New belt squeals on start up

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Cherokee Stock Technical Forum

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Chrysler Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
xjman4life
Jr Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Default New belt squeals on start up

Im having belt squealing on start up only. It never did it before. I have tried adjusting my belt numerous times. I had it so tight at one point that the engine refused to start. So I backed it off and then it went away. The next day it squealed on start up and will repeat on every cold start. Sounds like it is coming from the AC pulley. I've asked around to advance and autozone but no one says they have a tension checking tool.

Any ideas?

Off Road 31 inch Maxxis Bighorns
Skyjacker Hydros
Front Tow Hooks
Off road scars were free.
xjman4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
tlustyp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have had this happen to me. It wore off after a bit. I also have used some soap to lubricate, there is also belt dressing.
tlustyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
18Dmedic

Idler pulley needs to be replaced. The bearings are garbage on that thing. It is a common problem on the XJ. Replace the belt too while you're at it.
"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are.""De Oppresso Liber"
18Dmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:45 PM   #4
LeonFickett
Veteran

i put on a new serpintine belt like a month ago, the belt should actually have about 1/4-1/2 of deflection when you push on it, so it should be tight but not insanly rock tight.
LeonFickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:13 PM   #5
shortbus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonFickett View Post
i put on a new serpintine belt like a month ago, the belt should actually have about 1/4-1/2 of deflection when you push on it, so it should be tight but not insanly rock tight.
at which point on the belt? like between what two pulleys?
Old 05-02-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
LeonFickett
Veteran

feel for tension between the tension adjustor pulley and the bottom large idle pulley, it should be tight but still have some flex
Old 05-02-2011, 05:35 PM   #7
shortbus

you mean the tensioner and the crank pulley?
Old 05-02-2011, 06:10 PM   #8
LeonFickett
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbus View Post
you mean the tensioner and the crank pulley?
yes, as i remember they are like 5-6 inches from each other, and yes its the pulley that provides power to all the other pulleys
Old 05-02-2011, 07:13 PM   #9
shortbus

good to know, thank you
Old 05-04-2011, 08:18 AM   #10
pizzaman3872
Veteran
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

put 2 dabs of die electric grease ford had problems with there belts and this was what worked if there is no other problems

99 3in rough country and jk shocks two toned to match big orange
pizzaman3872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #11
thanasi88

Mine was doing the same thing and I was about to drive it off a cliff. Started off squealing at start every once in a while, then over a few months progressed to all the time. Replaced belt several times, tryed different tensions.. real tight, real loose and every tension in between, soap, belt dressing, thought it was a pulley so since ac was new, alternator was new and power steering pump was new I replaced the only few parts with pulleys left, the water pump and the tension pulley and still squeaked. Ended up being a small pin hole leak in the radiator tucked away behind the fan shroud on the pass side by the fan clutch... what was happening is the hole was so small it was not casing any water on the ground or for the car to overheat so I never suspected it or thought to look. It was spraying coolant onto the fan thus onto the belt in a fine mist causing it to squeal. I replaced the radiator and issue resolved. So look for any small holes in the radiator that may be getting small amounts of slippery antifreeze on your serpentine belt.. Good luck.
thanasi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #12
Isaacnewton

Thank you guys so much for this forum! The pig squealing under the hood of my wife's 94 GC was about to drive us crazy. Everything I tried seemed to fix it for a while but it always seemed to come back with a vengeance. It started years ago but was intermittent. A bad water pump was the first culprit. Last year It got really bad and I found a tiny leak in the power steering hose. Fluid was spraying onto the belt. I changed the pump, hose and serpentine belt and expected it to go away. Wrong. It got worse. Next I changed both idler pulleys and tried belt sprays. Next I changed the fan clutch. I adjusted the belt tension numerous times. This weekend I decided to replace the alternator. While pulling it out I noticed antifreeze on the fan blade and serpentine belt. I traced it to a leaking radiator. I went ahead and installed the new alternator since the old one had 125k miles on it. I cleaned the belt and hosed down all the parts with soap and water. Everything was new and clean. I was sure the new radiator and clean pulleys would stop the squeal. Wrong again!
I finally found a video on this forum which explained how to check the alignment of the power steering pump! That was it! The pump pulley was about 1/8" too far from the pump. I moved it with a bolt & washer assembly and presto! The pig died and the squeal disappeared.
Thanks for your help!

Isaacnewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Cherokee Stock Technical Forum