XJSuperman's Operation Winter Ranger

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > General Vehicle Forum

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2017, 07:46 PM   #1
XJSuperman
Veteran
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Garage
Default XJSuperman's Operation Winter Ranger

Well, Im losing my mind, so I thought Id give it the ole college try and get it organized...

I bought a 1991 Ford Ranger back in December. Its 25 years old, its small, doggy, underpowered, and gutless, but its clean and drives smooth.

Its a 2.3L 4 cylinder with the 5 speed manual, regular cab, 2 wheel drive, and white. Its not pretty up close but you step back 5 yards or so and damn does she look good. Her name is OWR, short for Operation Winter Ranger. So named because I intend for it to be a winter beater, which just so happens to get double the gas mileage of the Jeep. And since most of my driving is to work and back, its doing just fine.

I missed rowing through the gears of my old ranger, and this has cured that. While slow to get there, she likes cruising at 65mph just fine, in fact more so than 55.

I bought her off a latino kid southwest of Ames, and the crazy kid took a personal check from me for the truck. I'm pretty sure I had it titled and plated and insured before my check was cashed. Crazy.

He didn't know as much as I would've liked, but here's what he said (not all was/is true FYI):
Previous owner (before the kid) was a firefighter, and he had her outfitted with lights and such for that. This is confirmed by the firefighter sticker in the window and the wiring I removed (it was already cut and disconnected, just not yanked out. He supposedly maintained it pretty well, and replaced the clutch (not so sure about that), 1-2 brake lines, and maybe a wheel cylinder?

The latino kid was next, and claims he only had it for 8 months or so. Didn't drive it much but to school and work around town. Claims he replaced the starter (possible), stereo (yep), and installed a 30" lightbar (soon to be on its way to Gluckmysock). The kid says the truck had 157,xxx miles on it, but he replaced the dash in an effort to get the fuel gauge to work......dammit. The gauge in the replacement used dash is not working, so Im sure it needs a sending unit, roughly $50 at NAPA here. The new dash has 24,xxx miles on it (and most likely rolled to be 124,xxx). But the truck has tow points on the front bumper, and they're reinforced back to the frame, so its possible this clean little truck was towed around the country for most of its life. And I'm sure glad it has those points, because the first time I ditch the thing, its gonna need tugged out. I bought the truck dirty, grimy, and loaded up with nails, screws, and spare change. The kid was also kind enough to leave me with a Hank Jr. cd case with a mexican CD inside. Cheeky bastard. For those of you who have netflix and have watched season 2 of "The Ranch", my drive home was like when they got the Bronco......

The first steps after getting home were to evaluate and gut it. I removed lightbar and excess wiring, and thoroughly cleaned/scrubbed/bleached the interior out. Both the bed and the cab were full of spare change, rusty drill bits, nails, and screws. It had several receipts from back in the early 2000s from parts stores within a couple-hour radius from where I bought it. I have no idea why someone would throw change and drill bits in the bed of a truck but what the hey, mine now. I swept out the bed to find it has a square hole and a couple odd holes all cut/drilled into the front right corner of the bed floor. Maybe it had a stack at one point, because the exhaust is cobbled together with a glasspack right after the cat, which is still there thank God. I will be replacing this with my own cobbled work soon. I'm not a real fan of the 8" exhaust tip made from an old coffee can...

So far I have replaced the following:
- oil/filter change (it was gross and pretty low)
- cheap NAPA shocks on all 4 corners (pretty sure it had originals from 91)
- blower motor resistor
- thermostat
- topped off the coolant
- removed the inch of heater hose with a leak in it

The last thing I did was add some Duplicolor spray can bedliner crap I had laying around. There is a combo of Plastidip and bedliner in the bed, on the tailgate, and on the grill, light bezels, and hood. I think the bumpers are paint. I touched them up and the rusted bottom 3" of the tailgate too. Which will not open at all, BTW.

