Cooper Tires or Cooper Tires?

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > General Technical Forum > Tires and Wheels

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2016, 11:10 PM   #1
XJSuperman
Veteran
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Garage
Default Cooper Tires or Cooper Tires?

So, I never thought I would be posting a thread like this....but here I am.

I need tires and hopefully wheels pretty soon, and Im a little lost in my research. I currently am running 235/75R15 GoodYear Duratracs. I loved them, but I don't want to get the same tire twice until I have tried more.

I want a 31x10.50R15 size tire on a 15x8 rim. No questions there. My Jeep is currently my daily driver but will hopefully be semi-retiring in the recent future, depending on how my life goes.

My current options are as follows, and I would like some feedback on them. I will be making a chart for comparisons as I go. I DO NOT want General Tires or BFG tires. No problems with them, I just don't want them. (either too popular or not what I'm looking for) No discussion on them please.

Option 1: Cooper Discoverer STT Pro
3 ply sidewalls
20/32" tread
47lbs

Option 2: Mastercraft MXT (made by Cooper)
unknown sidewall ply
19/32" tread
45lbs

Option 3: Dick Cepek Extreme Country (made by Cooper)
2 ply sidewalls
19/32" tread
44lbs

Option 4: Unknown....open to suggestions outside of BFG and General Grabbers. Firestone Destination MT has being considered.

2001 XJ: 4" lift (MetalCloak CAs, Tuff Country coils, IRO aal), 31x10.50r15 Cooper STT Pros, TruTrac 4.10 front, Spartan locked 4.10 rear, SYE, custom gas tank skid, Durango steering box, Yakima roof rack on custom bars, WickedBilt LED lighting, 784 injectors, Afe intake, OBA, more soon!

1948 Sears utility trailer project

YouTube channel: XJSUPERMAN
XJSuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2016, 11:11 PM   #2
XJSuperman
Veteran

Garage

Also looking for wheel options. Cheap is good, but new is great. I like american racing/eagle alloy/mickey thomson classic styles and steel street lock round hole wheels.

2001 XJ: 4" lift (MetalCloak CAs, Tuff Country coils, IRO aal), 31x10.50r15 Cooper STT Pros, TruTrac 4.10 front, Spartan locked 4.10 rear, SYE, custom gas tank skid, Durango steering box, Yakima roof rack on custom bars, WickedBilt LED lighting, 784 injectors, Afe intake, OBA, more soon!

Old 04-06-2016, 04:12 AM   #3
Gluckmysock
Super MOD! Yeah Baby!!

Garage

I have seen the mastercraft mxt in action. Excellent tire in the mud. Along with good road manners. Aired down I think they do well on the rocks. Certainly on the top of the list for my next tire.

I have also looked at Dakota definity. I am pretty sure it's also made by Cooper, but it's only sold by Pep boys, but I have been able to get a price for them locally. About 175 a tire. I have read some good reviews about them.

May 2015, June 2017 & December 2018 Modified Cherokee XJ of the Month
December 2013 Stock Class Cherokee of the month
Gluckmysock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:55 AM   #4
wjlizard
Veteran

I'm a Hankook snob,sorry . They were recommended by my tire shop for my firebird and now everything with 4 wheels has Hankooks in my garage. Rt03 mts on the grand and at's on the old lady's commander they are extremely well build a nice long wearing sticky compound and lots of reinforcement.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:30 PM   #5
twallxj

Garage

I have the firestone destination MT on my F-350. great great ride on highway and tons of traction off-road. ive put about 10k miles of all around driving on them sense bought, and still look beautiful. I got them for a x-mas present for my truck right before winter (2015). from deep snow to my horse pastures i always had GREAT traction!!
twallxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:28 PM   #6
craig69diesel
Veteran

I think the open country is ugly, I had the old cooper stt and liked it. I would have bought the Mastercraft if I hadn't got such a good deal on my Generals.
craig69diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:08 PM   #7
muddeprived
Infected
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

I run these...

....on both my TJ and XJ. They are an aggressive all terrain. Fits my needs of partial DD/off road rig. They are cheap too cuz I get a discount on em.

Sorry but I haven't ran any of those tires you listed so I have no input on them.

When asked if the Warriors could pull it off, Kerr responded, “Oh God, no. No!”

