XJSuperman's Jeep Trailer - Page 3

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > General Technical Forum > General Equipment Discussion

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2016, 08:54 PM   #31
XJSuperman
Veteran
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Garage

Today I spent the evening restoring an old telescoping jack from a New Holland square baler. It will be going on the trailer.

I removed half of the original mounting built-in to the top of the jack, welded a cap over it (you'd never know), and dismantled the entire thing before cleaning and throwing each piece into the glass bead cabinet. I blasted everything and promptly brought it all home and primed it and let cure by the heat of the woodstove. In the morning I shall paint. Then reassembly, and install. The only modification to the trailer will be a 3/4" hole drilled in the side of the tongue, and a small piece welded over the same area. This piece will hold the jack horizontal when I pivot it up out of the way. The welds can always be ground off should I decide return it to stock. And the hole can be welded up. But for now it will serve a purpose and be handier than anything else on the trailer.

No pics......YET...

2001 XJ: 4" lift (Rustys LCAs, MetalCloak UCAs, Tuff Country coils, IRO aal), 31x10.50r15 Cooper STT Pros, front locker, SYE, custom gas tank skid, Durango steering box, Yakima roof rack on custom crossbars, WickedBilt LED lighting, 784 injectors, and Afe intake

1948 Sears utility trailer project

YouTube channel: XJSUPERMAN
XJSuperman is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2016, 05:03 PM   #32
XJSuperman
Veteran

Garage

Pics of today and yesterday's project.

2001 XJ: 4" lift (Rustys LCAs, MetalCloak UCAs, Tuff Country coils, IRO aal), 31x10.50r15 Cooper STT Pros, front locker, SYE, custom gas tank skid, Durango steering box, Yakima roof rack on custom crossbars, WickedBilt LED lighting, 784 injectors, and Afe intake

Old 02-11-2016, 05:08 PM   #33
XJSuperman
Veteran

Garage

Old 02-11-2016, 10:57 PM   #34
Gluckmysock
Maximus Absentius Modus!

Garage

Veddy Nice!

1996 Cherokee classic. 100k Miles, I6 HO, AW4, Np242, D30/C8.25 3.5" RE lift
My build thread: Gemini
NP242 Hack n Tap (SYE) Install
Common links: Budget MODS List And All You Ever Wanted to Know About an XJ

December 2013 Stock Class Cherokee of the month
May 2015 Modified Cherokee XJ of the Month
Gluckmysock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:08 PM   #35
supermanda911

Garage

Sweet find!
Old 02-12-2016, 03:15 PM   #36
XJSuperman
Veteran

Garage

Thanks guys.

Today I spent 3.5 hours cleaning up my new-to-me old spare wheel. I had dad demount it at work, and I took the rim back too our shop and threw it in the glass bead cabinet. The cabinet was not happy in the freezing cold, air was freezing in the hoses. The wheel is an original Willys Jeep rim, and has a very very old tire on it, but the tube was bad, so Im waiting on my tube to get here, but in the meantime I have to get this rim bare, heated, primed, and then painted. Then the remount.

It looks like the wheel was red, then later painted white.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:14 PM   #37
Gluckmysock
Maximus Absentius Modus!

Garage

Veddy nice, but that hole looks huge!!

Old 02-12-2016, 04:27 PM   #38
XJSuperman
Veteran

Garage

Large diameter (5/8") valve stem and a massive hubcentric center.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:30 PM   #39
Gluckmysock
Maximus Absentius Modus!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJSuperman View Post
Large diameter (5/8") valve stem and a massive hubcentric center.
Must be a heck of a load rating!

Old 02-12-2016, 07:01 PM   #40
XJSuperman
Veteran

Garage

Yeah, 1948 manufacturing and a last-forever state of mind. Designed and built long before the crap we use and see today.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:20 PM   #41
Gluckmysock
Maximus Absentius Modus!

Garage

Yep, Lucky dog!!

Old 02-16-2016, 01:06 PM   #42
XJSuperman
Veteran

Garage

Today my tube came in for the spare tire, so I went and picked it up and dropped it off with my father to get remounted. Grabbed what I needed from the shop and ran home to start on the wheel bearings. Gotta check, and repack them for the Iowa trip. Just a little bit of progress, one step at a time.

Oh, and I need to mount the license plate too.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:38 PM   #43
XJSuperman
Veteran

Garage

Ok, spare tire/wheel is done, looks great, my buddy even balanced it for me, which is pretty impressive since its an old old tire and wheel off a Willys Jeep, and it took a lot of lead on both sides to get it.

Wheel bearings are complete as well. We reused the old Timkens in it, which were in great shape, and had to get new seals, and we got er dun Thursday nite. Friday at 10am I hit the road, and arrived in Ames, Iowa by 10pm. So 13 hours with lots of gas stops and an hour time change.

Trailer is amazing, and never stops impressing me. The Jeep knew it was there for sure though, which is understandable, but it did great.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:55 PM   #44
JandDGreens
Veteran

Default Pulling the trailer

I am curious, How you fell you XJ did and what Gear set is in it. I am concerned with how mine is going to tow up in the mountain passes, I did have some trouble with my aux. fan not helping out when it should have so I went ahead and just hard wired it with a fuse/manual switch and solenoid and run it anytime it is straining up the hills.
The reason I wanted to know what you think of the gearing for towing is. Is because I got lucky and scored some axles with 4.10's and once the trailer is closer to completion I will go ahead and put them in. I was going to put my Ford 8.8 W/3.73 gears in it and keep my tires at 31's. Now I think I will sell the axle and start looking for either a 44 (preferably) or a 8.8 with 4.10s to replace the Dana 35 some day. I would just change the gear set in the 8.25 but it would require a complete rebuild and I feel it is cheaper and something I can do myself if I just upgrade with an axle geared correctly. Like I did with the axles from my son's old XJ.
Sorry for such a long post but I am so stoked to be able to re-gear again on the cheap even though I a going back to a Dana 35 (I won't be going taller than my 31's for the time being).

I am glad you are happy with the way your trailer is working out. Cheers!!
JandDGreens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:12 PM   #45
XJSuperman
Veteran

Garage

Jeep has aw4 and 3.55 gears. It hated running 65-70mph on anything in the massive headwinds I had. Wind advisory from OH to IA the whole way with 60+mph gusts.

After 73mph it was easier to keep it in 4th, and not running 3 grand in 3rd, but that takes some doing in the wind and as loaded as I was. Braking was great, and the trailer doesn't have any. No problems there.

Trailer weighs 500lb empty. Loaded may have been 1000? And the Jeep was probably up to 4800.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > General Technical Forum > General Equipment Discussion