Prometer Tires?

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > General Technical Forum > Tires and Wheels

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Chrysler Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
barak
Experienced
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Prometer Tires?

Has anyone heard much about Prometer tires? I saw an add for almost brand new 245/75/16 LL850 mud tires set of 4 for 100. These are a 10 ply load range E tire. I googled and could not come up with much other than they are made in china , and one site that rates tires gave them a 520 for wear which is 36% higher than a standard mud tire. If they are a decent tire , for that price I might grab them , and have an extra set of tires sitting around if I need them.I managed to see 2 reviews that said they lasted , but they were a smaller tire .Also not sure how they would handle as a mostly DD , so if anyone has some input.

http://www.linglong.com.au/4WD_and_l...cks/LL850.html

Last edited by barak; 05-06-2012 at 12:04 AM.
barak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
muddeprived
Retired Moderator
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Looks more like an all terrain. I dunno about you but I wouldn't run 10 ply Load Range E tires on a station wagon. Really stiff tire and will probably ride like it's made of concrete lol.

If you want a cheap but better tire, check out treadwright tires. Both my jeeps run em and got nothing bad to say.

When asked if the Warriors could pull it off, Kerr responded, “Oh God, no. No!”

Kerr followed that exclamation with, “We had this guy named Michael Jordan on that team."
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
barak
Experienced

All tires are different , and people get confused when a load range E , LT tire says max 80 PSI. That is not what you run it at all the time , it depends on vehicle , load , tow or haul , etc. In my work truck it is a 1 ton diesel with a lot of gear in back , and I run at the max 80 PSI on the back and 70 on the front.The engine weights 1500 lbs alone , and then I have that much in the rear for weight in gear.On the Jeep I would run on road about 40 PSI , maybe a hair more , off road would air that down to around 25 or so if I need the extra traction. The tires I have on now are an 8 ply extra load tire , due to the previous owner having a small trailer to tow. They are currently running at 34 PSI. With the 10 ply the treads are thicker as well as the sidewall , so as long as you don't over pressure the ride should not be too bad , although it will be a little stiffer than your standard c or d tire that isn't as solid and has less pressure.
barak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:52 AM   #4
muddeprived
Retired Moderator
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by barak View Post
All tires are different , and people get confused when a load range E , LT tire says max 80 PSI. That is not what you run it at all the time , it depends on vehicle , load , tow or haul , etc. In my work truck it is a 1 ton diesel with a lot of gear in back , and I run at the max 80 PSI on the back and 70 on the front.The engine weights 1500 lbs alone , and then I have that much in the rear for weight in gear.On the Jeep I would run on road about 40 PSI , maybe a hair more , off road would air that down to around 25 or so if I need the extra traction. The tires I have on now are an 8 ply extra load tire , due to the previous owner having a small trailer to tow. They are currently running at 34 PSI. With the 10 ply the treads are thicker as well as the sidewall , so as long as you don't over pressure the ride should not be too bad , although it will be a little stiffer than your standard c or d tire that isn't as solid and has less pressure.
The last set of E tires I ran had to be aired to 28 psi to get an even tread contact patch but they rode god-awfully stiff. I immediately sold em off and get another set of C's. Luckily the treadwright tires in 16" size offers C,D,E ranges so I can get the C's. Most brands offer 16" tires in D or E.

The E's would be a more durable tire off road though.

When asked if the Warriors could pull it off, Kerr responded, “Oh God, no. No!”

Kerr followed that exclamation with, “We had this guy named Michael Jordan on that team."
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
CT99XJ
SuperMod

Garage

FWIW I have Prometers on my Jetta for now and they ride well, grip well, and handle well. They were cheap and have a nice tread, balanced easily, and they're not wearing quickly despite copious amounts of "spirited driving" and a few autocrosses.

96 ZJ, "Projekt 318"-5.5" and 33" KM2's, Clayton longarm, Clayton trackbar/bracket, 1-ton steering,, Bilsteins, leather, sunroof, 242 swap, Magnum 318 with stuff and things attached to it, lots more to come
April 2010/May 2011 Cherokee of the Month
July 2013 Grand Cherokee of the Month
November 2014 Grand Cherokee of the Month

CT99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > General Technical Forum > Tires and Wheels