Kerr followed that exclamation with, “We had this guy named Michael Jordan on that team."

Quote:
.....but hey, it's all about being green nowadays. Cars don't rust out anymore they just biodegrade.........

Last edited by muddeprived; 04-06-2016 at 07:21 PM.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:11 PM   #8
XJSuperman
Veteran

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twallxj View Post
I have the firestone destination MT on my F-350. great great ride on highway and tons of traction off-road. ive put about 10k miles of all around driving on them sense bought, and still look beautiful. I got them for a x-mas present for my truck right before winter (2015). from deep snow to my horse pastures i always had GREAT traction!!
Thanks for the input. Ive heard the Firestones are harder, and last a long time. My concern is that they are a conventional MT design, and will be loud, and handle worse in heavy rain or snow or ice compared to these newer more hybrid treads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig69diesel View Post
I think the open country is ugly, I had the old cooper stt and liked it. I would have bought the Mastercraft if I hadn't got such a good deal on my Generals.
Toyo makes the Open Country, and Im not considering it for the same reasons as BFGs. Too many of them out there on every vehicle with larger than stock tires. Im looking at the Extreme Country. The old STTs were awesome but I saw many that were worn really fast on highway miles. Still like to find some for vehicles in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjlizard View Post
I'm a Hankook snob,sorry . They were recommended by my tire shop for my firebird and now everything with 4 wheels has Hankooks in my garage. Rt03 mts on the grand and at's on the old lady's commander they are extremely well build a nice long wearing sticky compound and lots of reinforcement.
No Hankooks for me thanks buddy. Not on this Jeep. Maybe if I owned a ricer or a performance-oriented car.

Thanks everyone, lets keep this going. I need to find people who have run all these, or at the very least know someone who has. Im really interested in knowing which one lasts longer, drives nicer on the road, and will handle the water/ice best. I think theyll all do well in mud and dirt, but its the winter weather I want to be prepared for with my DD/trail vehicle.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:25 PM   #9
CT99XJ
Captain of the Nine

Garage

Toyo. Serious.

Tire preferences aside (I myself like Coopers), the Open Country MTs have been one of the best tires I've ever owned. They're quiet, wear like iron, and they wheel like super glue.

August 2018 Stock Grand Cherokee of the Month

CT99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:02 PM   #10
craig69diesel
Veteran

I miss wrote in my reply I meant the fun country is ugly. The picture didn't load and I thought that was the tire you were meaning. My bad.

Last edited by craig69diesel; 04-07-2016 at 03:08 PM.
craig69diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:46 PM   #11
XJSuperman
Veteran

Garage

Ah, gotcha.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:57 PM   #12
XJSuperman
Veteran

Garage

Im eliminating the Dick Cepeks, and probably the Mastercraft. The Cooper STT Pro is a 3ply carcass, and another Cooper tire, the ST Maxx uses the same carcass. I am considering the both of them. Pricing is close, and both are available at many local places.

Im making my quote spreadsheet tonight. Ill post it up later.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:53 PM   #13
XJSuperman
Veteran

Garage

I get a headache shopping for tires. This shouldn't be this hard. Comparing a couple tires, in the same size, from nearly 10 locations, or more (crossed some off the list), and getting different quotes from the same place on different days is making me crazy.

Looking more and more like the STT Pro now, I just don't want to do another AT type tire, I can't take the look anymore, and hopefully I won't have to worry about the DD factor for forever.

Ill need wheel ideas too. Cheap is good. 15x8, steel or aluminum, but not D-window. Round hole is ok though. Trailemaster is cheapest at 40bucks a pop, but idk.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:05 PM   #14
thekidmiket
Experienced

Garage

Cooper Sst's are great they don't wear down fast I'm running adventures on my D.D. There not aggressive but still tackle It all very well.... 2years now and they Haven't worn down at all. There compounds are very good and don't wear fast I was going for the Discover SST but I drive 500 miles a week for work and needed something more street worthy
My buddy has the SST and he said they are far better then most tires he had on his rig by Far
Next round I'm going for the SST's

Last edited by thekidmiket; 04-12-2016 at 07:09 PM.
thekidmiket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:08 PM   #15
XJSuperman
Veteran

Garage

New STTs or old STTs? The new STT Pro is what Im looking at.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > General Technical Forum > Tires and Wheels