XJ LCOG Daily Driver

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Builds

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
OcracokeOBX
Experienced
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default XJ LCOG Daily Driver

I've decided to redo my build thread...realized my last one had too many obnoxiously large photos. Have less photos now, and I read up this time on mass resizing with Photobucket

i was stock until about 3 months ago.

then i upsized to 31x10.5s with a washer on steering stops

then i spacer/shackled 2'' up..also threw away rear swaybar

did a 20% tint around this time as well, this is how it sits now

chopped my bumper

awesome IRO front tow hooks

diy disconnects

alternator cover i made

Last edited by OcracokeOBX; 01-01-2012 at 05:00 PM.
OcracokeOBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
BACKWOOD
Veteran

I like that quick n easy, alternator splash guard mod.
ARB front bumper & JCR rear.
Advanced Adapters SYE.
JCR 1 Ton OTK steering and T&T Customs Trac bar.

Project Goldielox
http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f2...oldielox-8054/
BACKWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
OcracokeOBX
Experienced

It has been awhile. Basically it sat like previously seen until I started working again in May. Since then, the following things have happened, in order:

only bought 2 of these at a time...just ordered the last two a couple days ago. 15x8 with 4'' BS

last poser shot for that lift height

then i put on 3.5'' RE coils, RE AAL in addition to my 2'' shackle, 4 RC hydros, and 4 degree shims and ubolts from IRO. I miraculously was able to not break any of my upper shock bolts!

homebrew rear brakeline extension bracket

Locked HP D30 / Chrysler 8.25

Last edited by OcracokeOBX; 06-30-2012 at 09:04 PM.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
LeonFickett
Veteran

My build is almost identical lol, i started with the same small budget boost, then RE full length AAL and 3.5in tuff country coils went in a few months later along with bumper trim. Maybe I should start a build thread finally..

edit: after installing my 3.5in coils I have yet to relocate my front brakeline, did you have any issues while flexing with the new coils and over extending brakelines? BTW I made the same bracket for the rear, free and works perfect.

Last edited by LeonFickett; 06-30-2012 at 09:03 PM.
LeonFickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
OcracokeOBX
Experienced

I also managed to acquire this intense trail damage from a tree while going way too hard in my backyard testing the lift...thank god I don't have a pre-97 fiberglass hatch

So that was fun. Now I need to pull the inner panel on the hatch and try to use a dead blow hammer to hammer out the dent enough that the windshield repair man can fit new glass on.

But anyways, yesterday was the day after lift isntall and I had to drive it to work. In the morning it did great but by the time I was getting home, I was getting crazy DW at about any speed over ~45 mph...quite sketchy. The way that it started fine in the morning but got so terrible so quick led me to suspect TRE's, so I spent today doing that. Quick test drive at 60 mph didn't get any DW, but it definitely felt like it wanted to start at some points.

And that's where I'm at right now. Tomorrow I plan to re-torque CA bushings, re-drill the trackbar hole and set my toe-in. Hoping to also get some work done on the dent. Last 2 wheels are in the mail and I'm picking up the 33x12.5s on the next paycheck in 2 weeks, assuming this DW doesnt continue eating my budget...I had planned to get some RC disconnects with the money I just got TRE's with, but it's not too big of a deal; I'll just continue treading lightly on the highway for a bit longer

Last edited by OcracokeOBX; 06-28-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
OcracokeOBX
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonFickett View Post
My build is almost identical lol, i started with the same small budget boost, then RE full length AAL and 3.5in tuff country coils went in a few months later along with bumper trim. Maybe I should start a build thread finally..

edit: after installing my 3.5in coils I have yet to relocate my front brakeline, did you have any issues while flexing with the new coils and over extending brakelines? BTW I made the same bracket for the rear, free and works perfect.
I almost wish I had just waited to go 3.5'' from the start, but the BB was fun too Only had a chance to flex it out once and I had to disconnect the front brakeline bracket and bend them straight really quick, and just left them hanging free for the time being. I plan to to re-drill them mounted lower some time this week.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #7
OcracokeOBX
Experienced

double post

Last edited by OcracokeOBX; 06-30-2012 at 09:15 PM. Reason: delete..
Old 06-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
LeonFickett
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcracokeOBX View Post
I almost wish I had just waited to go 3.5'' from the start, but the BB was fun too Only had a chance to flex it out once and I had to disconnect the front brakeline bracket and bend them straight really quick, and just left them hanging free for the time being. I plan to to re-drill them mounted lower some time this week.
I need to get around to re-drilling mine as well then. By any chance do you have any pics of the lift in with the Jeep sitting on level ground? I have the 2.5in RE aal as well, when I initially installed them I got closer to 3.5-4in of lift from them, i was wondering if yours sits high in the rear from using these AAL's in association with a 2in shackle? I was planning on picking up a 1in-1.5in shackle to even the rear with the front. Oh, you must be on stock control arms as well? run into any issues? I have yet to even get an alignment after installing the 3.5in coils, other than my own toe in/out adjustment, and I made it down the highway at 70mph just fine. I think adjustable arms aren't really necessary until you get into the 4in range.

