1993 jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L 6cyl 4wd no check engine light cranks but no start.

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Grand Cherokee Technical Forum

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Chrysler Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2016, 08:42 AM   #1
MamabearCJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1993 jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L 6cyl 4wd no check engine light cranks but no start.

I bought my car used. At the time wbhen i started it it ran real loud and what id describe as "bubbly" and louder than i thought it should but it was a cheap car...and it was from my moms hubby at the time.. Last year i had to completely rebuild the transmission..tthe car gas been stolen vefore and recovered when previous owner had it. I dont have any other background than that really...when i turn car on and press on gas it hesitates.. i never got it looked at.. (stupid, i know) anyways more recently it has been hard to accelerate up hills on the freeway...etc its like i have to stomp on the pedal...Nd it seems like the min i put gas in i gotta put more in soon after...i drove it to the store and it drove there no sign of stalling. No sign of a rough idle. No sign of anything besides what it had been doing..i came out of the store an hour or two later and started the car...it was idling really rough...so i turned it off for a few mins and tried again...crank but no start and again...crank but no start....i had to call a tow. As i am waiting i try again, more then ten mins later, Nd it starts right up...it ran for about 7-8 mins and started roughly running i tried giving her gas and it seemed to make it worse and turns off. I was close to E on my gas tank so tow truck guy said he thinks im just out of gas but i had driven the car at a lower fuel level than it was at in the past. Anyways i get home put a half gallon in mind you it was reading just below the second line now after half gallon it is a lil above and it has been reading correctly since i got it. I put gas in try to start it does the same thing it did at the store. Even running a few secs and then turning off. I smell a lil gas outside but not in the cab..dont kniw if its from the spilled gas from using gas can or the fuel system on her. Im thinking it is the fuel pump.. i bought a gauge but someone wants me to check the cheaper part...fuel filter first....could it just be the alarm system?? Idk if my jeep still has one ..i have never heard it but i used to hhave original key and clicker but i lost both so i had a key made at Home Depot..
ANYONE HAD THIS HAPPEN TO THEM?
OR HAVE SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT IT MAY BE??
PLEASE HELP.. NEED MY CAR. THNX IN ADVANCE

MamabearCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2016, 11:01 AM   #2
Gluckmysock
Maximus Absentius Modus!

Garage

I'm leaning toward fuel pump and filter. FWIW, I never recommend letting the fuel run below 1/4 tank. It just stirs up dirt and crap that causes problems. not sure how many miles, but since it's a 93, I figure close to 200K.

1996 Cherokee classic. 100k Miles, I6 HO, AW4, Np242, D30/C8.25 3.5" RE lift
My build thread: Gemini
NP242 Hack n Tap (SYE) Install
Common links: Budget MODS List And All You Ever Wanted to Know About an XJ

December 2013 Stock Class Cherokee of the month
May 2015 Modified Cherokee XJ of the Month
Gluckmysock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:13 AM   #3
MamabearCJ

No actually its just 118k. She is my baby. Lol. I am thinking fuel pump as well and i bought the pressure gage for it..which was an arm and a leg..$50..but i had someone do it for me a d they lost the cap to my Schrader valve! Then put theiir finger on the valve and said "im not feeling any pressure" as i turned the key ??? sooooo i should probably do it myself. Lol. It should read betwedn 30-35 psi right? Will my missing cap have any effect??
Old 12-29-2016, 11:34 AM   #4
Gluckmysock
Maximus Absentius Modus!

Garage

the missing cap wont hurt anything. it's just to keep dirt out. Here is some help with the fuel pressure.

1996 Cherokee classic. 100k Miles, I6 HO, AW4, Np242, D30/C8.25 3.5" RE lift
My build thread: Gemini
NP242 Hack n Tap (SYE) Install
Common links: Budget MODS List And All You Ever Wanted to Know About an XJ

December 2013 Stock Class Cherokee of the month
May 2015 Modified Cherokee XJ of the Month
Gluckmysock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:44 AM   #5
MamabearCJ

Omg!! Thank you. I cant ****ing find the cap. Ugh. Okay gonna attempt checking the pressure. My car doesny idle though. It wont turn over. So i will just switch the key to the on position. Could a clogged filter effect pressure??
Old 12-29-2016, 12:11 PM   #6
MamabearCJ

