what did you do to your xj/zj/wj today? - Page 1624

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > General Jeep Cherokee Discussion

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2019, 11:38 AM   #24346
Ralph77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

So I really need to pay more attention when I buy crap off of Craigslist.
Think I figured out what the problem is. The driver's side "arm", the curved part that goes under the Jeep where it bolts is tweaked.
About 1/16" closest to the brush guard all the way to 5/16" where it bolts on underneath.
Assuming my calculations are correct.

Does anybody think mapp gas with a propane torch can heat up 3/16" steel enough to massage it more to where it should be?

Ralph77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2019, 01:52 PM   #24347
S8NNG8
Veteran

Bfh!
S8NNG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:29 PM   #24348
Ralph77

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
Bfh!
All I had was a LFH. My baby sledge. Me and my buddy just got done putting in the slot on the side of the dumpster that the garbage man uses to lift up the dumpster with is truck. We did move it. Will try to tomorrow to see where it fell.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:25 AM   #24349
wjlizard
Veteran

Yes mapp, or propane will work. It will just take a little time . I just have a torch head that screws on to the little camping bottles
Old 06-09-2019, 07:51 AM   #24350
Ralph77

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjlizard View Post
Yes mapp, or propane will work. It will just take a little time . I just have a torch head that screws on to the little camping bottles
Thanks for responding.

I put it back on this morning after we tweaked it some with the dumpster as mentioned above. Was surprised how easy it tweaked. Anyway it was still a little off so I tweaked it some more. Think I have it right where I want it now. Tough to know for sure with me using these old bumper caps I have lying around. Unfortunately when I cut my good bumper caps and reassemble everything I will be kind of committed at that time.

So I am going to disassemble everything. I have replace a rivnut on the passenger side to put back on the headlight part of the brush guard.

I also still want to run my factory tow hooks but there is a plate on the brush guard from keeping that from happening. So figure a little die grinder action and then because that plate is just tack welded on the end, which is part of what I am removing, I am going to have at least tack weld it back on. Or maybe run a bead for a bit.

Good thing I finally broke down and bought a welder. LOL.

Last edited by Ralph77; 06-09-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:41 AM   #24351
Ralph77

So ever since I bought the '00 about 6 years ago the power locks from time to time won't work. They work like 98% of the time. And when they don't work it is usually not for very long. Like I can stop somewhere, try to lock the Jeep, they won't work, come out 15 minutes later, hit the remote and they work. Well awhile back they did not work for like 3 days. As soon as I got a chance to go in there I checked them before I took anything apart and of course they worked.

So research tells me that the locks are controlled by the passenger side switch. Now you would think wiring. But when they don't work I can hear the relay clicking in there. So I never really thought it was wiring.

So I took apart a switch hoping I could resolder some things like guys do with the driver side one. Well I can't get at the back of the circuit board. At least not without busting it apart IMO.

So having extra switches, all used, I threw one in. Went about 2 months before it screwed up yesterday. And still did not work now. So I threw in another one I had.

Worked right off the bat. I am wondering if I should just say screw it and buy a new one to see what happens.

A shot of the relays inside the switch for your viewing pleasure. LOL.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:07 AM   #24352
Ralph77

So it has been about 5 days since I put the gauge on the AC and charged her up a bit.
At that time reading 28 on the low side, 225 on the high, temperature in the Jeep with the windows open got down to 44 F with an ambient temp of 78 F.
So today I was all over the place.
Ambient temp was about 72 F
First shot is the static pressure.
2nd on start up.
3rd after running for awhile.
4th after running a little longer.
5th is the temp at the point of the 4th shot. Sorry for the lousy picture but it reads about 44 F.
6th is still running and just before I shut it down. Temp was down to 40 F at this point. Forgot to take a picture.
So I am not really sure what is going on. The clutch stayed engaged the whole time.
I know the low pressure switch worked the first time I did this so I am assuming it still is. I must have a leak. I guess.
In some of the shots above when low side pressure was within range high side was a little high according to spec.
Also this is with the Jeep idling at 1000 RPM as per the FSM.
Not really sure what to make of any of this. I think I am going to remove the header on top of the radiator and look for dye behind the condenser.

