Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

Very hard starting/ battery acting dead

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  jfxj67 
#1 ·
Ok so I have a 95 xj 4.0 ax15 and when I start the jeep it either shuts everything off like the battery is dead as a doorknob or it clicks at me like my battery is dead. After 3 or 4 trys it will turn over but very slowly. Once it's running everything is fine. I just replaced the alternator and the battery tested good at oriellys. Could this be my ignition switch? Or coil pack? Any help would be greatly appreciated

#5 ·
Check the battery with a hydrometer. It will tell you if the battery has a bad cell. The load meters at the auto parts places are junk. I fought with oreilly about there battery being bad till I took my hydrometer in and showed them it was bad. The next battery I took in after that cost the guy his kob and oreilly a few thousand $$$. I guy took the caps off the battery with it on the counter and sprayed me in the face with the electrolyte (sulfuric acid). I always go to a local battery warehouse now.

#7 ·
im with cheapbuild, i had the same issue n it tured out to be the brushes on my starter were none existent. my fix was gettin a new starter n that took care of my startin problem. also check the power wire that goes from the battery to the starter, if thats no good n oxidized or fallin apart, u will have the same problem cuz if the starters not gettin power from the batter, u will have not power elsewhere in ur jeep

#9 ·
I checked both negative wires to the negative terminal and they were very corroded. I replaced the terminal and wires and still nothing different. Also I forgot to mention the starter is a few months old and just had it tested a few days ago. It passed

#10 ·
Maybe a dumb question but I've seen this happen before, is the positive terminal tight on the post and not cracked at all?

If you had corrosion on the grounds there's a good chance the positive wire may be compromised as well.

Also, do you know what voltage the alternator is charging at?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.