Water in oil???

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Grand Cherokee Technical Forum

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Chrysler Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2009, 01:18 AM   #1
88MJ4X4
Seasoned
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Water in oil???

My son has a 99 Grand Cherokee with a 4.0 that has a water in oil issue. We bought a used motor for it just over a month ago out of a wrecked Jeep Wrangler. Although tha front of that Jeep was totaled, I didnt think the motor would have been damaged. We did hear it run for a short time before in was removed. Since being installed it has never overheated.
With that said, we went ahead and replaced tha head gasket but its still gittin water in tha oil. While the head was off I inspected it as best I could but didnt see any obvious cracks or problem areas.
Other than the obvious of pulling tha head again and this time gittin it checked at a machine shop, is there any other way water can git in the oil? Yes, we put sealer on #11 head bolt. Surely tha wreck couldnt have damaged tha block? Admittingly tha doner Jeep took a hard enough frontal hit to have cracked the harmonic balancer and cracked one of the motor mount bolt castings that stick off tha side of tha block on the driver side. (In the doner Jeep that hole was used but in this MJ its not)
Any ideas??? (other than take it back and git another motor???) (tha motor had a 30 day warrenty 40 days ago)

Thanks in advance.
Robert

Last edited by 88MJ4X4; 10-23-2009 at 01:24 AM.
88MJ4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2009, 11:48 PM   #2
WJCraig
On The Ban Wagon

That's a tough one without actually seeing the engine, and the Jeep it came out of....

Before you installed the head, did you have it checked out for flatness at the mating surface? Maybe warped and just need a quick skim.

Did the place you got it give any warrenty with the engine??
Official Frozen Canuck Member #1
2001 WJ, 4.7L V8, 4.5" Suspension Up, KOR Sliderz, JKS Discos, 32" Mud Shoes, Other Stuff...
WJCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:34 AM   #3
88MJ4X4
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJCraig View Post
That's a tough one without actually seeing the engine, and the Jeep it came out of....

Before you installed the head, did you have it checked out for flatness at the mating surface? Maybe warped and just need a quick skim.

Did the place you got it give any warrenty with the engine??
No, I didnt have it checked. Yes, it had a 30 day warrenty about 40 days ago.
I talked to tha j/y where we bought tha motor and we're gonna trailer his MJ to um so they can take a look at it. Tha guy sounded like he was gonna still honor the warrenty since I made him aware of the problem proir to the end of tha 30 days.
Last weekend I was supposed to have taken tha motor out and return it for an exchange but decided to just do tha head gasket instead. Bad decision on our part. Now $150 bucks later we're right back where we started.
I'll let ya know what happens tomorrow at tha j/y.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:54 PM   #4
WJCraig
On The Ban Wagon

Sounds like a decent place if they're going to help you out. Too many yards have questionable practices these days. Sounds like you've found one of the few remaining yards that still believe in customer service!

Let us know how it turns out.

Later.
Official Frozen Canuck Member #1
2001 WJ, 4.7L V8, 4.5" Suspension Up, KOR Sliderz, JKS Discos, 32" Mud Shoes, Other Stuff...
WJCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:02 AM   #5
88MJ4X4
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJCraig View Post
Sounds like a decent place if they're going to help you out. Too many yards have questionable practices these days. Sounds like you've found one of the few remaining yards that still believe in customer service!

Let us know how it turns out.

Later.
We left my sons MJ at tha j/y for them to look at. Tha guy intends to pull tha head and have it checked/machined if needed and install it back on tha motor. He rolled us over a barrel by claiming he'd pay for either tha parts ($150) or tha labor ($250) so obviously we agreed to pay for tha parts. (gasket set, oil, filter & anit-freeze)
At least by lettin him do tha labor we'll git another 30 days of warrenty on it. Should have takin it back from tha git go of havin water in tha oil instead of throwin away $150 bucks on it. Now we're gonna have to pay for it all again.
That low mileage $600 dollar motor is gonna end up costin us Damn near $1000 bucks. Had we known we were gonna end up spendin that much on a used frickin motor, we coulda bought a damn rebuilt long block and had a 12,000 mile warrenty.
Needless to say, we're not too happy with the outcome but at this point this is our cheapest way out to have a running motor.
We're supposed to find out on Tues if tha head was bad and tha truck is supposed to be done by Wed. I'll let ya know how it turns out.