So the current list of planned projects for OWR are as follows:
- check rear diff fluid
- investigate why the rear ABS light is on in the dash
- open tailgate
- remove more plastidip off light bezels
- replace/build exhaust
- tuneup
- replace sending unit and attempt to fix odometer reading

2001 XJ: 4" lift (Rustys LCAs, MetalCloak UCAs, Tuff Country coils, IRO aal), 31x10.50r15 Cooper STT Pros, front locker, SYE, custom gas tank skid, Durango steering box, Yakima roof rack on custom crossbars, WickedBilt LED lighting, 784 injectors, and Afe intake

1948 Sears utility trailer project

YouTube channel: XJSUPERMAN

Last edited by XJSuperman; 01-25-2017 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Pics
XJSuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2017, 08:10 PM   #2
XJSuperman
Veteran

Garage

2001 XJ: 4" lift (Rustys LCAs, MetalCloak UCAs, Tuff Country coils, IRO aal), 31x10.50r15 Cooper STT Pros, front locker, SYE, custom gas tank skid, Durango steering box, Yakima roof rack on custom crossbars, WickedBilt LED lighting, 784 injectors, and Afe intake

Last edited by XJSuperman; 01-25-2017 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Fixed the pics
Old 01-25-2017, 08:33 PM   #3
VaBeachMike

Garage

Should make you a good beater! Been looking at Rangers myself, just haven't found thr right one yet. I bought a new one in 1990 with the 4.0 and a 5 speed. It was a strong running rascal! Good Luck!
VaBeachMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2017, 10:52 AM   #4
Wiebo
Gumboot Helicopter Pilot

Nice little run around I taught myself to drive standard by "stealing" my Dad's little Chevy S10 when he went on vacation. I have always had an affinity for the small Rangers, S10's etc...would love to get back in one.
Wiebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:22 PM   #5
XJSuperman
Veteran

Garage

Well on the way to work today I felt a little bump lol. I hit a iowa pipeline protestor. Big furry bugger with a little white tail...

The Murdermobile as the guys at work are calling it, will be rebuilt. Just need a radiator, grille, headlight assembly, bezel, and need to hammer out the fender.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:23 PM   #6
VaBeachMike

Garage

Ouch!! Sorry you got a boo boo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2017, 01:51 PM   #7
wjlizard
Veteran

Hope you got to keep the deer. A little meat for your trouble would be nice.....don't know how I missed this thread though....nice little find, well was anyhow
Old 03-02-2017, 02:05 PM   #8
XJSuperman
Veteran

Garage

Didn't get the deer. Wasn't much left...

Old 03-02-2017, 04:00 PM   #9
VaBeachMike

Garage

Poor Bambi 🦌. Probably would not have been fit to eat anyway. Hate you messed your truck up.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:04 PM   #10
93_cherokee
Veteran

I love those single cab square body rangers. Always wanted one to put on bags.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:38 PM   #11
XJSuperman
Veteran

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBeachMike View Post
Poor Bambi 🦌. Probably would not have been fit to eat anyway. Hate you messed your truck up.

Ohh oh oh, this wasn't bambi. It was his mom, and shes dead. Very dead. Never gonna see her again. Had a friend pick me up at work and take me home because the truck wouldnt start this afternoon, and the radiator is leaking anyhow, but she saw it on the way up and said "holy ****, that was from you?!?!"

Guy at work went to lunch and couldnt believe the mess. He said you could see it a mile up the road. Blood everywhere, deer in pieces. Headlight parts scattered. I pulled into work, and as I bounced across a hole in the driveway, the guys said parts were falling off. Theres blood from the bumper to the tailgate, and fur in the rim, fender, and whats left of the grille. That little Ranger took it like a champ. 65mph

Old 03-02-2017, 05:19 PM   #12
VaBeachMike

Garage

You're lucky there wasn't more damage at its great that you didn't get hurt. Deer all over the place here in the rural areas. You have to be careful and watch for them.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:57 PM   #13
XJSuperman
Veteran

Garage

Me and lucky isn't really a common thing these days...

Yeah, Iowa is crawling with deer. I see them everyday, I just didn't see this one because it was on a hill (yes we have those) and it came from the other side of the road less than 1/2 a mile from the driveway for work.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:11 PM   #14
93_cherokee
Veteran

You have hills? We have gigantic mountains. Deer used to be around near me, but people started farming and building. Damn grocery stores and subdivisions are closing in on us and we only have farms on 2 sides of our neighborhood now. Haven't seen a deer within 50 miles of me in 20 years
Old 03-02-2017, 09:50 PM   #15
wjlizard
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_cherokee View Post
You have hills? We have gigantic mountains. Deer used to be around near me, but people started farming and building. Damn grocery stores and subdivisions are closing in on us and we only have farms on 2 sides of our neighborhood now. Haven't seen a deer within 50 miles of me in 20 years
Give it time 93. I'm just outside of metro Pittsburgh 12 mi to be exact. We have deer everywhere, even on Mt . Washington (overlooks the city). I hunt my backyard 2 acres not mountains or fields. Tons of wildlife in the city and within the city limits.

Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > General Vehicle Forum