Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

getting ready to do my ford contour electric fan conversion thread

40K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  1488pride 
#1 · (Edited)
some people know about the ford taurus e fan but alot of people dont know about the ford contour dual fan that actually flows more cfms and covers the entire radiator and has a built in shroud and doesnt cause voltage spikes like the current sucking taurus fan. how do i know this you ask? because ive been running one on my modified 5.0 mustang for a while now along with a auto zone aftermarket cooling fan controller that cost $18 along with a relay to handle the current. it works so well your engine might run rich from running colder ! lol. theres no nead for a $100 fan controlled or buying stuff from retards on ebay for over inflated prices. learn how to do it this way. the fan runs around $20 at my local pull a part. theres 2 types of dual fans on the countor/ merc mystique and one has 2 dual fans that are independent, you dont want those as they dont have the built in shroud. the nice thing is these are very low profile fans that pull alot of air, alot!
pics in a minute. ill post up the part number too and a link to the controller. it says torqflo but it comes up under some other company name on their system. i believe the part number for autozone is 733653

heres how it looks on my mustang and the radiators are about the same size and i know guys use this fan on wranglers. anyways im picking up a fan tomorrow hopefully and ill have pics of it installed later tomorrow night

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
oh and the reason the water pump is in the pic,well mine whent out after the clutch fan ruined the bearing, it also chewed up a brandnew radiator that was installed funny by the last owner who fixed the jeep after a front end accident. he tried to straighten out the bent fan blade. it the process it wore out the pump from being out of balance. so i decided to hell with the stock clutch pos fan. i put a temp junkyard radiator in it as it was all i could afford for now. being a tech student and having to buy tools can suck you dry. anyways once i swap out the pump and install the fan and a relay to handle the power i will post up a complete how to with pics.
when i did this to my mustang i noticed a obvious increase in engine power, however the mustang fan is very heavy, it weighs alot, most likely twice what the zj one does. but either way its less for the motor to spin, reducing parastic drag.
heres a good read in the meantime for reason to the swap, although its about doing it on a mustang, you get the idea. by the way this is from a 96 up Ford Contour V6. the dual-electric fan that we wanted was available on all V-6 Contours from 1995 through 2000. Six-cylinder '99-'02 Mercury Cougars and Mystiques also utilize the same fan.

http://mustanghowtos.com/58/swappin...ctric-fan-in-your-mustang-has-great-benefits/

and heres one on jeep forum with pics of the same fan, and lots of good info, stuff we really need for our zj section!!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/need-some-advice-dual-contour-fan-setup-582629/

AND another good read on this fan: http://www.musclemustangfastfords.c...ly_controlled_electric_fan_upgrade/index.html
this is the new thing, ive seen it used on alot of hot rod cars and wheelers alike

#3 ·
Thermostatically Controlled Electric Fan Upgrade
Quell Those Rampant Underhood Temperatures Before They Cook Something Valuable.
July 01, 2009
By Steve Baur
Photography by Kevin DiOssi
We all love the sound of a new exhaust system, the thump of a hot camshaft, and the thrust of added torque, but all too often we ignore those sub systems that our hot rods depend on to get from point A to point B. These "other" things include suspension, brakes, and your cooling system. It's this last little detail that we're going to address on our project Recession Special.

The aftermarket makes some great upgrades for your Fox-body Mustang, and they'll definitely get the job done in regard to keeping your Horse cool under the hood. After hearing about a sweet boneyard electric fan upgrade, we had to try it ourselves.

The dual electric fan we ordered... read full captionThe dual electric fan we ordered from Rusty Acres comes right from the '95-'00 V-6 Ford Contour. It covers nearly every bit of the Fox-body radiator and pulls a ton of air for optimum cooling.Rumor from a good friend of ours was that the Ford Contour had a great dual-electric fan setup and that it was damn near a drop-in for the Fox-Mustang platform. Electric fans have always been a good upgrade for the Fox-body Mustangs as they work more efficiently than the factory clutch fan setup, and the reduced engine drag usually frees up a few ponies. We like anything that offers up free power, so we got the ball moving.

We called Rusty Acres auto salvage in Jacksonville, Florida, for the lowdown and, according to the sales staff, the dual-electric fan that we wanted was available on all V-6 Contours from 1995 through 2000. Six-cylinder '99-'02 Mercury Cougars and Mystiques also utilize the same fan. Some four-cylinder models did feature the dual-fan, but most were supplied with the single unit.

