Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

Getting ready for a lot of toys

5K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  2000XJ 
#1 ·
So I finally got my car accident settlement. It's going to leave me with about $1400 to spend on the heep. Looking for opinions....here's the shopping or shipping list so far. Supposedly getting fairly new 31's from my neighbor, and I like my stock painted steelies, so that's covered. Rusty's AAL 3". TC drop kit. Class 3 hitch on rear. Hook kit for the front. Safari Rack. CB. And an inverter with a compressor. I figure if i shop hard, I should cover all of that stuff and some extra u-joints and maybe some rebuildable spares as well.:dunno:

#7 ·
You are wasting your money on a AAL.

#8 ·
Avoid the AAL, you'll thank us and yourself later. I'd skip the TC drop and go right with the SYE first as well. Do it once, do it right. If you put up the money up front, you'll be better off than spending some now and having to revisit something later on. Take it from those of us who have gone through the middle steps... if we had avoided them we would've had more coin to drop later on.

#14 ·
You know, that's not all that bad of an idea. Just get some decent armor and lock the rear axle. Your jeep will go anywhere you will need it to go.

Another alternative is to use a bastard pack instead. Basically, you can use individual leafs from other vehicles to give you the lift you need.

#13 ·
300 for doors man thats alot of money... and I agree with the rest of them.. as far as a hitch buy it used or make one from some JY scrap.. thats cheep.. tow hooks for the front are not that much..
as far as skipping the lift and putting the 31's on you are going to rub lie crazy in the front... if you can not aford the leafs for the back get what you can now and then buy some leafs for the back later.. you said in 6 months you will have some more money.. well I will tell you in 6 months you will need it to lift the back up... if you are going to go with the aal's then git some shackles from a s10 or something so you can get a good hight in the back and will cover sag over the next few months... they are not that much even new... that way when your rear leafs settle in you will still have the hight you want.. this is a bdget left and that s why they call it that way... dont get to mad that everyone is saying not to go that route they just dont what you to spend money then not like what you paid for...

#19 ·
everyone has thier opinions about different products. before making any decisions read all the reviews you can. in most cases people wont take the time to type a bad review unless its justified and they are upset about something they got. it is less likely people will rave about something that worked they way they expected it too. i doubt anyone would lie about a product that worked and say it didnt or say a product that didnt work did work.

#20 ·
rustys lifts are fine, Mines been on long before I got the XJ, and its still in perfict shape. If another company doesnt come out with a good 8" soon, I will be getting one from them.

#21 ·
And an inverter with a compressor. :
Are you planning on running a 110V electric compressor with an inverter? I had the same idea, didn't work. You would think it would, but the inverters we buy inexpensively are not the type that put out the right type of current to start an electric motor. The current in your house is a sine wave current. The inverter puts out a similar current, but is a blocky wave minus the rounded part of the sine wave. It will run things, but does not start electric motors well. It might work if you had a motor with a start capacitor on it. But motors nowadays don't anymore.

#23 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.