Prometer Tires?

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > General Technical Forum > Tires and Wheels

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Chrysler Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
barak
Experienced
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Prometer Tires?

Has anyone heard much about Prometer tires? I saw an add for almost brand new 245/75/16 LL850 mud tires set of 4 for 100. These are a 10 ply load range E tire. I googled and could not come up with much other than they are made in china , and one site that rates tires gave them a 520 for wear which is 36% higher than a standard mud tire. If they are a decent tire , for that price I might grab them , and have an extra set of tires sitting around if I need them.I managed to see 2 reviews that said they lasted , but they were a smaller tire .Also not sure how they would handle as a mostly DD , so if anyone has some input.

http://www.linglong.com.au/4WD_and_l...cks/LL850.html

Last edited by barak; 05-06-2012 at 12:04 AM.
barak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
muddeprived
Retired Moderator
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Looks more like an all terrain. I dunno about you but I wouldn't run 10 ply Load Range E tires on a station wagon. Really stiff tire and will probably ride like it's made of concrete lol.

If you want a cheap but better tire, check out treadwright tires. Both my jeeps run em and got nothing bad to say.

http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/index.html :thumbsup:
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
barak
Experienced

All tires are different , and people get confused when a load range E , LT tire says max 80 PSI. That is not what you run it at all the time , it depends on vehicle , load , tow or haul , etc. In my work truck it is a 1 ton diesel with a lot of gear in back , and I run at the max 80 PSI on the back and 70 on the front.The engine weights 1500 lbs alone , and then I have that much in the rear for weight in gear.On the Jeep I would run on road about 40 PSI , maybe a hair more , off road would air that down to around 25 or so if I need the extra traction. The tires I have on now are an 8 ply extra load tire , due to the previous owner having a small trailer to tow. They are currently running at 34 PSI. With the 10 ply the treads are thicker as well as the sidewall , so as long as you don't over pressure the ride should not be too bad , although it will be a little stiffer than your standard c or d tire that isn't as solid and has less pressure.
barak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:52 AM   #4
muddeprived
Retired Moderator
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by barak View Post
All tires are different , and people get confused when a load range E , LT tire says max 80 PSI. That is not what you run it at all the time , it depends on vehicle , load , tow or haul , etc. In my work truck it is a 1 ton diesel with a lot of gear in back , and I run at the max 80 PSI on the back and 70 on the front.The engine weights 1500 lbs alone , and then I have that much in the rear for weight in gear.On the Jeep I would run on road about 40 PSI , maybe a hair more , off road would air that down to around 25 or so if I need the extra traction. The tires I have on now are an 8 ply extra load tire , due to the previous owner having a small trailer to tow. They are currently running at 34 PSI. With the 10 ply the treads are thicker as well as the sidewall , so as long as you don't over pressure the ride should not be too bad , although it will be a little stiffer than your standard c or d tire that isn't as solid and has less pressure.
The last set of E tires I ran had to be aired to 28 psi to get an even tread contact patch but they rode god-awfully stiff. I immediately sold em off and get another set of C's. Luckily the treadwright tires in 16" size offers C,D,E ranges so I can get the C's. Most brands offer 16" tires in D or E.

The E's would be a more durable tire off road though.

http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/index.html :thumbsup:
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
CT99XJ
SuperMod

Garage

FWIW I have Prometers on my Jetta for now and they ride well, grip well, and handle well. They were cheap and have a nice tread, balanced easily, and they're not wearing quickly despite copious amounts of "spirited driving" and a few autocrosses.

96 ZJ, "Projekt 318"-5.5" and 33" KM2's, Clayton longarm front/short arm rear, Clayton trackbar/bracket, 1-ton steering,, Bilsteins, leather, sunroof, 242 swap, Magnum 318 with stuff and things attached to it, lots more to come
April 2010/May 2011 Cherokee of the Month
July 2013 Grand Cherokee of the Month

CT99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > General Technical Forum > Tires and Wheels