing out...)

"We would have believed it was an accidental shooting if he hadn't changed magazines. Twice..."
5-90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:09 AM   #3
shortbus

thats what im trying to avoid here. 14 mm 6 point fits well but still slips more than im willing to chance, ill do that wrench idea tomorrow morning and then head down to the pawn shop for a cheap socket, thank you!

how ever i only have metric 12 point wrenches... so well see how this goes...

Last edited by shortbus; 08-05-2011 at 01:13 AM.
shortbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:33 AM   #4
CCKen
Experienced

You'll need a 1/2" drive, deep well, 1/2" - twelve point socket.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
shortbus

just hit the local hardware store for sockets before seeing this post. now have 6 new 12 point sockets. well having more tools never hurts hahaha

thanks boys! head is now off. not to let her sit while i work my *** off to pay for a head refinish job and a full head gasket set! god i love being fresh out of high school and broke!
Old 08-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #6
CCKen
Experienced

Look for paint on the bolts. If there are paint dabs on the bolt heads that means they were removed and reinstalled once already. If so, don't use them again....save some more money for new bolts. Cha-Ching

Do you have a calibrated ft/lb torque wrench for the head bolts? Cha-Ching

Do you have the factory instructions for installing the head?
Old 08-05-2011, 08:20 PM   #7
shortbus

i have a FSM for the 96 cherokee. ive read the head section three times over and ive taken two off now. first off my 91 and now off my 96.neither of witch have paint marks.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:35 AM   #8
5-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbus View Post
i have a FSM for the 96 cherokee. ive read the head section three times over and ive taken two off now. first off my 91 and now off my 96.neither of witch have paint marks.
1) Make sure you put paint marks on the screw heads after you torque them down.

2) If the SOB before you didn't paint them, you'll find out. Usually one of the screws will rupture - then you have to either machine it out or burn it out. Neither is fun (I've done both.)

Use a bright colour of paint.

"We would have believed it was an accidental shooting if he hadn't changed magazines. Twice..."
5-90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Cherokee Stock Technical Forum