Jeep wont start and GEN light is on - Page 2

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Cherokee Stock Technical Forum

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Chrysler Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 11:14 PM   #16
jfxj67
Renegade Mod
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Garage

I would try to rule out the ignition switch...

Try turning on the blower switch on your heater and "try" to start your Jeep. As you turn your key to the 'start' position, the blower motor should turn off. If it does not shut off, that would indicate a bad ignition switch.

As far as the bendix gear not engaging onto the flexplate, you may have gotten a bad starter out of the box.

Also, did you replace your battery cables?

Just a few suggestions

"Keep Coming Back, It Works... If You Work It"!!!
Jim - XJ Addict

Last edited by jfxj67; 11-18-2012 at 11:45 PM.
jfxj67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 05:14 AM   #17
built2kill

Ruled that out this morning when I turned the key the blows shut off. Just to make sure I'm doing it right I am suppose to put touch a wire to the solenoid post to the positive battery post right? I tried touch both with a screw driver it worked once but won't do it again.

I've tried putting the truck in N an starting to see if its my NSS but that doesn't work. I did not replace my batt cables yet. Probably going to buy some today and try that. I was going to try installing a push button straight to the starter solenoid and a 12v source but i can't even get my starter to work manually it just spins.
built2kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #18
built2kill

I was able to start the truck with a wire to the starter and battery with the key on. Fired right up! But still won't work using the ignition. What else can I check?
Old 11-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #19
wasillashack

Check for 12 volts at the starter solenoid both at the battery post and starter signal wire from the ig switch, clean all electrical connections between the battery and starter, including the solenoid connections, with a wire brush until you heve nothing but bright metalCheck all cable and wire ends for corrosion between the connector and the wire.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #20
built2kill

I cleaned the grounds, installed a new rear ground (4awg) and installed a push button start this weekend. Today I drove the jeep, every time I started the car I tried to do it Normal without the button. It started normal about 3 times out of like 10. And when I was pulling into the driveway ( slight incline) it stalled! It hasn't done that before. This damn truck has a mind of its own. On a tight budget right so it's hard to just go out and buy parts. What else can I try out to figure out what's my problem?
Old 11-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #21
bottomsup

Garage

I've had 2 96 XJs with the exact same no start issue. It was the ignition switch on both. IMO that would be my next move.

As far as the stall coming into your driveway, it sounds like you may have to reset the adaptive memory of the computer. With the low voltage and ground work you have done it could have glitched. You can try unhooking the battery for a couple of hours, but you might have to take it to a shop that can get deep enough into the computer with a scanner to reset it.
bottomsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #22
cvinroot

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2kill
Anyone have any ideas?
I'm new here but older cars, even Jeeps, have a solenoid that sits on the starter and when the starter spins, a centrifugal spring pushes the starter gear forward to engage the flywheel on the engine. Check that. You should hear an audible "click" when it engages.
cvinroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #23
cvinroot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvinroot

I'm new here but older cars, even Jeeps, have a solenoid that sits on the starter and when the starter spins, a centrifugal spring pushes the starter gear forward to engage the flywheel on the engine. Check that. You should hear an audible "click" when it engages.
I'm so new, I didn't check the second page, sorry!
cvinroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #24
built2kill

I bought a new ignition switch today going to install it this week. But I just had a friend come by with his OBD reader and the NSS came up! I thought I was clear of that because my truck won't start in neutral or any other gear and I have reverse lights. I'm so confused on this damn truck!
Old 11-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #25
bottomsup

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2kill View Post
I bought a new ignition switch today going to install it this week. But I just had a friend come by with his OBD reader and the NSS came up! I thought I was clear of that because my truck won't start in neutral or any other gear and I have reverse lights. I'm so confused on this damn truck!
I thought you had ruled the NSS switch out already. My suggestion for the ignition switch was based on that. Seeing as the scanner picked up the NSS code that changes everything.

The neutral switch and reverse light switch are in the same unit but operate on 2 different circuits. One side of the switch working or not has no effect on the other. The Jeep should start in P & N only.

Take the ignition switch back and get a NSS. Sorry to lead you a stray.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #26
built2kill

I thought It was eliminated also based on what I read online. But it not starting in neutral doesn't make a difference either? Should I pull the switch clean it and reinstall it before I return the switch? I hope that works because I can't afford to buy a new damn NSS.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #27
creeper2012

One of my wheeling buddies had his starter go out on the trail... Same symptoms as you. Wouldn't engage with the key, but would spin. Was always able to start it with the old screwdriver method and a replacement starter solved the problem. I was always under the impression myself that the natural torque of the starter would engage the bendix, but in his case, the solenoid actually does the engaging. We could even engage it without the starter spinning while we had it off the jeep, but we couldn't get it to work with the key after it was installed... only with the screwdriver. Moral of the story is I would say you caught a starter with a shady solenoid if it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't (with the key) and you can get it to work the old fashioned way.
creeper2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #28
built2kill

Since I have installed my push button starter tho it starts every time. It's just It only starts sometimes ( rarely) with the key
Old 11-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #29
creeper2012

Might take a look at your starter relay. If your push button bypasses it, and your key sometimes works, sounds like it could be sticking. Could be as simple as a corroded connection. I'd at least give it a visual before you install the switch.
creeper2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:26 AM   #30
bottomsup

Garage

Yes you can clean the NSS. Watch out for the little cylinder springs behind the contacts on the arm. If the contacts inside the switch do not look burnt then clean out all the old grease re-lube it and stick it back together.

M-COTM
December 2012 & 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Cherokee Stock Technical Forum