Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

save a pos heep build

15K views 24 replies 3 participants last post by  86rokee 
#1 ·
heres my 89 laredo i bought wrecked for $500, major mess. bent draglink, bent rear axle, smashed bumpers, fender, busted hatch, pushed in quarter panel busted grill....

See less See more
#3 ·
I just got back from picking up a porta-power from a friend and for $60 i scored a set of black trimmed fenders, tail light and rear hatch. everything else i need is odd ball crap. so on my list now:

Passenger side dana 35 axle shaft
Bumpers, stock or custom
grill insert & headlight bezels
Set of s10 leafs for bastard packs
V8 ZJ front coils plus 3" worth of factory xj isolators for 5-6" front
MJ rear shackles
scoot stock track bar over one inch
shock extenders- autozone special
rear shocks off exploader
Used set of 33s

and thats the budget junkyard lift for 6" simple and easy.

Also the guy who i got parts from today has a 5 speed and will sell me everything i need for the swap for $200

#4 ·
i cant wait to put my new fenders on and the rear hatch and porta power the qrt out:)

#6 ·
might wanna get some control arms too

#7 ·
made some big progress today

#8 ·
got a inner axle at the junkyard and replaced my bent one. turns out i have a dana 35 non c clip. gotta love how easy that was to swap. I also changed my other fender out.
So in the last week I have fixed about everything on project POS. Drag link, bent axle, messed up fenders, header panel, quarter panel, tail light, front lights, hatch opens and I have a black hatch ready to swap out the cracked one. Now I need to fix my power locks and front 2 window motors. My locks try to click. My windows up front do nothing but the jeep came with 2 window motors and stuff. cig lighter/radio fuse pops everytime, need to solve that mystery too.
heres some pics now that both trimmed fenders are on it.

#9 ·
this is about as far as my progress will go on this jeep for a minute....Its now respectable enough and derivable. On the bright side i just started work again as a auto technician, and the pay is pretty good so that will help fund the stuff I need, otherwise its just going to sit due to lack of funds

#11 ·
I try,lol, helps being a well rounded mechanic with a big hammer:) lol. I still need to change the hatch and transfer over all the stuff as the new one has no wiper. need a set of 31 or 33s or find 2 more goodyear wranglers for the rear, love those tires. Now that I'm working day 3 suffering doing heater cores on explorers they might like me enough:) In this damn at will state a job is never secure and theres always some azzhole waiting to take your job if u get canned.I have to invest more in my tools, and jeep a lil at a time. I think a set of 33s are in order first

#18 ·
finally transfered the title into my name this week, removed the fender flares in the rear too. been real busy working which is good, so now Im looking for a used set of 31 or 32 or 33 tires. I think i may clear 33s but it will be close. rather use bigger tires for ground clearance, since your only as high as your differentials

#19 ·
new pics, rear hatch and grill on. now my clutch fan pulley bearing is bad, dealer only deal and i grabbed the wrong one today at the junkyard

#22 · (Edited)
getting ready to move forward with lifting it and a set of 31s i saw a set of goodyear a/t 31s for 700 at walmart

#23 ·
lol no goodyears on goodyear tires lol

#24 ·
pics a few days ago

Attachments

#25 ·
more

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.