A thermostatically controlled... read full captionA thermostatically controlled electric fan is the best way to keep your Colt cool. Flex-A-Lite has a number of fan controllers to suit your every need. The one we chose is the most basic, but it gets the job done.Our efforts to find concrete technical specifications on the Contour fan have come up short. Internet lore says 3,600 cfm at 30 amps, and we did find an extremely similar fan for sale that offered up 3,400 cfm. All we know is that it takes all of 30-40 seconds for the fan to cool the coolant to its preset temperature. We also have to think that the increased airflow improves the efficiency of our front-mount intercooler as well, at least when it's running.

We've heard of prices as low as $40 for used units from the local pick-n-pull to upwards of $180 for new setups. Rusty Acres normally sells the double fan for $100, which fits our tight budget restraints. As we found out while mocking it up against the radiator in Project Recession Special, it's just about a perfect fit. It's slim, too, and we confirmed with our rumor source that it easily clears an 8- or 10-rib supercharger pulley, even when mounted to a large aftermarket radiator.

The Flex-A-Lite fan controller... read full captionThe Flex-A-Lite fan controller fit perfectly into this recess on the fan shroud.When installing an electric fan, it's important to use an electrical relay so you don't tax your charging system too much. Most factory fans pull a lot of amps from the charging system, so we picked up a 40-amp electrical relay form the local auto parts store for six bucks.

If you wire the electric fan to a key-on power source, there's a good chance that your car will never heat up. This can cause a number of problems, not the least of which is frozen occupants in the winter and a computer that never sees closed-loop operation. That being said, we sniffed around the Summit Racing website for a thermostat control and found the Flex-A-Lite PN 31147 temperature control unit. It retails for $26.95 and is just what we need to make sure the engine operates consistently at a given temperature.

For wiring, we used a T-tap connector to pick up the key-on positive signal from the coolant overflow sensor harness and connected that to the key-on source on the temperature control unit. From there, we ran a wire to the 40-amp relay and its switch terminal (86 pin). The relay was then grounded on the 85 pin and a 12-volt constant power source was fitted to the 30 pin. The positive 12-volt output (87 pin) was then connected to the electric fan positive leads.

Metal clips were used to route... read full caption
Metal clips were used to route the temperature sending unit around the outer edge of the shroud.

The excess wire from the probe... read full caption
The excess wire from the probe was wrapped around a pen to take up the slack. The probe is inserted into the radiator fins near the upper radiator hose.

Here's the fan, wired up and... read full caption

Here's the fan, wired up and ready to drop in. Be sure to secure the wires as the fan is a constant source of vibration.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#6 ·
it lines up pretty good but not as good as i had hoped it would, i geuss the stang raditor is shorter and a hair longer than the zj.

#7 ·
the fan works very well, it wasnt as easy of a fit as it seemed when i put the fan ontop of my old radiator out of the jeep. i had to notch it for the upper hose and trim a few other spots. it took a few tries to get the fan set right, it was cooling things off too much so i had to keep adjusting the control. this is a really good fan, already knew it but its not a perfect fit or something a newbie is going to pull off without breaking something fitting it in there. ill post pics soon. i just got done slapping on some 33s so its too dark now to

#12 ·
Thanks for the information on this fan. I'm attempting to install a 2005 TJ motor into my XJ and I know I won't be able to us the clutch fan. Not that I wanted to any way. I've got the motor in so I can make measurements for the other components. I've measured 3 inches from the waterpump to the radiator. I was wondering how thick this ford contour fan is?

the fan works very well, it wasnt as easy of a fit as it seemed when i put the fan ontop of my old radiator out of the jeep. i had to notch it for the upper hose and trim a few other spots. it took a few tries to get the fan set right, it was cooling things off too much so i had to keep adjusting the control.
How did you adjust the controls (I might have missed it in your write up, I was reading through it quickly at work :))?

#9 · (Edited)
just like normal, pulls air thru radiator blowing onto the motor (edit)

#10 ·
sorry i took so long heres the pics and a funny pic of a belt idler thats made by *** canada lol!

#11 ·
i just had to get a better radiator in there today, the junkyard one was leaking slowly. this set up is easy to remove and re install how i have it heres a drawing of such as to how i modified the fan set up

#17 ·
zj, xj has alot shorter radiator

#16 ·
i HAD a 86 gt last year of the 4 eyes, beat the crap outa if 4 years 3 trannys and finally sold it for 1k and got a 94z28 much happier. owned several mustangs all junk but fun as hell no lookin back

#18 ·
Same fan motor as the 5.9, except I only use one Fan. I had to replace mine so I know that the OEM Fan motor assy from Jeep is outrageous in price. a slight mod and a fan motor connector to use the Taurus motor and I was back in business for a low part price
Nice Job ! The only think I want to do with mine is wire up a cut out for when I am in deep water.

#19 ·
nice this is a mod i would like to do soon!:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.