1990 XJ Air Filter

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Cherokee Stock Technical Forum

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2019, 06:26 PM   #1
Black1990jeep
Seasoned
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1990 XJ Air Filter

On my 1990 XJ.... The paper air filter keeps falling into air box. The filter is pn 6077, The filter is only 6.6 inches wide, the space center to center of the ridge the filter sits on is 6.5 inches wide, leaving only 0.05 inch margin on each side! this cant be right.

What brand and size filters do you use? What is their diminsion?

Black1990jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2019, 06:48 PM   #2
Gluckmysock
Super MOD! Yeah Baby!!

Garage

Fram 46077 is the wrong filter. A wix 6077 is the right one, which crosses to a Fram CA3901, which is about 1/4" wider and longer.

I generally use fram, or Napa Gold filters. WIX is a good brand also.

Check out Rockauto.com look for your filter and click on the "Info" tab and it will give you the dimensions.

Looks like a honest mistake where someone thought a fram 6077 was the same as a wix 6077.

May 2015, June 2017 & December 2018 Modified Cherokee XJ of the Month
December 2013 Stock Class Cherokee of the month

Last edited by Gluckmysock; 11-07-2019 at 06:52 PM.
Gluckmysock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:10 AM   #3
Black1990jeep
Seasoned

Got an STP 3901. it is slightly more rigid, and just about the same size as the 6077, unfortunatly it is not a quarter inch wider nor longer.
the airbox in my 1990 does have a minor amount of warp, but goolly the design is bad, even 0.05 inch of warp will be enough to cause problems. the filter element really needs a flange on the airbox side verses the cover side, to secure it into place.

Do the later xjs have a better air box design? I sucked in a good deal of dirt the last two times this thing failed, I am getting pretty mad at it now, I dont want my engine honed!

Old 11-10-2019, 01:44 PM   #4
Gluckmysock
Super MOD! Yeah Baby!!

Garage

I did a write up of my snorkel install: Stealth Snorkel
From the pics you can see how well the filter fits in the air box. I have had this box under water and never had a problem, until now. I just went to look at my fit and noticed mud inside the box?? Upon further inspection, the lip on the front corner has cracked allowing water to flow in under the filter. It never made it to my engine, you could just see the mud reside in the bottom and down the sides. So I'm heading to the pick a part to get myself another one.

You use the same filter as me, but it doesn't look like your air box is bulged, Is it original?

Old 11-10-2019, 01:57 PM   #5
Gluckmysock
Super MOD! Yeah Baby!!

Garage

I lied. I don't have pics of my air filter installed on my write-up, so here is one, just moments old!.

Old 11-12-2019, 12:04 PM   #6
Black1990jeep
Seasoned

Thanks for the photos. I did pick up the lower air box from the wrecker off a 1992 XJ, it has ribs molded into the sides for stiffness, my 1990 box did NOT have this, and hence was warped a bit. My lid will fit the 92 lower box if I trim off the tabs on the lower box, my lid does not have holes on the fender side of it for the tabs, rather it is held down by spring clips on all four sides. the later box with the tabs does have provision for the spring clips on the side with the tabs, so the later box was designed with being able to use the lid from early jeeps by breaking off the tabs. The early Renix jeeps had crank case vent hoses on the lid, and the intake bellows hose location and hose is different. So I need to use my early lid on the later air box bottom part.

The one issue with the later lower box is no thermostat hot air hook up. The early box lower has a hook up for hot air from the exhaust heat riser tube, the thermostat valve is vacuum operated. This can be seen in the top of my photo.

Evidently later jeeps had no warm up hot air requirement.

My question is what is the ill effect of not having the warm up hot air installed on my 1990?

I may need the warm up hot air system for smog testing, so I may need to swap airboxes for smog test, use the later box for off road where dirt ingestion is an issue, and the early leaky air box for smog test only. Of course if cold start drivability suffers, I may need to graft the warm air part of my early box onto the later box.

whats the story on the warm up hot air, or lack there of on later XJs?
Old 11-12-2019, 03:20 PM   #7
Gluckmysock
Super MOD! Yeah Baby!!

Garage

I went to the pick a part to get myself an air box. It was sad. They were crushing the cherokees. 😞 I found 1 with an air box. All the others were missing. This one has a crack down along the intake opening. 😞 I did a quick search and found this one on quadratec. https://www.quadratec.com/p/omix-ada...xoCHrcQAvD_BwE.
Not sure how the link will work on my phone.

You can see the tabs for the lid along with the brackets for the spring clips.

96 is when obd II came out. The ecm's run in open or closed loop depending on temp.

Prior to that it was obd I. And everything was manufacture specific. Most vehicles did away with intake heat with obd II. But my best swag, is it has to do with emissions at startup.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Cherokee Stock Technical Forum