Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

Reverse Problem

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  88fadedglory 
#1 ·
Here is the situation. My uncle has a 2000 GC. When he puts it in reverse, the engine will rev up. If you don't hold the brake real firm, the vehicle will start moving. He had the transmission taken out and checked. Supposedly no problems there. And he also had the engine checked. Currenly no one knows what the problem is. I think it could be a vacuum leak, but I'm stumped. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Here is the situation. My uncle has a 2000 GC. When he puts it in reverse, the engine will rev up. If you don't hold the brake real firm, the vehicle will start moving. He had the transmission taken out and checked. Supposedly no problems there. And he also had the engine checked. Currenly no one knows what the problem is. I think it could be a vacuum leak, but I'm stumped. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Floor or column shift? I'm thinking the shift linkage / cable is pulling on the throttle linkage, possibly, in reverse position. Better check it with the engine "off".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.