B&M # 80212 Trans Temp guage Install w/ rant included

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Cherokee Modified Technical Forum

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 08:36 PM   #1
Lyon
Veteran
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Default B&M # 80212 Trans Temp guage Install on 99 XJ

Ok, I just installed my trans cooler by B&M. Needed some additional hardware so it prolonged the project but luckily had family to help me out with what I needed. Finally got that installed and it's all good.

OK, got the package from the Fedex guy. Picked it up from Streetsideauto.com. I had a gift certificate for $25 so I took advantage of that. (My version of extreme couponing ) They had it shipped to my door in 1 day.

Here's what you get.....

Coupling and sensor

But the morons forgot to tap the threads. How does that work?

This is how it's SUPPOSED to be hooked up.

They decided to give me 2 green friggin garbage bag ties for no good reason though.

I had some fittings and stuff left over from work and if they were just a tad bit longer, it would have worked.

So, for now the job is put on hold and I barely got past checking to make sure all the parts were in the box and the other reason is because it's now 10:30 at night.

To be continued........

Last edited by Lyon; 02-28-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
Lyon
Veteran

Ok, time to continue......

Well, today was a much better day. 1st thing was to tap the coupler that wasn't done by B&M.

Got out the hole saws (thanks again Dennis!) The correct size is 2 inch or 51mm.

Now it was time to figure out where I wanted to mount it. I tried a few different spots but ultimatley put it where I have seen them mounted before. I didn't like it anywhere else. I kind of liked it near the gear selector but there isn't enough clearance underneath for it.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
Lyon
Veteran

Now that I figure out location it was time to start ripping stuff out.

Emtpy out all your crap that you forgot you stuffed in the center console.

Start taking the center console assembly out. It's easier to put the 4wd selector in 4 hi or 4low and put the emergency brake on to slide it out over the handle. Also remove the center dash bezel (goes around radio, vents, AC/heater controls ect..)

Old 07-14-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
Lyon
Veteran

Double check your hole saw to make sure it's the correct size and install it on the drill to make sure there is no wobble to the center bit or hole saw blade itself

Trace out where you'd like your guage to be mounted and find the center to make your 1st drill

Looks good.

hook up supplied nuts to hold into place with the supplied bracket.

Run the wiring accordingly by following the directions that come with the guage. These directions are very detailed.

I hooked up my wires as following

Sensor wire- obviously routed to the sensor on the trans line (coming later in write up)
Ground wire- Mounted underneath 10mm bolt that holds the shifter assembly to the floor
Ignition wire- To positive wire to left side lighter assembly (Only has power when key is *on*)
Illumination - ran wire off of 12v positive for indicator light to gear selector assembly

Once that's done, install the center console and get ready to wire it to the Jeep. I installed these connectors because I figured it's a Jeep, this won't be the last time I'll be working on something inside. So this will be an easier way to disconnect and reconnect everything.

I wasn't sure which lighter ran off the ingition only so I tested and ran the ignition terminal from the guage to the lighter wire.

Last edited by Lyon; 07-14-2011 at 09:38 PM. Reason: added wire hook up locations
Old 07-14-2011, 09:15 PM   #5
Lyon
Veteran

I ran the ground wire to one of the bolts that hold the shifter assembly in. you'll need a 10mm socket to remove them.

Start to button everything up.

Reinstall your CB if your vehicle is so equipped.

Now admire your work

Start wondering why you keep burning body parts getting in and out of the Jeep.

Ok, time to run the sensor wire

I ran mine through the fire wall and stole some real estate already available to hide the wires.

Ran the wire around to the passenger side and tied it along with the wiring to the alternator.

Set up your fittings with teflon tape, cut about an inch or so on your line. I used the supply line from the trans to get actual temp not cooled temp.

Last edited by Lyon; 07-15-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
Lyon
Veteran

Hook up the wire to the sensor and remount the holding bracket. You're all set. Run the Jeep in gear holding the brake for a few minutes and then let it idle for about 10-15 minutes. Check for leaks. Take your new trans temp readings and enjoy.

Now, go count all your change you had in your ashtray. I had 16 bucks in there!

Last edited by Lyon; 07-15-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:11 AM   #7
ldub100
Marshmallow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Garage

Nice detail and pics! Thanks for laying it out for us.
ldub100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #8
Maverick1701
Experienced

great walkthrough!!!

I need to do the same...I am weary about wheeling with autos. I burned up the auto in my F350 a few years ago after a day of wheeling. Not fun.

1967 Kaiser-Jeep M35A2 6x6

1996 Jeep Cherokee w/HO 4.0 (from 98 XJ)

1996 F350 4x4 CC 7.3 Diesel *RIP*
Maverick1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #9
jfxj67
Veteran

Garage

Nice Write-Up, and Awesome location for the gauge!!!

Now... just gotta ask, what kind of temps are you running now with your B&M SuperCooler installed?

"Keep Coming Back, It Works... If You Work It"!!!
Jim - XJ Addict
jfxj67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #10
shortbus

awesome, i will be doing this same thing, i was thinking about welding a nice little bung in my trans pan but this looks MUCH easier. my only worry is how accurate it really is being that far away from the trans its self. i know that just popping my hood and driving down the road on a hot day my jeep tells me before hand that it was hitting 210 220 for the coolant temp. then after with the hood popped it suddenly dropped to under 190. so.... wind apparently makes a big difference in how the sensors of this style read.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:55 PM   #11
Lyon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfxj67 View Post
Nice Write-Up, and Awesome location for the gauge!!!

Now... just gotta ask, what kind of temps are you running now with your B&M SuperCooler installed?
Thanks man!

Temps vary depending on load obviously but.......
On the highway (long distance) it stays in the 160-170 degree range
Normal around town driving it stays about 180-190 degrees
Wheeling, I've only had it above 210 when climbing part of the mountain at Rausch Creek but otherwise I never have a problem keeping it under 195 on the trails.

Sorry it took so long to answer you. I didn't know you posted to the thread. I didn't see the notification.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:21 PM   #12
High2by
Seasoned

Very nice write up. I have their cooler mounted up but I didn't opt for the gauge. I probably should have tho...
High2by is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:18 AM   #13
Lyon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by High2by View Post
Very nice write up. I have their cooler mounted up but I didn't opt for the gauge. I probably should have tho...
Thanks man. Yeah, I did alot of research before purchasing the cooler and glad I did. It works better than expected. It's not necessary to get the guage but it's nice to have. I'm just a nut when it comes to stuff working right. I like to see what everything is doing. My Jeep would look like the cockpit if I had the means to do it. I have LED's to let me know when my rad fans come on just so I know they are working.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:22 AM   #14
Lyon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbus View Post
awesome, i will be doing this same thing, i was thinking about welding a nice little bung in my trans pan but this looks MUCH easier. my only worry is how accurate it really is being that far away from the trans its self. i know that just popping my hood and driving down the road on a hot day my jeep tells me before hand that it was hitting 210 220 for the coolant temp. then after with the hood popped it suddenly dropped to under 190. so.... wind apparently makes a big difference in how the sensors of this style read.
I was concerned with the wind hitting it as well. Where the lines mount, they are pretty close to the block, there's enough to block air flow in that location. If anything, it would get hot air from the fan cooling the radiator. It's not that far from the transmission and it's taking the reading right before it comes out of the transmission so that's pretty much as close as you're going to get as far as an accurate temp is concerned. If it gets hotter at the transmission, then you have a larger problem than the cooler.

Last edited by Lyon; 11-03-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Cherokee Modified Technical Forum