1999 Jeep XJ sitting for five years!

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Cherokee Stock Technical Forum

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2019, 06:54 PM   #1
Dalton99xj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1999 Jeep XJ sitting for five years!

I have a 1999 XJ had a stripped out starter bell housing issue. Replaced bell housing. Cleaned throttle body, AIC, map sensor, throttle position sensor. Replaced some brake parts. Jeep has very little rust. Issue I am having is it started good a few days ago ran good had a little missfire due to injectors needed cleaning. Filled tank with premium gas dumped a seafoam in the tank, did the throttle body with seafoam. Ran better was hitting highway speeds of 55 - 60mph. Was in the process of moving hooked a uhaul 4x8 box trailer loaded with my stuff drove about 50 miles and then speeds dropped to around 45mph hills 25 - 30mph. I get to my new place park for the night. Get up the next morning hard to start. So I unloaded trailer. Went to return trailer on the it seemed like it had no power at a stop it just rough idled I dropped it in neutral gave a little gas and a strange noise from sounded like the engine bay but not sure. It idled back too normal. Went to make the turn and it stuttered almost died it bucked then went on. Got aways down the road near the drop of point and it just died. Would not start. I waited for about 10 min. Then it started back up still rough idled and kept bucking at every stop. I tried the self key code but doesn't show anything just returns guages to normal. 4.0l auto trans 4x4 99XJ
Dalton99xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2019, 06:30 AM   #2
1_2_XjU

Sounds like itís fuel starved?
Clogged pickup filter or failing fuel pump?
Might want to test fuel pressure
Toothless - 02 WJ
Sally - 79 Wagoneer
1_2_XjU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:12 AM   #3
4.3L XJ
Veteran

Garage

I think you might have damaged the CAT when you seafoamed the throttle body. You probably have chunks of the screen clogging the tail pipe or muffler. That stuff is very hard on CATs then you do it that way. In the tank is the best way
Griffin radiator
On board air
Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
31 gal. gas tank
4.3L XJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2019, 11:15 AM   #4
Dalton99xj

New fuel pump both new filters in tank. I took a video. Of the sound it makes when throttle is pressed in park. Not sure what it is. Sounds like it is coming from the lower block area. But not sure. Just had a new bell housing replaced because starter bolts where stripped. Checked flywheel bolts all tight and clear.

https://youtu.be/_bVXex4YACM
Old 07-09-2019, 09:21 AM   #5
vernons
Jr Member

Garage

if it sat up that long, the gas that was in it was bad. if you did not flush the tank the that bad gas probably worked its way through the filter . you may have to clean your system again
vernons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:41 AM   #6
Dalton99xj

Clean tank new premium fuel. New fuel pump and filters. Not sure why it stalls and makes that noise. Then just act's like it has no power.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:51 AM   #7
Dalton99xj

So question. Can I run my xj without a cateltic converter to test if that is the problem? And will it hurt anything? Also thinking about cleaning the injectors. Can someone point me to a write-up on injector cleaning!
Old 07-10-2019, 01:03 PM   #8
vernons
Jr Member

Garage

on my 99, it was cutting up and stalling on me too, i found some wires that went to the coil that the insulation had dry rotted and it was shorting out on the side of the motor. once i taped all that up it stopped. hope this helps
vernons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:53 PM   #9
Dalton99xj

Thanks I'll check on that
Old 07-10-2019, 08:30 PM   #10
1_2_XjU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton99xj View Post
So question. Can I run my xj without a cateltic converter to test if that is the problem? And will it hurt anything? Also thinking about cleaning the injectors. Can someone point me to a write-up on injector cleaning!

Sure, lots of people do that. I wouldnít keep it that way for long term - they exist for our benefit, kind of like seat belts and sway bars - but removing it to see if thatís the problem wonít hurt anything except your ears if you take the muffler with it.
However, I say that without addressing the downstream O2 sensor, so donít take my advice.
Toothless - 02 WJ
Sally - 79 Wagoneer
1_2_XjU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:18 PM   #11
Dalton99xj

No I'm gonna leave the muffler it loud enough with the muffler. LOL just gonna remove the catletic converter to see if that is the issue. I removed the injectors earlier I think they are a little clogged and in need of a cleaning as well. Will have pics tommorow.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:26 PM   #12
Dalton99xj

Well cleaned and tested all injectors. They seem to spray good not clogged. Nice straight stream come out when power is added. Forgot to get a small jar of vasalene to install the new O-Rings will go get that tommorow. Gonna cut and remove catalytic converter also tommorow. Been really hot hear lately with high humidity.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:37 AM   #13
4.3L XJ
Veteran

Garage

I would recommend die electric grease for that. Will never get stiff
Griffin radiator
On board air
Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
31 gal. gas tank
4.3L XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:36 PM   #14
Dalton99xj

That's what i got. All in PCM reset runs a little better. Still has that strange sound at 2500 rpm. Can anyone tell me what this is it seems to goto the fuel somehow (first pic). Then here is a few more pics for your enjoyment.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:04 PM   #15
Dalton99xj

Still stumped on engine noise. Made a new video. Can hear the noise a little better. I think i got a bearing or rod bearing going. But need to check flexplate as well.

https://youtu.be/PKK9VgKdevQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Cherokee Stock Technical Forum