Thanks!!!
Robert

BTW ..... I personally dont think tha head is tha problem and we're gonna end up having to swap out for another motor. To be honest, I kinda hope we do considering that twice now this one has been runin with water in it.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:56 AM   #6
muddeprived
Retired Moderator
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

I would just cease any work on this motor and get a different one that hasn't been in a front end wreck. You don't know how much $$ you are gonna put in it and if it's even fixable or not.

http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/index.html :thumbsup:
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:25 AM   #7
88MJ4X4
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddeprived View Post
I would just cease any work on this motor and get a different one that hasn't been in a front end wreck. You don't know how much $$ you are gonna put in it and if it's even fixable or not.
I'm gonna call him tomorrow morning and tell him instead of spending more money on a motor that we shouldnt have had to spend money for repairs on in tha first place, that we want another motor.
I'll let ya know what he says.

Robert

Last edited by 88MJ4X4; 10-26-2009 at 12:22 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:42 AM   #8
88MJ4X4
Seasoned

Well, they pulled tha head and sent it off to tha machine shop. It wasnt warped and no cracks were found. We picked it up and my son drove it for one day and again there's water in the oil again. Takin it back.

Last edited by 88MJ4X4; 11-17-2009 at 03:16 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:20 AM   #9
88MJ4X4
Seasoned

Finally this time tha j/y has decided to exchange tha motor. Problem is tha motor he wants to put in it was sittin under a carport for who knows how long with unknown mileage on it. According to tha block casting its an 02 motor.
It damn sure better be a good motor or they'll be takin that one back out as well.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:37 AM   #10
88MJ4X4
Seasoned

Got it back. motor actually sounds and runs pretty good. No knocks, no smoke just a little upper end noise typical of a 4.0. Wouldnt give us another 30 days of warrenty. Did however give us 2 more weeks. Hopefully if anything is gonna go wrong with it, it'll go within tha next rwo weeks.

Sorry about having to slit up whats been happening with my sons Jeep but its the only way I could figure out how to build up my post count so I can post a "wanted" ad for parts. As you know I'm new here and dont post very often but would like to post a "wanted" ad for some parts I need for my MJ. At this rate it'll take me forever to git 25+ post. Meanwhile my MJ just sits in tha driveway in need of some parts.

on tha 25 post minimun for tha "wanted" section.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:54 AM   #11
2000XJ
Retired Moderator
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

J/y engines can be really hit or miss. I would drive this Jeep everyday, for every errand for the next two weeks. If nothing goes wrong, I'd say you're in the clear. Try to rack up as many miles as possible in it.

Trail Rig: 2000 XJ w/ 4.5" Lift, 35's, beadlocks, 4:1, Caged, Locked XJ D44 Rear, Locked D30, and a bunch of other things

Daily Driver: '07 A4 2.0T Quattro 6-speed

Former Daily Drivers: WK2, XJ, 4Runner, XJ, E30

Former Former Daily Driver: 2001 XJ Daily Driver, 2" BB, 245/70R16 AT's on Moabs
2000XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:06 PM   #12
88MJ4X4
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000XJ View Post
J/y engines can be really hit or miss. I would drive this Jeep everyday, for every errand for the next two weeks. If nothing goes wrong, I'd say you're in the clear. Try to rack up as many miles as possible in it.
You know how kids are. Other than when he's at work or asleep that Jeep doesnt stop anywhere for very long. It's a pretty safe bet that he'll put plenty of miles on in it in tha next week.
So far so good.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:08 PM   #13
89xj4.7

i used to get salvage yard motors but i never will again...... ive got 5 in the past and only 2 lasted me. one is till going 10 years later.... sometimes its better to rebuild...

good luck with the MJ... id love to get my hands on one soon
89xj4.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:58 AM   #14
88MJ4X4
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89xj4.7 View Post
i used to get salvage yard motors but i never will again...... ive got 5 in the past and only 2 lasted me. one is till going 10 years later.... sometimes its better to rebuild...

good luck with the MJ... id love to get my hands on one soon
Through tha tears I mean years I've had pretty good luck with j/y motors until this one. I knew better than to buy a motor that had been in a hard frontal wreck but decided to chance it anyway since it started right up while it was still in the Wrangler it came out of. Once again its another lesson learned tha hard way as usual.

MJ's are great little trucks when their set up properly. (inwhich mine isnt) Only problem they have is typical to all small trucks and thats tha lack of weight on the rear axle. Without weight you get very little traction. Hence tha reason why I'll be putting a locker in the front axle before I do the rear. It'll be much easier for the front to pull the rear than it will for the rear to push tha front. Not to mention easier to steer through mud and ruts

I'll start a new thread on my MJ under its proper heading.

Thanks for your interest.
Robert

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Grand Cherokee Technical Forum