Signs of CPS going bad?

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > General Technical Forum > General Equipment Discussion

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Chrysler Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
radrockclimber
Veteran
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Garage
Default Signs of CPS going bad?

My 88' is randomly dying only right after I stop in traffic, only at idle but otherwise it idles smooth. It will start right back up as if nothing happened. My question is would this possibly be my CPS going bad? What are the symptoms of your position sensor going bad?

Mikey

_=====,o00o,
//__l_l_,\____\,_____
l_/-\_l__l_/-\_|lllllll|
_{o}_}___{o}_}--o-}_}
radrockclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
bottomsup

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by radrockclimber View Post
My 88' is randomly dying only right after I stop in traffic, only at idle but otherwise it idles smooth. It will start right back up as if nothing happened. My question is would this possibly be my CPS going bad? What are the symptoms of your position sensor going bad?
Usually, (and I say that very loosely considering this is a Renix system), If the CPS causes the Jeep to stall, It would need to cool down for awhile before it would restart (if it will restart). I would look at IAC (idle air control valve) first. Second would be the TPS (throttle position sensor), Third, I have found a few times where people have adjusted the hard stop idle screw down to address the common high idle issue with these systems. The plate should be slightly cracked open to keep it from sticking against the body at full closed. Also make sure the throat of the throttle body is not coked up to bad.
bottomsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
norcalxj
Jr Member

Do what bottom said, clean the IAC and throttle body out. Then Test the TPS. And if that fails, you should clean your grounds(since yours is a renix). Why not test the CPS too?

norcalxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > General Technical Forum > General Equipment Discussion