So i hooked the gage up to tbe valve and when i did some gas came out as it said it would i had my helper turn the key on then off then on and nothing. It read zero psi. I tried tivhtening the gage and still got the same reading 0psi. So i had my helper try cranking the engine and now it wont even do that. It just makes a clicking noise like the battery is dead but the radio still comes on and the windows roll down...(although very slowwwwly) could i have a dead battery and still get some power or is it my alternator???
Old 12-29-2016, 01:12 PM   #7
wjlizard
Veteran

Sounds like a dead battery to me.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:55 PM   #8
MamabearCJ

Now i have a dead battery too. Wtf. Lol. Okay thank you.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:59 AM   #9
DaingMaing
Medicated and Dedicated

Garage

As a ZJ guy, I would recommend a new crank position sensor, a thorough cleaning of the intake Temperature sensor(IAC)in the intake manifold, then changing the the pressure regulator/fuel filter on the fuel tank, then if that isn't working well: the fuel pump. You may not have a bad fuel pump(although likely)... no sweat on the battery though.. it sounds like it should just charge back up just fine though.

Last edited by DaingMaing; 12-30-2016 at 03:46 AM.
DaingMaing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:54 PM   #10
MamabearCJ

Thank you. You two are the only people who read through all my horrible spelling mistakes and actually understood. Hahah. But you have a ZJ too? Man my Jeep is a real difficult one but i have always wanted a jeep...so dreams do come true. Hah my bro-in-law is gonna hook his code checker up to see if it tells me anything more...if not i will try everything you said. I wanna test everything before start buying parts...i already spent 50 on a gauge ??? see as your advice was so specific did you also have this prob? What year is yours??
Old 12-31-2016, 02:24 AM   #11
DaingMaing
Medicated and Dedicated

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamabearCJ View Post
Thank you. You two are the only people who read through all my horrible spelling mistakes and actually understood. Hahah. But you have a ZJ too? Man my Jeep is a real difficult one but i have always wanted a jeep...so dreams do come true. Hah my bro-in-law is gonna hook his code checker up to see if it tells me anything more...if not i will try everything you said. I wanna test everything before start buying parts...i already spent 50 on a gauge ??? see as your advice was so specific did you also have this prob? What year is yours??
Well I don't have the same year and the problem is not something I have had happen before; however, I know this rig's systems like the back of my hand. If the jeep starts and then then shuts down after a few seconds, you may have an Automatic Shutdown Relay issue as well. The Crank Position Sensor I suggested before could cause of this issue. I just don't know based on your story. Could be a Fuel Pump/Pressure Regulator-fuel filter or a Crank Position Sensor: or both. It is hard to say until yo0u start eliminating options as you try to fix it. I always suggest starting with the cheapest option before moving on to the more expensive parts.

Old 12-31-2016, 02:36 AM   #12
DaingMaing
Medicated and Dedicated

Garage

I should explain a bit better. The Automatic Shutdown Relay is responsible for disabling the engine should it not get any information from the security system, the crank position sensor, and the cam shaft position sensor. These are three areas that are covered by the ASD relay when the car is starting up. If the car starts but then shuts down after a few seconds of running; this is most likely your problem. It accomplishes shutting down the engine by disabling the fuel pump when the issues arise So this could be the reason why you got some gas coming out of the schrader valve on the fuel rail and then no fuel pressure shortly after the startup conditions.

The ASD system is designed to prevent: theft and dangerous operating conditions in your ZJ. If any of the sensors do not provide the correct level of information to the car's PCM, it will shut down the car after running for about three seconds. So if this is the issue you find yourself in; look no further than a Cam or Crank shaft position sensor(hopefully <fingers crossed>)or your security system is faulting out for some reason.

Last edited by DaingMaing; 12-31-2016 at 02:40 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:01 AM   #13
DaingMaing
Medicated and Dedicated

Garage

After reading your story again, I would bet all of my money on a Crank Position or Cam Position Sensor, Most likely the former. It is a classic CKPS going bad symptoms/Story. You can get them form Rockauto.com for cheap. Al though I would recommend the Omix then the Wells, and then the Delphi brands. Omix-Ada is as close to OEM as possible.

Old 01-01-2017, 04:37 PM   #14
MamabearCJ

Idk if i even still have my security system. I lost the original key and beeper but i never heard the alarm go off. There is a red light under the dash on the driver's side..idk what its for though.. the light under the radio that is for the alarm have never illuminated. Now as for the Crank Position Sensor .. wouuld that come up on a code checker??
Old 01-01-2017, 06:29 PM   #15
MamabearCJ

My car never backfired or stalled while driving. You dont think its a fuel problem??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Grand Cherokee Technical Forum