89 Cherokee, 4.0 horse power suggeations

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Cherokee Modified Technical Forum

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2017, 07:49 PM   #1
Mick-Harvey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 89 Cherokee, 4.0 horse power suggeations

I have been searching this site looking for mods for horsepower. But most seem to be going loud. I have 2 kids under 6 and this will be a camping/skiing rig. Looking for lots of horsepower but keeping cabin noise moderate. Off shelf cold air intakes for her seem to nonexistent and exhaust seem to focus on noise vs HP. Dont care about fuel economy, just looking to climb the altitude towing a camper or weekend of ski gear. Looks for advise with some miles on them, not brand new mods. Have a moderate budget so can't go nutty but not going cheap either. Thanks for everyone's advise and previous knowledge I have gained
Oh, I put 2" lift running 29's so HP should go farther
Mick-Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2017, 04:15 AM   #2
Gluckmysock
Super MOD! Yeah Baby!!

Garage

Hello, Welcome.

Lots of horsepower? Hmmm. Short of rebuilding the engine (stroker), not many options for big bolt on horsepower boost.

Need some info about your rig? Transmission? Transfer case? Axle ratio? How many miles?

I'm pretty sure you have a Renix engine. Hopefully, someone will chime in with a link to a bunch of Renix tips.

May 2015, June 2017 & December 2018 Modified Cherokee XJ of the Month
December 2013 Stock Class Cherokee of the month
Gluckmysock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:06 PM   #3
Mick-Harvey

Sorry been a while. Working on other projects. “Lots”, not meaning 50-100 more; but bang for buck more. Everything is stock but 2” lift and slightly bigger tires. It is the 4 speed auto. Wondering if 5 speed would help climb the mountains better as well. Just went last weekend and cruising at 70 and went down to 45 before I manually shifted it to 3 to get rpms over 2k and start getting mph back. It’s a DOG!!! Also heard of bolt on electronic gearing with remote switch but it’s about $2k. Need to do something. 18 wheelers are passing me 🤬

Old 06-19-2019, 08:08 PM   #4
Mick-Harvey

Oh. Yes renix and 222k. Burns a little oil but Lucas oil fixed that so she’s solid now!
Thanks all replies
Old 06-19-2019, 08:23 PM   #5
Gluckmysock
Super MOD! Yeah Baby!!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick-Harvey View Post
Sorry been a while. Working on other projects. “Lots”, not meaning 50-100 more; but bang for buck more. Everything is stock but 2” lift and slightly bigger tires. It is the 4 speed auto. Wondering if 5 speed would help climb the mountains better as well. Just went last weekend and cruising at 70 and went down to 45 before I manually shifted it to 3 to get rpms over 2k and start getting mph back. It’s a DOG!!! Also heard of bolt on electronic gearing with remote switch but it’s about $2k. Need to do something. 18 wheelers are passing me 🤬
Electronic bolt on gearing?? Never heard of it? Got any more info??

Read and try this for a start.

Cruisers Renix Tips

Last edited by Gluckmysock; 06-20-2019 at 04:20 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:19 PM   #6
Mick-Harvey

company is Gear Vendors. I haven't looked into it at all, but have a buddy has it on his hot rod and said doesn't see why couldnt work for my xj. just big bucks

Gluckmysock, DUDE!! thanks man for the link, man, i can never find **** on here searching. sorry if was repeating info, but can never find myself. must be searching with wrong words. Thanks again. I'll get right on those, hell of a list.
thanks
report back
Old 06-19-2019, 10:35 PM   #7
Mick-Harvey

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  98.6 KB
Old 06-20-2019, 12:41 AM   #8
4.3L XJ
Veteran

Garage

Quote:
company is Gear Vendors. I haven't looked into it at all, but have a buddy has it on his hot rod and said doesn't see why couldnt work for my xj. just big bucks

Gluckmysock, DUDE!! thanks man for the link, man, i can never find **** on here searching. sorry if was repeating info, but can never find myself. must be searching with wrong words. Thanks again. I'll get right on those, hell of a list.
thanks
report back
I had a smaller version I put on the back of a Ford toploader. Allowed me to split gears as well as have an overdrive. I let the kids shift it, they loved it
Griffin radiator
On board air
Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
31 gal. gas tank
4.3L XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:27 AM   #9
Gluckmysock
Super MOD! Yeah Baby!!

