need to replace heater core

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Cherokee Stock Technical Forum

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Chrysler Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
rangerfx4man
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default need to replace heater core

hi all. my soon to be wifes 2000 cheeroke's heater core is shot. i need to replace it and can't afford to pay someone to do it. i have searched the forumn and some say you have to take the whole dash out and some say there is just a panel under neithe the dash that you have to remove. could someone please tell me the easiest way to do this without having to disconnect the a/c and everything. thanks

rangerfx4man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
muddeprived
Retired Moderator
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

I've been told you can do it just by pulling the passenger side of the dash forward but that still is a bit of work to do. It's not easy but it's do-able. I need mine replaced (2001) but i been putting it off for 2 years by running aftermarket heater. I just don't feel like digging into the dash.

http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/index.html :thumbsup:
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:50 AM   #3
jeepgod
Banned
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

discharge A/C system
unhook battery.
drain cooling system
disconnect heater hoses, inlet and outlet.
remove consul. place all nuts bolts and screws seprate from everything else! mark them as, (consul hardware)
remove electrical connectors from blower motor. label connector with tape. (blower motor)
open airbox, remove lines from evaporator. be careful NOT to hurt the evaporator.
pull PCM away from firewall, DO NOT DISCONNECT WIRES!
now, disconnect all hoses and wires from air box assembly. NOTE: label all electrical connectors with tape, and name it where ever it came from, use color coding.

remove heater core from box.

replace everything as you took it out.

recharge A/C system with approved, proper refrigerant, ensure oild is replaced also.

i would recommend getting it recharged at a shop. and let them figure out how much oil you lost. cause if it breaks, its on them.

Comments
Add a comment...

Read more: How do i replace the heater core on a 1998 jeep cherokee sport | Answerbag How do i replace the heater core on a 1998 jeep cherokee sport | Answerbag

jeepgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Cherokee Stock Technical Forum