Last edited by LeonFickett; 06-30-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #9
OcracokeOBX
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonFickett View Post
I need to get around to re-drilling mine as well then. By any chance do you have any pics of the lift in with the Jeep sitting on level ground? I have the 2.5in RE aal as well, when I initially installed them I got closer to 3.5-4in of lift from them, i was wondering if yours sits high in the rear from using these AAL's in association with a 2in shackle? I was planning on picking up a 1in-1.5in shackle to even the rear with the front. Oh, you must be on stock control arms as well? run into any issues? I have yet to even get an alignment after installing the 3.5in coils, other than my own toe in/out adjustment, and I made it down the highway 70mph just fine. I think adjustable arms arent really necessary until you get into the 4in range.
It's been sitting in my garage so I haven't been able to get a good level-ground pic but I'll get you one tomorrow. I haven't taken any measurements or anything, but I've definitely got a bit of a rake going on with the AAL+shackle. It's not bad at all though, I kind of like it, after being sagged in the rear for so long. I assume it'll settle out to be about even soon enough anyways.

I'm pretty positive that my intense DW was definitely influenced by the fact that the cotter pin on the homebrew disconnects I was running on BB height had tore a huge hole in my TRE that attaches the tie-rod to the drag link. That sucked.

Still on stock control arms for now, I think when I step up to 33s with these control arms though theyre gonna be annoyingly not pushed out far enough...after the tires Im hoping to order some IronMan adjustables.

I'm also getting a silght vibe through 30mph on acceleration, I guess I have to drop my TC a bit too for the time being

Last edited by OcracokeOBX; 06-30-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #10
OcracokeOBX
Experienced

Got a great toe-in dialed in today but when I went to re-drill my trackbar and had it off the axle, I realized how shot the end on the body was. So I ordered a brand new stock replacement Moog track bar from a classified ad on JeepForum for $70 bucks shipped, I'm pretty excited. I hope I don't regret not just going to an adjustable trackbar, but the deal on the Moog quality was hard to pass up. In the mean time I just put the trackbar back in it's stock location and it's been a huge improvement at 60mph, whereas I wasn't able to go over 45 on the way home Friday.
Here's a couple more pics including a level ground picture for you Leon

I will more than likely drop a level on the shackle or get a small spacer up front, the rake is a bit much. However when I trim I feel like it might work out as is, because I figure I won't be able to trim the rear up as high as the front anyways due to the seam. We will see when I get the 33's. I'm gonna go with some Sigma Mud claws that my buddy is getting me a good deal on mounted and balanced.

Last edited by OcracokeOBX; 07-02-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #11
LeonFickett
Veteran

Sweet, thanks man. Looks great! I trimmed up front so I have a "negative" rake without using a shackle. I think Im going to pick up a 2in shackle and use it in the 1.5in position.

Do you have any driveline vibs at that height? transfer-case drop?
Old 07-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #12
jakeWI
Wisconsin Wheeler
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

nice looking rig
Old 07-02-2012, 07:17 AM   #13
OcracokeOBX
Experienced

Thanks guys. Leon, slight vibe at 30mph. I guess I'll have to throw in a temporary t-case drop. I can't even consider a SYE until I get new tires, mine are seriously unsafe at this point. (Would a half-inch drop be worth my time, or do I need to drop it a full inch?) My vibe is barely noticeable, and I'm pretty obsessive about ground clearance)

JakeWI, sorry again about how long it took me to get back to you about the shocks. Hope you got my PM.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #14
LeonFickett
Veteran

I just had a slight vibe decelerating from 50 down. All my T-case drop consist of is a couple washers and 4 large nuts used as spacers. It's Only 3/4in drop and it has worked perfectly fine. I feel there is no need to drop a full inch if you don't have to.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #15
OcracokeOBX
Experienced

Sounds good Leon, looks like I'll be doing something similar soon.

Installed the Moog trackbar today and my death wobble troubles are totally behind me now, for the time being at least. Couple pics and a quick question associated with the last pic

The last pic...you can see how I haven't re-drilled the axle mount yet. See where the upper tab of the mount has been bent up from me flexing? Does re-drilling and moving over the trackbar let the TB have free movement? I plan on doing that anyways sometime this week but I'm wondering if I'll have to notch that tab with my angle grinder too. Edit: the more I look at the last pic in question it seems apparent that it's going to need to be notched. Just seems weird because I've never heard of anybody else having to do that.

I also need to notch the back of my front shock mounts for control arm clearance when flexing

Last edited by OcracokeOBX; 07-07-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Builds