Garage

Quote:

thanks
report back
Learn something new every day:
" Fact is, when you are in 4X4 there is very little desire to use GearSplitting and overdrive unless you are racing (and we do make the in-between kit for that purpose), itís 2wd where the benefits of overdrive and additional gears are most needed. All our kits bolt directly to the rear of the transfer case and are electronically locked out during 4X4 operation." From Www.Gearvendors.com

Welcome to the Stone Pearl White Cherokee club!!

Old 06-20-2019, 11:11 AM   #10
DOWNSY
Seasoned

Garage

With the overall drivetrain length of the XJ and the driveline problems they already have with mild lifts adding an extra gearbox into the mix isn't going to help any of those things. That gearvendors setup isn't even offered for Jeeps, I'm guessing because it looks like it adds a foot and a half to the driveline so you would have no room for a driveshaft
DOWNSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:37 AM   #11
DOWNSY
Seasoned

Garage

Here is a picture showing it attached to the back of a T-case. Just eyeballing it that looks like it would be right at or past the pinion yoke in an XJ.
DOWNSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:48 PM   #12
lawagoneer

Garage

The '89 4.0 is the RENIX version of the motor. As such it has a different head and intake than the later 4.0s. The interesting thing is it has the same torque and arguably a better torque curve with it being flatter and occurring earlier. Also horsepower wise the HO only beats out the RENIX at upper rpms. Typically they get better fuel milage because of this difference. Cold air intake have limited effects of increasing hp but can be easily made from parts store parts. Exhaust side there are several cat-back exhausts that help without being too loud. There is also a header that helps. You'll be hard pressed to exceed 200hp on a healthy RENIX and at 222k and burning oil yours is tired. A stroker is probably the best money spent in you situation.

Here's a pick of my home built CAI on my 89 RENIX XJ.

1989 Cherokee Laredo, 4.0, AW4, NP231, HP Dana 30 Front, Dana 35 rear. 3" RC lift with control arms, Radesigns shifter, CB, Satellite radio, open cooling system conversion, 165 amp alternator, XRC Bumper with Warn XP9000i winch, TreadWright Guard Dog 31-10.50x15 tires
lawagoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:01 PM   #13
Mick-Harvey

that is very possible there isnt much room for this set up. havent looked into it, just sounded like what i was looking for
The more I think about it and drive it, the more I think it is gears. I think the HP is fine, just need one or 2 more gears. in 4th (OD) it does fine on most roads. Once i hit the big hills of tahoe it just dies to 45, I wait for rpms to get to 2k before dropping to 3rd manually and then the speed goes back up until top of hill. so sounds like the power is there, just need a gear between 3&4.
I have opened up the exhaust with new cat and muffler from magnaflow
Old 06-20-2019, 06:09 PM   #14
lawagoneer

Garage

Nice looking rig by the way. XJs are very sensitive to tire size changes. I'm assuming you have 3.55 gears stock. You may want to look into changing you gears to 3.73 or 4.11s. That should pick up the climbing power you're looking for.

1989 Cherokee Laredo, 4.0, AW4, NP231, HP Dana 30 Front, Dana 35 rear. 3" RC lift with control arms, Radesigns shifter, CB, Satellite radio, open cooling system conversion, 165 amp alternator, XRC Bumper with Warn XP9000i winch, TreadWright Guard Dog 31-10.50x15 tires
lawagoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:02 PM   #15
Mick-Harvey

Yes, stock
I was thinking about that, that is an option.
Do you know what speed gives you what rpms?
65mph gives a nice 2,000 at this time. if 65 gives about 2,500 not sure what to do that. Might to talk to folks and see what it doing. see if worth it.
is a good idea though
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Cherokee Modified Technical Forum