1993 jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L 6cyl 4wd no check engine light cranks but no start. - Page 2

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Grand Cherokee Technical Forum

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 12:15 AM   #16
DaingMaing
Medicated and Dedicated
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamabearCJ View Post
Im thinking it is the fuel pump.. i bought a gauge but someone wants me to check the cheaper part...fuel filter first....could it just be the alarm system?? Idk if my jeep still has one ..
The fuel filter on the ZJ is on the top of the fuel pimp in the gas tank. If you're gonna change that, you might as well change the fuel pump at the same time. (2 birds with one stone)The fuel filter is integrated into the pressure regulator for the fuel pump. The regulator is accessed when you drop the tank. It really isn't that hard to change, you just have to be very, very careful when dealing with a fuel cell. The fumes alone are enough to kill you and your car. I suggest that if you're gonna do this first( ~80$ for the regulator) make sure you're on an empty tank.

If you need directions/factory service manual that shows you how to do it; PM me.

Quote:
.. would that come up on a code checker??
If at all, not until it is totally bad. Even then, I am not sure there is a code for that one... if it does it would be something like "ASD Failure"

If I am not mistaken, on a pre 96ZJ to get the codes all you need to do is to turn the car on then off again, three times and then watch the blinking check engine light in a particular pattern to get your codes. I dont think you need a code reader to be 100% on.

Quote:
My car never backfired or stalled while driving. You dont think its a fuel problem??
I starting to think not, but it depends on what your ZJ is doing most commonly. It depends on how you answer my next questions.

1.) So it only cranks without starting somewhat frequently?

2.) The when it does, once it starts, it runs normal? no chugging/stalling/running rough?

3.) Is the cranking with no start becoming more common/frequent when you go to start the car for the first time that day?? or after a long extended period of time (>8 hrs) of not running?

Last edited by DaingMaing; 01-02-2017 at 12:48 AM.
DaingMaing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2017, 06:26 AM   #17
MamabearCJ

No it just started cranking and not starting.. it has started simce i had it towed but never for too long. It just shakes violently Nd shuts down.. that answers the first and second question...as for the third. No it did it after and 1 and 30 mins of sitting as i was in a store. It drove to the store perfect... Im at a loss. Oh and my alarm does work. I read somewhere it can cause your fuel pump not to switch on. I listened for the pump and heard nothing. Fuses are good
MamabearCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:15 AM   #18
MamabearCJ

Also fuel filter on zj is located under car just after the gas tank.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:50 PM   #19
MamabearCJ

Okay so i just checked the codes with they key. Im getting 12. 41. 55. (Yes i know 55 is end of codes.) Could a bad alternator cause my crank no start problem?? It would be why i cant hear my fuel pump kick on and why .y battery is dead...right?
Old 01-02-2017, 12:57 PM   #20
DaingMaing
Medicated and Dedicated

Garage

Quote:
Im at a loss. Oh and my alarm does work. I read somewhere it can cause your fuel pump not to switch on. I listened for the pump and heard nothing. Fuses are good
You should go back and reread what I said to you.

Quote:
Also fuel filter on zj is located under car just after the gas tank.
It must be an aftermarket add on. I could be mistaken, because I don't own a 93; however, I am pretty sure the fuel filter is in the pressure regulator IN the gas tank.

Quote:
Okay so i just checked the codes with they key. Im getting 12. 41. 55. (Yes i know 55 is end of codes.) Could a bad alternator cause my crank no start problem?? It would be why i cant hear my fuel pump kick on and why .y battery is dead...right?
You have many things going on there. 1) No, 2.) No it is not related, besides the ASD would have disabled the fuel pump even before you move the key to START. 3.) It could be why your battery is dead. IDK

I am still holding to my recommendation. Change the CKPS and maybe the cam position sensor. Your rig starting up fine but then violently chugging is a sign of it being very out of timing. CKPS...

Again, the security system, the CKPS, and CPS are all apart of the ASD circuit and if any are out of whack it will cause your rig to crank and not start by disabling the fuel pump.

It will start to become more frequent as the magnets degrade even more over time.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Last edited by DaingMaing; 01-02-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:05 PM   #21
MamabearCJ

I found the service manual last night after searching for so long...so now i have two. Lol. But no tthe fuel filtet is not after market the locatiom is factory. Under the car. ASD is an abbreviation for? Sorry i know you probably said..
Old 01-02-2017, 03:38 PM   #22
pizzaman3872
Veteran
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage

My 95 zj has the filter on the frame rail. Auto shut down asd. Sounds like a cps to me sounds just like my 95 was just doing

Sent from my Z959 using Tapatalk

gone=88 big orange
gone=99 red baby get er
build thread orangehttp://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f2...elivery-12335/

project Sunshine http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f2...unshine-50577/
pizzaman3872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:17 AM   #23
DaingMaing
Medicated and Dedicated

Garage

Automatic Shut Down

Old 01-03-2017, 04:46 AM   #24
VaBeachMike

Garage

Some aftermarket security systems have a start kill, which can disable the car where it will not start. Could this be your problem.
VaBeachMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:29 PM   #25
MamabearCJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaingMaing View Post
Automatic Shut toDown

Thank you. I read the whole sservuce manual lasr night. Lol. So the CPS can just randomly stop working out of nowhere? Is it fairly easy to swap out?
Old 01-03-2017, 05:31 PM   #26
MamabearCJ

Its the original SAM. It came equipped with the feature of killing the fuel pump when it is triggered. I have to uninstall it because i dont have original key or beeper... But i have to manually turn it off before uninstalling, right?
Old 01-03-2017, 05:33 PM   #27
MamabearCJ

Really? Omg im gonna check it out. Mu poor baby is outside in the rain. Hasnt been driven in what feels like forevver. Lol. So what did yiu do??
Old 01-03-2017, 06:33 PM   #28
DaingMaing
Medicated and Dedicated

Garage

Quote:
Thank you. I read the whole sservuce manual lasr night. Lol. So the CPS can just randomly stop working out of nowhere? Is it fairly easy to swap out?
Relatively. It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes for an average mechanic

Quote:
Its the original SAM. It came equipped with the feature of killing the fuel pump when it is triggered. I have to uninstall it because i dont have original key or beeper... But i have to manually turn it off before uninstalling, right?
You don't need the original key and you can buy the clickers on ebay or amazon. All you need to do is to have the clickers programmed at a dealership.

Last edited by DaingMaing; 01-03-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:48 PM   #29
MamabearCJ

Wow. Man this just is getting to be sooooo much work. Aand my Jeep is my only car. I cant program the clicker on my own??
Old 01-04-2017, 04:57 PM   #30
MamabearCJ

I found the clicker online for 39$

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Grand Cherokee Technical Forum