Help! Should I fix up my 2000 Cherokee?

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > General Jeep Cherokee Discussion

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2020, 06:23 PM   #1
Mobaltz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help! Should I fix up my 2000 Cherokee?

Hi there - new member here! I need some advice from folks who know and love Jeep Cherokees.

I've had my current 2000 Cherokee since 2005; it has 180,000 miles on it, and with one exception (see below) it runs well.

I love this Jeep.

However, it has accumulated body damage and is in dire need of a paint job and new exterior trim. I expect all this work to cost up to $5000, which is close to what I paid for it in 2005. I'm not averse to spending the money - I LOVE this Jeep.

If it were just age and miles, I wouldn't think twice. But unfortunately, my Cherokee has an issue that several mechanics have not been able to fix: when I run the a/c in the summer (with outside temps above 90F), for an hour or more with frequent stops, the Jeep will begin to idle rough, acceleration will slow down, and the steering and brakes turn mushy. I've spent a lot of time and money on this and it's still not fixed.

Feelings aside, what I really need a dependable vehicle, and I can't depend on my Jeep if I need to run the a/c. Since I live in the South, this can be a problem up to 9 months/year.

Would you spend the money to fix this Jeep up, or would you explore other options?
Mobaltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2020, 07:59 PM   #2
Gluckmysock
Super MOD! Yeah Baby!!

Garage

Hello, and Welcome to the Forum!

A lesson I learned a long time ago; Looks don't make them run. Paint and trim are looks and it looks like you should put your money into fixing the mechanicals. So, I say yes, Stay invested.

But now you have to tell us everything that the mechanics have tried, if you know.

I think you may have multiple problems at once. Some of the normal suggestions are,

Check all your grounds. And your vacuum lines.

But since you problems only appear in specific circumstances, I'm thinking something is failing after it gets hot. If your fuel rail gets too hot, it can boil the fuel in the line and cause serious missing/hesitation and stalling. It is also known as heat soak, My 96 will do this when I'm on the trail if my engine is barely above an idle for an extended period of time. I have 4.56 gears, lockers, and 33" MT's, not to brag but I don't have to give it much throttle on the trails. it will miss really bad and after it cools for a few minutes, it clears up and runs fine. It could be a leaky injector flooding it out, which may also be happening to yours.

The bearings may be going bad in your A/C compressor as as it heats up, it puts an additional drag on the engine.

May 2015, June 2017 & December 2018 Modified Cherokee XJ of the Month
December 2013 Stock Class Cherokee of the month
Gluckmysock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:13 PM   #3
Mobaltz

Hi there - thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

I know looks aren't everything, but I'm tired of driving what looks like a beater and I have the resources to either 1) beautify this Jeep (and fix it mechanically) or 2) purchase a new vehicle.

I'll have to go through my auto repair records to find out what my mechanics have tried so far on the a/c issue. I'd be interested to know if this is a Jeep thing or particular to my Jeep (sounds like the latter). But mostly, I need to get to the bottom of this and find out if it can be fixed - if not, I really do have to look for another vehicle.
Mobaltz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2020, 12:57 PM   #4
4.3L XJ
Veteran

Garage

Just a suggestion on the electronics. I just fixed something similar on my Ford Crown Vicky. Turn on the ac and it would stumble and miss. Turned out to be the heater fan motor. Replaced it and all is smooth again. My suggestion is that it is either the fan motor or the AC clutch that is giving off errant signals that affect the rest of the electronics. To fix it you will have to experiment by replacing parts. There are no tests for this unless you have an oscilloscope hooked up when it is doing it, and even then it would be very difficult to find
Griffin radiator
On board air
Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
31 gal. gas tank
4.3L XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:52 PM   #5
xjthing

Keep it, you shouldn't need a/c this time of year. Slowly pick at the other issues in the meantime. I'd start with the easy/ cheap stuff first. Clean your grounds and check the vacuum lines and connectors for leaks. Just pull off the rubber sections of the vacuum lines and give them a squeeze. If they have cracks (usually on the inside) replace them. While your at it, it never hurts to clean the throttle body and IAC. Then start checking out the junk yard/ craigslist for replacement parts cheap. And last but not least try replaced the a/c clutch. If you were up by me...I know people...
xjthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:42 AM   #6
1_2_XjU
Veteran

Strange issue with the AC causing other things to malfunction. May be tough to track down but i hope we can help.
If you run it now in the colder weather but run the defrost, it will still cycle the AC compressor. Iíd be interested to see if the issues show up that way too. Might help determine if itís More AC related or more hot engine related.
Iím my 99 I can fer the engine bog whenever the AC pulley cycles on, even with just defroster.
If your steering is affected also, maybe itís a belt problem.
Just my initial thoughts
Toothless - 02 WJ
Sally - 79 Wagoneer
1_2_XjU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > General Jeep Cherokee Discussion