My Dailey progress 1999 Xj sport Build

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Builds

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Chrysler Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
jeeplover
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My Dailey progress 1999 Xj sport Build

I should have started this a month ago when I picked up my XJ because not having a job has become easier with nothing to do but play with my XJ.
The first thing I did was replace the front bearings I did net know were bad for the guy that sold it to me( I bought over the internet 120 miles from home.
The job went well, I found the bottom bolts were snapped off on the brake calipers when I removed them so I drilled and tapped new ones with a non metric size. OH Ya this all started when I went to change the front U-Joints. I wander what keeps water from going in the shaft? The axle shaft had rust about halfway back.

jeeplover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
jeeplover

Default Next day_

Well I thought I purchased a jeep with very little RUST . Best part is it's only concentrated in a couple spots
  • Under the front drivers carpet (not passangers side) wet boots
  • The rocker panels(only on the back end)
  • The inside of the unaframe
So I pulled the seats and carpet, welded a new plate over the hole, POR 15 the pan then put a layer of fiberglass running up the sides about 2" like a swimming pool.
While the seat was out I welded the 4 joints that broke ( thought I was leaning a bit and sitting low.
I powerwashed all the seats now they look new(used oxy clean--thanks Billy)

Old 09-10-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
jeeplover

Default Day 5 Rocker Panel repair

The rocker panels were not as bad as I have seen others. I cut out the rusted spot. Went to tractor supply and got a 6" x 16" 20ga steel. made a bendy(brake) thing with some hinges and 4 X 4 ALUM Angle, formed the profile- welded the new piece in. por 15. self etching primer.. BAM! went down to the paint shop to have them mix my color (gunmetal pearl).
I thought I took more pis in the process. OH... I bought a under coating spray gun and added a long ext on it, then sprayed POR 15 in the rockers to STOP THE RUST . This winter or sooner I will take the doors off on fix the bottoms, there not bad at all.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:36 PM   #4
jeeplover

Default Day 7, 8 ,9 ,11,15 no rest a 2" lift

Ordered a 2" aal, front spacer and new shocks from zone.
First picture is the day I picked it up.
pic 2 is Day 10 (labor day weekend) with new 235/75/15 Cooper Discover.
I drove it for about 3 days and decided to do a TC drop because I think I feel a little vib about 40-50mph, 1/2" spacers seams to work. It was a Bit** to get the bolts out. I drilled new 3/8" SS bolts and had to drill a 1.25 hole in the side of the frame to get the new bolt in. I will weld a plate over the hole once I know it all good. ( there are other holes in the frame the same size..do you think I need to patch it? ) i will post pictures later. I plan to do more mods, like get more HP, spare tire rack, bumpers and fog lights. I just want to find a place in Michigan to have fun with it
I did spend a day buffing it and using Back to Black on the bumpers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Builds