Recommened spark plugs and wires

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > General Jeep Cherokee Discussion

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Chrysler Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
kidcurrie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Recommened spark plugs and wires

Can anyone recomend a good set of spark plugs and wires for good performance and better mpg ? I am a recent member and owner of a 98 cherokee classic 4.0 with a banks header and k&N cold air ducting.I just ordered a SLR performance chip for 70.00 dollars. They claim improved h.p. and mpg. I read somewhere that gapping your plugs at .045-.050 is a good thing ? any suggestions.

kidcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
jeepride

I have had good luck with the napa belden plug wires champion truck plugs is what most jeepers recommend.

Riden High Liven Low
jeepride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
tbone

I'm using the wires that Advance Auto sells not sure right off what the brand is. As for plugs, I tried Bosh and the XJ ran light s*it, put in a set of Champions and now it runs great.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
kidcurrie

Thanks for your input I am hearing that bullet proof six likes good ole champion truck plugs. Theres no point in changing what works. Now I wonder if buying this performance chip is going to be worth while
kidcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
OAS
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepride View Post
I have had good luck with the napa belden plug wires champion truck plugs is what most jeepers recommend.

I saw a set of the Napa Belden wires at a local oilfield buisness.
They impressed me so much i bought a set for my Bronco2.
GREAT wires! Top notch and made by the same co. that makes Champion plugs. (federal mogul)

Gonna use em in the 4.0 this spring along with Napa cap and rotor.
Napa IS the good stuff!

Plugs?
Not so sure.
Leaning towards Champion. most likely their double platinums?
Old 02-14-2010, 05:45 AM   #6
muddeprived
Retired Moderator
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

I can't comment on the performance chip. I never hear about them much on the forums so I guess the gains aren't what's desired for the money.

If you want guaranteed performance gains, upgrade the headers, exhaust, and intake (which u've done some already). If you got big tires on there, regear.

My jeep doesn't like other plugs much. It runs best on champions but I've been told of a TSB that recommends NGK plugs and they've been working well on my jeep. If you want to experiment with other high tech plugs, keep your receipt cuz you just might have to return them.

http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/index.html :thumbsup:

Last edited by muddeprived; 02-14-2010 at 05:48 AM.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #7
aka_BountyHunter
Seasoned

I too tried the Bosch Platinum 4+ in my 98 XJ Classic and it ran like crap. So atthe recommendation of several Jeeper friends I put a set of Champion Double Platinum's back in it and now it SCREAMS while still getting 19city/22hwy. As for wires, I went with MSD Super Conductors. I'm running a JBA Header and a Spectre Cold Air Induction as well.
aka_BountyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #8
CT99XJ
SuperMod

Garage

Chrysler products come from the factory with Champion plugs, hence the reason they run so much better. I have a set of Accels and they actually run very well.
96 ZJ, "Projekt 318"-5.5" and 33" KM2's, Clayton longarm front/short arm rear, Clayton trackbar/bracket, 1-ton steering,, Bilsteins, leather, sunroof, 242 swap, Magnum 318 with stuff and things attached to it, lots more to come
April 2010/May 2011 Cherokee of the Month
July 2013 Grand Cherokee of the Month

CT99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
Mud_Pig
Experienced

For wires i would recomend the factory stuff, chrysler sells a kit that has wires, cap, and rotor for a decent price. These are the only wires I use now in my Jeeps and have never had an issue. I change them every 50,000 k's and they are still in good shape(no arching) when I take them off, I just do it as regular maintnence.

The part# for the kit is : SPC40604AA

Last edited by Mud_Pig; 08-13-2010 at 06:18 AM.
Mud_Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #10
jeepgod
Banned

I have a JET performance chip stage 2 and have owned the stage 1 also........unles your vehicle is highly modified, you will not notice a lot of difference or maybe no difference at all. I am running Brand New 24# Ford Cobra Racing injectors on a 4.7 stroker engine with a lot of other mods too and I could see a worthwhile and noticeable difference but did not notice any difference before the mods and have heard a lot of other people did not notice a difference either before mods. Even with a high flow air filter and exhaust there was no diff. until I went extreme. I am not getting any worse fuel mileage than before the chip with those same mods and I did test it and the difference was an actual 1mpg better for a grad total of about 9.7 mpg
jeepgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:55 AM   #11
ColoradoXj

Default Spark plugs

I run E3 plugs on mine and my sons like those plugs the best. also get 8.5 mm plug wires. cheapest place Ebay. havent had any problem with wire from ebay or the spark plugs from checker.
ColoradoXj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #12
greenneck
Experienced

Kinda out of place here, but what differnce do spark plugs really make? A spark is a spark to me and I dont get how one style is different from another of the same brand. Differnt brands makes some sense, but how are double platinum champions better than the cheapest ones by them?
greenneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #13
XJPioneer
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenneck View Post
Kinda out of place here, but what differnce do spark plugs really make? A spark is a spark to me and I dont get how one style is different from another of the same brand. Differnt brands makes some sense, but how are double platinum champions better than the cheapest ones by them?
the only thing I have heard about these claims are that since Champion is the "moper plug" The head of our motors were designed with the Champion plug in mind. Apparently they are the exact right size for proper combustion and what not. Atleast that's what my buddy at Jeep told me.
XJPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:12 AM   #14
86rokee
Veteran

that is a good question. i just bought the champion 412 rc12lyc plugs todays. but i know bosch just doesnt run right in any car ive owned yet. even my girlfriends jetta doesnt like the nazi plugs
94 Z28 LT1 350 107k, wreck@130mph-sold
93 yamaha FZR 600-sold
92 ford probe gt 2.2l turbo, greddy bov ,boost controller, 2.5" cat back, flowmaster 13psi boost-sold
91 xj limited no cat and flowmaster:P-traded for 98 eclipse
93 zj gone
86 xj 2 door gone
86rokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #15
rob-xj
The Lighting Guru

since ive had mine i replace the plugs with the champs and the coil pack too. i still get that damn check engine light but only if i beat on her but since ive been in south jersey its been runnin good.

Originally Posted by Lyon View Post
Like a good neighbor State Farm is there.........With Rob the lighting Guru.
rob-xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > General Jeep Cherokee Discussion