Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

Getting ready for lift

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  2000XJ 
#1 ·
I am going to give my jeep a lift once front shafts are done; Old cat, muffler and tail pipe are out, so I though it is good time to work under it. As it stands right now, it measures just over 16" from the hub cup center to the fender flare lower end. I have S10 leafs that I took apart. I am basically looking to get rid of sag and have little lift that would not require SYE and t/case drop. How much lift would it tolerate? I am planning to put S10 main under existing main, and replace XJ second with S10 second. Or should I just add a S10 main and be done with it? I got set of JK stock shocks and two rear F150 shocks; not sure which ones to put in back.

#2 ·
You have a 98 and I'd bet 2" before you'd get vibes. That's how high I went at first and had to drop the t-case but that didn't help much so I got the sye. I have a 2001. Like they say, every jeep is different. It's all trial and error. Lift, drive, vibes or not, sye/drop or not.

As for the shocks, measure your compression/extended lengths once you get the lift done then you can decide which shock is long enough. I would personally go with JK since they are valved for jeeps would ride better than a light truck shock.

#3 ·
I'm with Mudd on this one. The later year XJ's are finicky when it comes to lifting and needing either a SYE or Tcase drop. My '00 XJ had only minimal vibes with a BB, so I didn't do either a SYE or Tcase drop because it really didn't need it, however when I do my BB on my blue rig it could go either way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.