Jeep Cherokee XJ - Blower Motor Resistor Replacement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > General Technical Forum > Technical Articles

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Chrysler Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 09:16 PM   #1
2000XJ
Retired Moderator
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Default Jeep Cherokee XJ - Blower Motor Resistor Replacement

Wow, it's been a while since I've updated this thread, but I haven't been doing too much with this one since it's just the DD. With that being said, the To-Do List for this one is (getting) long.

About a month ago the Blower Motor Resistor (BMR) gave out. I finally got around to fixing it today. It took all of 15 minutes. Here's the write-up on that for you guys. It's REALLY easy, and believe it or not, the stealership actually had the best price for the Blower Motor Resistor in my local area (North Jersey) - $58.00, I had auto parts stores quote me north of $70

You'll need:
Screwdriver
Quarter Inch Drive Ratchet
Quarter Inch Extension
5/16" socket

The BMR is located behind and under the glovebox. You need to remove both the glovebox and the kick panel underneath it - and the small light too. They're both held in by screws. You could probably get by with just removing the kick panel, but if you remove both you'll have a bit of extra space. The kick panel is held in place by two screws, get a lamp down there so that you can see them, since everything is black it all blends in.

This is what you'll be working with:

The BMR is the white part that is somewhat diamond shaped, and it has a harness with four wires running to it. It's held in place with 2 5/16" bolts. Remove both of them, and it'll pop right out.

Once it's out, remove the harness, it's held in place with a red bracket. The red bracket doesn't fully come out, just pull it back and then remove the harness from the BMR. Plug the new BMR in, and reverse the previous steps to button everything up.

Here's a picture showing the Old BMR versus the New BMR.

Trail Rig: 2000 XJ w/ 4.5" Lift, 35's, beadlocks, 4:1, Caged, Locked XJ D44 Rear, Locked D30, and a bunch of other things

Daily Driver: '07 A4 2.0T Quattro 6-speed

Former Daily Drivers: WK2, XJ, 4Runner, XJ, E30

Former Former Daily Driver: 2001 XJ Daily Driver, 2" BB, 245/70R16 AT's on Moabs
2000XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2010, 01:02 AM   #2
jfxj67
Renegade Mod
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Garage

Awesome Write-Up!!!

"Keep Coming Back, It Works... If You Work It"!!!
Jim - XJ Addict
jfxj67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #3
2000XJ
Retired Moderator

Thanks, I couldn't find anything good on the web before I did this except some crappy pictures of diagrams which weren't helpful, so I figured I'd make something more realistic.

Trail Rig: 2000 XJ w/ 4.5" Lift, 35's, beadlocks, 4:1, Caged, Locked XJ D44 Rear, Locked D30, and a bunch of other things

Former Former Daily Driver: 2001 XJ Daily Driver, 2" BB, 245/70R16 AT's on Moabs
Old 02-07-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
FLEXJ
Seasoned

could this cause my blower to only run defrost. no matter what setting i switch too, it only blows defrost. i can change the temp and fan speed...but not the location.
2000 XJ: Rock Krawler suspension w/Rusty's 8.5" springs, Iron Rock Offroad 5.5" leafs & 2.5" blocks, Yoko-Geo 35's, 16" Jeep Moabs, 1.25 spacers, Bushwackers, Lock-Right F/R, Bilstein 5150, Currie Anti-Rock Sway Bar, Currie CorrectLync HD Tie Rod, 7500lb winch, FlowMaster, KargoMaster, 60" Hi-Lift, Rusty's AirTube, Red-top Optima, Zone steering stabilizer, Daystar Super Bushing kit, Sony XPlod deck w/Bluetooth...http://www.youtube.com/user/ECnVA?feature=mhee
FLEXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:06 AM   #5
2000XJ
Retired Moderator

Probably not, your issue is more likely the settings (middle) knob, not the actual blower motor control knob (left knob). I would recommend switching out that panel (the one that has the three knobs on it), and this should take care of it. I had the same issue.

