Injector upgrade problems

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Cherokee Stock Technical Forum

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2017, 10:31 PM   #1
Muleman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Injector upgrade problems

Greetings one and all. 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport -- 192,000 miles. I just upgraded my injectors to the Bosch 4 hole style. These were re-manufactured with a 5 year warranty, bought them off of Ebay. Before install the vehicle was running well accept for a Number # 1 misfire code. After the installation the vehicle ran great, very smooth. After about 15 minutes of driving it slowly started running rougher and rougher and the CEL came on with a whole litany of error codes: P0304, P0204, P0302, P0202, P0300. On a hunch I reset the PCM and again it ran very well for another 15 minutes, wherein the same symptoms and codes came back. Not sure why this is happening or how to repair it? Any ideas? Thank you.

Muleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2017, 05:25 AM   #2
CartoonScott

Garage

That's all misfire codes. Clogged injectors , bad gas , clogged fuel rail ,electrical connection, vacuum leak . You're going to have to check that all your injectors are working one at a time . Take one out and hit it with a jumper from the battery , if it clicks its ok . then make sure when you put it back in it's properly seated, a little vaseline on the o ring helps also check your connector, sometimes with age and mileage they get crispy and break, one of mine did. Check the fuel pressure at the rail too.
CartoonScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:04 AM   #3
Muleman

What has got me baffled is the fact that after the initial installation and Thanks for the reply. It baffles me that after the initial installation and PCM reset it ran very smoothly with lots of power for about 20 minutes then the rough running and error codes. Then after another reset it ran well again for about 15 minutes until it did the same thing. I know the computer is set up should it find something out of default spec to save the motor by making it run rough, hence the error codes. I can only guess at this point that is a bad computer or a bad set of new injectors. Not sure what to try next.
Muleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2017, 07:20 AM   #4
wjlizard
Veteran

I would put your old injectors back in and see if the problem persists before you condemn the PCM
Old 05-16-2017, 03:11 PM   #5
CartoonScott

Garage

The computer will clear then pick up the problem , I just had a bad cat code it was from running 1 year old gas. I ran it like that for 2 fillups then used seafoam it cleaned the cat and the code cleared. Putting the old ones back is a good idea too . Have you checked compression ?
CartoonScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:44 PM   #6
dusterjack
Experienced

Muleman. Any fixes found as yet? Im doing mine this weekend. Will let you know if mine does the same. Also got Bosh rebuilt injectors with 5 year Warranty, so I am rather anxious to see what happens

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

dusterjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Cherokee Stock Technical Forum