A-Pillar Interior Trim Remove and Replace

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Cherokee Stock Technical Forum

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 08:10 AM   #1
brocsiefert
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default A-Pillar Interior Trim Remove and Replace

This last year I removed and replaced the headliner. I didn't remove the A-pillar interior trim but only popped it loose to slide the old headliner out and the new back in. Unfortunately in doing so I broke two of the molded clips near the top on the A-pillar trim on the driver's side, which now rattles driving down the road.

I bought a new trim piece but need to remove the old piece before replacing and I don't have a clue on how it comes out short of removing the entire dash. I have a hard time believing this was the way it was designed.

Can anyone tell me how to take the old one out (in pieces is fine with me) and how install the new without damaging it?

Thanks.

brocsiefert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2017, 03:17 PM   #2
Wiebo
Gumboot Helicopter Pilot

Is your issue because you can't figure out how to get the bottom of the a-pillar trim back down in between the side wall and the side of the dash?
Wiebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:02 PM   #3
brocsiefert

Exactly. How to get the old out from between the side wall and side of the dash and new in. Obviously I'm not too fussy about the coming out but the going in could be a big problem if I break the new piece trying to force it in.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:16 AM   #4
Ralph77
Experienced

Will require a little bit of dash removal but if I remember correctly nothing crazy. I have pulled overhead console headliners from a couple parts Jeeps. I am doing this from memory so might not be exactly right. Remove the bezel around the radio. Just pops out. Move the shifter out of the way and yank from the bottom. Plastic clips there so be careful. Remove the bezel around the gauges. Want to say 4 screws. I don't think you have to pull the plastic around the steering wheel. If I remember correctly at this point you should be able to pop off the dash pad. Again carefully. Plastic clips here to. Now you should be able to get at the screws holding in the vents. On the passenger side you will need to get at the screws for the vent behind the air bag. Can be done without removing the air bag. Thinking on a running Jeep you might want to disconnect the battery first though. I did this on parts Jeeps so never worried about the air bag deploying. Once the vents are out of the way you have a clear shot. Again trying to do this from memory but it was easy enough.

Last edited by Ralph77; 01-10-2017 at 02:36 AM.
Ralph77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:28 AM   #5
Wiebo
Gumboot Helicopter Pilot

I didn't need to remove anything from the dash in order to get mine back in, but that's not to say it wasn't a bit of a fight

I ended up forcing it in (no breakage) very carefully, just kind of inching it down a bit at a time. I found that there is a bit of a soft spot once you get half way down the dash and then the trim piece just slips into place.

I'm not saying don't do what Ralph77 suggests, I just got away with not having to remove anything.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:41 PM   #6
93_cherokee
Veteran

I did too. I just rocked mine back n forth until it slid down far enough
93_cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:03 PM   #7
Wiebo
Gumboot Helicopter Pilot

Patience is key
Old 01-21-2017, 12:20 PM   #8
brocsiefert

Thanks to all for the advice. I'll start on this as soon as the weather warms up a bit and hopefully it works out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Cherokee Stock Technical Forum