Official Stupid Question Thread - Page 57

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Cherokeetalk.com General Forums > General Discussion

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2019, 11:44 AM   #841
1_2_XjU
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ View Post
When you replace motor mounts, unless you have the engine out, it is better to have the rear of the assembly secured to the cross member so you can just drop the engine down after replacement

That was my thinking - it would be unstable to prop the motor if the back end was not secured.
So I’ll either set the crossmember back on and do them now, or wait till I get the trans back in.
Toothless - 02 WJ
Sally - 79 Wagoneer
1_2_XjU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2019, 04:29 PM   #842
JandDGreens
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_2_XjU View Post
That was my thinking - it would be unstable to prop the motor if the back end was not secured.
So I’ll either set the crossmember back on and do them now, or wait till I get the trans back in.
Not sure where you will find the info, (u-tube) but you only need a 2 by 4 and a floor jack not sure which side you start with but you replace one side at a time. When I replaced my mounts I just loosened the rear tranny bolts but did not have to remove them.

Really a pretty easy job once you dive into it. If you are using brown dog mounts (or similar mounts) make sure once you tighten the bolt through the bushing, back it off about 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Others wise you will have excess vibes.
JandDGreens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:41 PM   #843
DaingMaing
Veteran

Garage

Been looking around on rockauto and because I couldn't find them doesn't mean they don't exist. I don't recall them at all when I pulled the WJ knuckles in the PnP JY.

Do the WJ grand's have front disk brake dust shields?

Can't seem to locate an OEM pair... I'm sourcing the last of the miscellaneous parts I need to complete the rebuild and steering overhaul. I can find the rear D44a's all day long, but not a single one for the front. Did the akebono style calipers prevent the use of one?!?

Modified Grand Cherokee of The Month
- October 2013 - March 2016 - August 2017 -

DaingMaing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2019, 05:38 AM   #844
1_2_XjU

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandDGreens View Post
Not sure where you will find the info, (u-tube) but you only need a 2 by 4 and a floor jack not sure which side you start with but you replace one side at a time. When I replaced my mounts I just loosened the rear tranny bolts but did not have to remove them.

Really a pretty easy job once you dive into it. If you are using brown dog mounts (or similar mounts) make sure once you tighten the bolt through the bushing, back it off about 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Others wise you will have excess vibes.

Thanks - yeah not too worried about the actual task, more worried about trying to do it with the trans pulled would leave no rear support, which could potentially result in an “oh s***” situation when the motor is supported only by one mount and one 2x4 on a jack. It will be easier and safer to do them with the trans still in and supported.
Toothless - 02 WJ
Sally - 79 Wagoneer
Old 05-08-2019, 07:59 AM   #845
wjlizard
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaingMaing View Post
Been looking around on rockauto and because I couldn't find them doesn't mean they don't exist. I don't recall them at all when I pulled the WJ knuckles in the PnP JY.

Do the WJ grand's have front disk brake dust shields?

Can't seem to locate an OEM pair... I'm sourcing the last of the miscellaneous parts I need to complete the rebuild and steering overhaul. I can find the rear D44a's all day long, but not a single one for the front. Did the akebono style calipers prevent the use of one?!?
I don't think they do but will crawl under the Overland when I get home. Sad part is I've changed brakes on my WJ since 2002 and i don't remember that. I think the ole'timerz is setting in.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:54 AM   #846
4.3L XJ
Veteran

Garage

Yes, they have dust shields
Griffin radiator
On board air
Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
31 gal. gas tank
4.3L XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:38 AM   #847
1_2_XjU

Source for vacuum elbows for manifold? Think I tried looking once but it was harder than I thought it would be to find the correct pieces.
Toothless - 02 WJ
Sally - 79 Wagoneer
Old 05-16-2019, 10:22 AM   #848
Ralph77

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_2_XjU View Post
Source for vacuum elbows for manifold? Think I tried looking once but it was harder than I thought it would be to find the correct pieces.
Think a '99 is like an '00? I have 3 on the side. Never messed with the one closest to the firewall but have with the front 2. The one closest to the radiator in my Jeep. The nipple on the manifold is the same size as the plastic line. So just a piece of vacuum hose. The one in the middle is a different story. Nipple on the manifold is a different size then the plastic line. I found a Dorman part that is tight. Actually for a Ford. Going to have to look up the number if you are interested. Will get back to you.
Ralph77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:40 AM   #849
Ralph77

Dorman 46022. The one with the Van Halen looking figure on it. LOL.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-32422-46022.aspx
Ralph77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 12:18 AM   #850
ridingmyfabcar

Love reading this thread! When would jeep invent an automatic door that would just open just like the doors in some malls..don't wanna touch the handle it's kinda full of germs
ridingmyfabcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 01:49 PM   #851
1_2_XjU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridingmyfabcar View Post
Love reading this thread! When would jeep invent an automatic door that would just open just like the doors in some malls..don't wanna touch the handle it's kinda full of germs

When there’s a “Tesla Jeep” would be my guess.
Actually i don’t wanna touch the handle cause my hands are all covered in oil and crud
Toothless - 02 WJ
Sally - 79 Wagoneer
Old 05-21-2019, 07:48 PM   #852
XJSuperman
Veteran

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridingmyfabcar View Post
Id focus on building my immune system then. But if thats out of reach, scissor door kits seem like they can be cobbled onto anything these days. I think ive seen remotely opened ones.

Ford uses the foot-sensing release on rear hatches for some models, i see no reason it couldn't be applied to side doors with some ingenuity and a few more moving parts. ACTUALLY: a google search shows that aftermarket kits are sold to be installed on all kinds of cars. Do it, and let us know how it works out.

2001 XJ: 4" lift (MetalCloak CAs, Tuff Country coils, IRO aal), 31x10.50r15 Cooper STT Pros, TruTrac 4.10 front, Spartan locked 4.10 rear, SYE, custom gas tank skid, Durango steering box, Yakima roof rack on custom bars, WickedBilt LED lighting, 784 injectors, Afe intake, OBA, more soon!

1948 Sears utility trailer project

YouTube channel: XJSUPERMAN
XJSuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:08 PM   #853
1_2_XjU

I replaced my power steering pump - swapped pulley from the old one - and now I’ve got Vicious belt squeal.
Did I do something wrong?
Is it possible I pressed the pulley on too tight or not tight enough, and now i have pulley misalignment?
Toothless - 02 WJ
Sally - 79 Wagoneer
Old 07-11-2019, 07:36 PM   #854
Gluckmysock
Super MOD! Yeah Baby!!

Garage

You can look across the pulley and visually check the alignment. It would be pretty obvious. The belt squeal is probably the belt not tight enough. When you push down on the belt it should only deflect about 1/2" .

May 2015, June 2017 & December 2018 Modified Cherokee XJ of the Month
December 2013 Stock Class Cherokee of the month
Gluckmysock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:59 PM   #855
1_2_XjU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluckmysock View Post
You can look across the pulley and visually check the alignment. It would be pretty obvious. The belt squeal is probably the belt not tight enough. When you push down on the belt it should only deflect about 1/2" .
it looks good while its spinning, no wobble.
Belt didnt squeak ever before.
This is the WJ 4.7, so its the automatic tensioner.
Well, i ordered a new belt anyway, so we'll see if that makes any difference.
Toothless - 02 WJ
Sally - 79 Wagoneer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Cherokeetalk.com General Forums > General Discussion