Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

Vibration when in reverse

18K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  flawlesslydisturbed 
#1 ·
When i go out in the morning and start up my jeep and put it in reverse and back out of my driveway there is a very noticeable vibration. after a drive a little ways and then put it in reverse it is fine. has anyone had this issue or any idea what it could be:confused:

#2 ·
things you can check: unversal joints, how old are they? are they worn out? when were they repacked with grease? whats your drive angle look like? do you run a transfer case drop? too steep can cause things to bind up. this is the easy inexpensive stuff. next look at rear end. pull the cover and look for metal flake in the gear lube and the casing, clean it and use white grease to check gear/ pinion pattern is right. if everthings good id probably look at the tranny, mainly the output shaft. pull the boot off and look for flake, lube or anything that might show unusual wear. metal and grease heat up and become more flexible and more forgiving to misallignments. also, look at things around your driveline that might be hanging up; cables, body parts, ext. i once had a fender flare rubbing at full turn and spent a whole day pulling out front brakes, axles , drive line everything just too find the rub marks at 1:00 in the morning. lesson learned. good luck.

#4 ·
i dont think its anything in the driveline cause it does it when i am not moving. i think i am going to do a tune up cause i noticed that the plugs were getting worn down and gaped to much and it only does it sometimes like when it is cold. could worn plugs cause it to run rough at start up but fine at operating temp?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.