Codes from my 92 xj

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Cherokee Modified Technical Forum

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Chrysler Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2010, 09:51 AM   #1
2slw4u
Built Not Bought
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Codes from my 92 xj

MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON SO I WANT TO KNOW WHAT THIS CODE MEANS, I TURNED THE IGNITION OFF ON OFF ON OFF ON THEN WAITED FOR THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT TO START FLASHING. THE CODE WENT 1 QUICK FLASH SHORT PAUSE FLASHED TWICE THEN LONG PAUSE THEN FLASHED 4 TIMES THEN SHORT PAUSE THEN FLASHED ONCE THEN LONG PAUSE THEN 5 FLASHES SHORT PAUSE THE 5 FLASHES AGAIN. I THINK TO READ THE CODE AS 12 41 55, BUT I AM UNSURE IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME OUT THAT WOULD BE AWESOME.

ALSO MY VOLT GAUGE ON THE DASH GOES FROM 14 -9 THEN BACK UP OR SOME DAYS IT WILL SIT AT ABOUT 9-10, THEN SOME DAYS IT WILL BE FINE AT 14. I HAD MY WORK TEST MY ALTERNATOR AND IT SAYS ITS CHARGING AT 13.9-14.1 SO ITS GOOD JUST DONT KNOW IF THAT IS WHATS TRIGGURING MY CHECK ENGINE OF ITS SOMETHING ELSE IS WORNG. THE XJ ALSO HAS 225K ON IT SO HELP ME OUT PLEAS

P.S. SORRY FOR THE CAPS MY WORK KEYBOARD ONLY LIKES CAPS LOL.

My Build Thread --->> http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f2...uild-up-15089/
2slw4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
JeeperMatt
Veteran

Code 12-Memory to controller has been cleared within 50-l00 engine starts.
Code 41-Charging system circuit-output driver stage for generator field does not respond properly to the voltage regulator control signal.
Code 55-End of message.

Full list @ Jeep Cherokee Trouble Codes for future reference.

Id say your alternator issues are indeed the reason the CEL is on. Don't know much about troubleshooting other'n if it quits I probably need to pressure wash the mud out of it, lol.

SOLD :( Little Miss 4.0 / AX15 / NP231, SYE, Woods 'shaft / 8.8 / RE 4.5 LA Hybrid, HD 3/8 LCA pockets / 33x12.50 Kevlars, 15x8 / EBC Sport Rotors drilled, slotted, G/S pads, ext. s/s lines f/r / AJ SuperRails / Treks unibody stiffies / ZJ tierod, draglink / trimmed fenders, YJ flares / 136A alt / Optima RedTop / 6-ga charging system wiring / K&N intake, TB spacer / Banks header > 2.25" > hi-flo cat > 2.5" straight & dumped / C4x4 hooks / 2500w stereo
JeeperMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:26 PM   #3
2slw4u
Built Not Bought

Matt your awesome thanks for letting me know, i also contacted my local jeep dealer and the told me the same thing said my voltage regulator is going bad and the only way to get that taken care of is if i replace my alternator so i bought the alternator today and am installing it tomorrow as well as my front axle u joints lol thanks again

My Build Thread --->> http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f2...uild-up-15089/
2slw4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
BigBadXJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slw4u View Post
Matt your awesome thanks for letting me know, i also contacted my local jeep dealer and the told me the same thing said my voltage regulator is going bad and the only way to get that taken care of is if i replace my alternator so i bought the alternator today and am installing it tomorrow as well as my front axle u joints lol thanks again
Did this fix the problem??
Old 12-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #5
mbjeep91

I may be wrong but the voltage regulator on Cherokees as well as many other chrysler products is the PCM..... so basically you just have a bad alternator.... probably a bad connection inside or short brushes...
Old 12-03-2010, 02:19 PM   #6
teebogr81
Seasoned

I just had the same code 41 and replacing the alternator resolved my issue as well.
teebogr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:19 PM   #7
BigBadXJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbjeep91 View Post
I may be wrong but the voltage regulator on Cherokees as well as many other chrysler products is the PCM..... so basically you just have a bad alternator.... probably a bad connection inside or short brushes...
I just got one and it fixed the problem as well

Last edited by BigBadXJ; 12-03-2010 at 07:32 PM.
BigBadXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Cherokee Modified Technical Forum