Last edited by Ralph77; 06-12-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:39 AM   #24353
4.3L XJ
Veteran

Garage

Forgive me, but what year is your XJ? Does it have a fixed orifice or expansive valve?
Griffin radiator
On board air
Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
31 gal. gas tank
4.3L XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:12 PM   #24354
Ralph77

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ View Post
Forgive me, but what year is your XJ? Does it have a fixed orifice or expansive valve?
'00 and a fixed orifice. Which was replaced when this project started about 3 years, maybe 4, ago.

Every year I attempt fix the AC. Try something, nothing has worked out yet (LOL), and call it a day till next year. MLOL.

AC is really not important to me. This is more a I want everything to work on my Jeep like it is supposed to thing.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:48 PM   #24355
4.3L XJ
Veteran

Garage

So here is one thing you need to know. Your gauge values will change a little depending on humidity. So slightly different values do not raise alarms to me. Static pressure values are useless unless you want to verify there is some charge in the system. Has there been any telltale oil deposits or dust accumulations around the fittings or seal of the compressor?
Griffin radiator
On board air
31 gal. gas tank
Old 06-12-2019, 01:06 PM   #24356
Ralph77

Quote:
So here is one thing you need to know. Your gauge values will change a little depending on humidity. So slightly different values do not raise alarms to me. Static pressure values are useless unless you want to verify there is some charge in the system. Has there been any telltale oil deposits or dust accumulations around the fittings or seal of the compressor?
That I do know and thought it was weird that my FSM doesn't account for humidity in the ranges they give for high and low side pressure or what kind of temp you should be seeing out of the vent. They just go by ambient air temp. Humidity is on the rise according to the hourly forecast. About 39% now. Going to assume it was lower when I did all this earlier.

While I understand that static pressure is useless for the most part my understanding, now remember this is all stuff I have gleaned off the internet, is that the pressures being pretty much equal is a good thing. If I remember correctly an indication that the orifice tube is not clogged.

If you go back in this thread a bit to my first post when I started messing with the AC again I did give a brief history of what has been done to the AC.

So no dye that I can see. Not oil, dust, etc either. Why I figure I should remove the radiator header to look behind the condenser. That and the Evap core are the only pieces that have not been replaced at some point in time.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:00 PM   #24357
4.3L XJ
Veteran

Garage

As far as temp out of the vent, that is also not a good measure. It is temp drop across the coil that is a fair measure. You will find that at the max temp drop at the vent, you will be overcharged and making the compressor and engine work harder than necessary
Griffin radiator
On board air
31 gal. gas tank
Old 06-12-2019, 05:24 PM   #24358
Ralph77

Quote:
As far as temp out of the vent, that is also not a good measure. It is temp drop across the coil that is a fair measure. You will find that at the max temp drop at the vent, you will be overcharged and making the compressor and engine work harder than necessary
All I have to go by is the specs in the FSM. And how they tell you to check the temp coming out of the vent.

How would you even check the temp at the coil?
And when you say coil do you mean Evap core?
Old 06-12-2019, 06:36 PM   #24359
4.3L XJ
Veteran

Garage

Yes, discharge side of coil. You would drill a small hole in the housing (done on all new house AC in CA) and insert a digital thermometer in the hole.
Griffin radiator
On board air
31 gal. gas tank
Old 06-12-2019, 08:11 PM   #24360
DOWNSY
Seasoned

Garage

Scooped up some wing windows and a vacuum canister from a parts Jeep today. Vacuum canister is going on the shelf as a spare part and at least the wing window is going on the driver's side. NOt sure what I'll be able to use from the passenger side unit to refresh the driver's side unit.

Anyone know where to get parts for the wing windows? The Passneger side one I got is still tight but could use new seals and the driver's side one needs an overhaul.

DOWNSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > General Jeep Cherokee Discussion