heater and turn signal problems

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Cherokee Stock Technical Forum

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Chrysler Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
mike4675
Experienced
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default heater and turn signal problems

hi everybody.
i was wondering if anyone else may have had this problem.
a few days ago, i was driving my '89 with the heat blasting when all of a sudden the fan blower sopped working.a little down the road i noticed the turn signals not working.now i've noticed the interior lights not coming on when i open the door.the hazards are still working.i tested the flashers on the fuse box and checked the fuses.there was also an inline fuse below the blower motor that is good.
any ideas?

mike4675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
bottomsup

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike4675 View Post
hi everybody.
i was wondering if anyone else may have had this problem.
a few days ago, i was driving my '89 with the heat blasting when all of a sudden the fan blower sopped working.a little down the road i noticed the turn signals not working.now i've noticed the interior lights not coming on when i open the door.the hazards are still working.i tested the flashers on the fuse box and checked the fuses.there was also an inline fuse below the blower motor that is good.
any ideas?
It maybe one of the fusible links has fried. All of the links come off the large battery terminal on the starter relay located on the right inner fender behind the battery.

Each wire will have a rubber bead on it. Grab the bead and give it a light pull away from the power post. if the wire stretches it has fried. There may be visible heat damage to the wire also.

bottomsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
mike4675
Experienced

is this the multifunction switch thats in the haynes wiring diagram? i wiggled the wires and the interior lights came on,but when i shut the door and opened it again they wouldn't come back on. must be a short somewhere.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
bottomsup

Garage

It actually sounds like 2 separate issues. The dome lights being in there own. Will they turn on with the headlight switch if you twist it?

The blower and stereo sound like you have a bad ignition switch. There is a couple of accessory feeds out of the ignition switch. If one burns out in the switch you will loose just some of your accessories.

M-COTM
December 2012 & 2013
Old 11-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
bottomsup

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomsup
It actually sounds like 2 separate issues. The dome lights being in there own. Will they turn on with the headlight switch if you twist it?

The blower and stereo sound like you have a bad ignition switch. There is a couple of accessory feeds out of the ignition switch. If one burns out in the switch you will loose just some of your accessories.
It is a little tricky to get to, but if you look on top of the steering column close to the top of the brake pedal, you can see the ignition switch. It is operated by rods that run up the column to the key switch. Look at the connectors and see if there is any melting present from a bad connection.

M-COTM
December 2012 & 2013
Old 11-28-2012, 03:59 AM   #6
mike4675
Experienced

the dome light doesn't work with switch if its not working, but is still intermitantly going on and off(short in that wire i think). i removed the switch from the 1st solenoid you pictured. i cleaned contacts and reinstalled but no luck yet. i will try ignition switch at work today.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
mike4675
Experienced

well,i checked the ignition switch and all's well there. got sick over the weekend so nothing then, but when i started short hunting again i noticed an entire side of the fuse box was dead. thats where the fuses are for the horn, wipers, turn signals are.started unscrewing fuse box and what a long screw it was. i'll fiunish tomorrow and if thats not it i'll invest in rain-ex. yeahh!
Old 12-07-2012, 06:33 AM   #8
mike4675
Experienced

I figured it out. It is the fuse box.I ran a wire from my hazard lights fuse to the blower fuse. and everything started working. now the only problem is that the blower motor stays on after i turn of the key. the only fix for that is to "jump" to a "key" fuse or replace fuse box.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Cherokee Stock Technical Forum