If you don't want to replace the whole panel (not difficult), you could just replace that backside of that middle knob.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:10 PM   #6
FLEXJ
Seasoned

sounds like a visit to the "yard" is in my future. thanks.
2000 XJ: Rock Krawler suspension w/Rusty's 8.5" springs, Iron Rock Offroad 5.5" leafs & 2.5" blocks, Yoko-Geo 35's, 16" Jeep Moabs, 1.25 spacers, Bushwackers, Lock-Right F/R, Bilstein 5150, Currie Anti-Rock Sway Bar, Currie CorrectLync HD Tie Rod, 7500lb winch, FlowMaster, KargoMaster, 60" Hi-Lift, Rusty's AirTube, Red-top Optima, Zone steering stabilizer, Daystar Super Bushing kit, Sony XPlod deck w/Bluetooth...http://www.youtube.com/user/ECnVA?feature=mhee
Old 02-14-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
holywolf

My heater worked great. Got in it, drove 1 mile with it working. Parked came back out. Fan does not blow at all, on any settings. It is a 94 grand cherokee....is this a BMR issue? If so, is it located in the same area?
holywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
littleblackxj
Web Wheeler
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLEXJ View Post
could this cause my blower to only run defrost. no matter what setting i switch too, it only blows defrost. i can change the temp and fan speed...but not the location.
That could also be a vacuum leak issue (that little bomb shapped canister on the passenger side behind the front bumper).
Old 02-15-2011, 06:18 AM   #9
2000XJ
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by holywolf View Post
My heater worked great. Got in it, drove 1 mile with it working. Parked came back out. Fan does not blow at all, on any settings. It is a 94 grand cherokee....is this a BMR issue? If so, is it located in the same area?
Typically you'll know when the BMR starts to go bad because it will actually burn out, and you'll wonder "what is that smell?" I would go with vacuum leak, but before you drive yourself nuts looking for that, I'd also change the switch panel - it's always the easiest and cheapest 1st step to troubleshooting this.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:37 PM   #10
XJHoss
Jr Member

Garage

2000XJ do your heated seats still work? I'm havin a little trouble with mine. Do you know anything about how they are controlled? I have the feeling the switches control some sort of timer or computer circuit, but not sure where its located.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:57 PM   #11
XJHoss
Jr Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJHoss View Post
2000XJ do your heated seats still work? I'm havin a little trouble with mine. Do you know anything about how they are controlled? I have the feeling the switches control some sort of timer or computer circuit, but not sure where its located.
Found the control console for the heat, under the passenger seat. So disregard that last post lol.
BTW nice write up!
Old 05-13-2011, 09:45 PM   #12
FLEXJ
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000XJ View Post
Probably not, your issue is more likely the settings (middle) knob, not the actual blower motor control knob (left knob). I would recommend switching out that panel (the one that has the three knobs on it), and this should take care of it. I had the same issue.

If you don't want to replace the whole panel (not difficult), you could just replace that backside of that middle knob.
ok...this has gone on long enough. went the the yard and bought a temperature control module (3 knob) and plugged it in...nothing changed. i still did not have control over where the air came out, could change temp and speed...but that's it. returned for a small 20% restocking fee. so it cost me like $8 to find out what is not causing the problem. please help.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:25 PM   #13
Lyon
Veteran
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Crawl under the steering column and look up at the side of the heater/AC box and check your vacuum connectors and lines. Make sure they are not broken.

Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #14
FLEXJ
Seasoned

tx. i'll check em' out.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:26 PM   #15
ph3nom3non03

hey new here and i have a question for you guru's. i am having a hell of a time trying to figure out why the blower motor consistently turns off and on a consecutive amount of time only on the 4th speed( its a 00 jeep cherokee sport 4.0L) i have replaced the blower 3x replaced the resistor 3x and have swapped the relay behind the glove box and even jumped a wire to run the same relay location without the relay and i have replaced the head control, has anyone ran into this before? cause like i said it will run perfectly fine on 1.2.3 but as soon as you throw into the 4th speed about after a minute it starts cycling the blower motor on and off and this is while its in the a/c blend cycle mode like making it come out on the fastest setting but will seem to work on the 4th speed on any other setting on the selector. any help would be seriously appreciated. thanks

ph3nom3non03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > General Technical Forum > Technical Articles