Fuel smell and alignment 2003 Grand

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Grand Cherokee Technical Forum

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2017, 06:19 AM   #1
muddeprived
Infected
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Default Fuel smell and alignment 2003 Grand

So my co-worker is coming over with her 2003 and I'm going to do an alignment. I've done countless alignments on different jeeps but no Grands. I know it's probably the same as the rest of them so that should be easy.

The fuel smell is what I need suggestions for. She said she smells fuel in the engine bay and when running the vents. It happens mostly when starting up. I'm think fuel rail or injector o-rings.

What else should I check or is known to be a fuel-smelling issue?

Thanks guys.

When asked if the Warriors could pull it off, Kerr responded, “Oh God, no. No!”

Kerr followed that exclamation with, “We had this guy named Michael Jordan on that team."

Quote:
.....but hey, it's all about being green nowadays. Cars don't rust out anymore they just biodegrade.........
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2017, 07:56 AM   #2
wjlizard
Veteran
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

The vac hoses are crap. They are probably dry rotted . Not the source of your smell I'm sure . The charcoal canister is in the rear bumper so also unlikely. Just as your probably suspecting O-ring or injectors. Fuel lines maybe rotted . What engine? The 4 liter I6 has plenty of room to investigate the V8 4.7 not so much very cramped under the hood. As for an alignment just the same as most vehicles pretty cut-and-dry
Old 04-19-2017, 08:34 AM   #3
PeterBWJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjlizard View Post
The vac hoses are crap. They are probably dry rotted . Not the source of your smell I'm sure . The charcoal canister is in the rear bumper so also unlikely. Just as your probably suspecting O-ring or injectors. Fuel lines maybe rotted . What engine? The 4 liter I6 has plenty of room to investigate the V8 4.7 not so much very cramped under the hood. As for an alignment just the same as most vehicles pretty cut-and-dry
Totally agree with above. Had that exact problem, but it has gotten much worse. One of the fuel hoses broke and I've lost about 2 gallons of gas. Thank god I had a knife and a spare piece of hose with so I fixed it right on the go. Will take care about the rest of the fuel hoses later on.
PeterBWJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2017, 08:42 AM   #4
muddeprived
Infected
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

It has the 6 cylinder. I think it has about 130k on it.

I'll check out the fuel lines. She said her brake lines had to be replaced due to rust so it's possible the lines corroded through.

When asked if the Warriors could pull it off, Kerr responded, “Oh God, no. No!”

Kerr followed that exclamation with, “We had this guy named Michael Jordan on that team."

Quote:
.....but hey, it's all about being green nowadays. Cars don't rust out anymore they just biodegrade.........
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Grand Cherokee Technical Forum