1998 zj 5.2l shift issue from stop

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Grand Cherokee Technical Forum

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2019, 07:06 AM   #1
1997jeepxj1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1998 zj 5.2l shift issue from stop

Doesn't do it all the time. If I get on it it won't do it. But if I drive like your supposed to this happens. Changed the t ps and have adjusted the tv cable. Trans has 178k and is full of fluid.

heres a clip I just made with my phone

https://youtu.be/L8X-HNGOSpc
1997jeepxj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2019, 10:15 PM   #2
DaingMaing
Veteran

Garage

so I am assuming the trans goes too slow from a stop?

Does it feel like you're starting in second gear and not 1st?

Modified Grand Cherokee of The Month
- October 2013 - March 2016 - August 2017 -

DaingMaing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:11 PM   #3
1997jeepxj1

no more like it pops in second from first and then jumps out immediately. Watch the tac in the video

Old 09-08-2019, 09:00 PM   #4
DaingMaing
Veteran

Garage

If that is the case then I would suggest all new solenoids (TCC and shift) and pressure sensor/governor in your transmission.

The 44re is a beefier version of the 42re, and the valve body design and components are the same.

I would highly suggest you drop the pan, drop the valve body and replace the two solenoids, and the pressure sensor on the side. If you need help, I can send you instructions. If you are competent enough to replace a valve cover gasket or perhaps a rear main seal on your 5.2: you should be just fine doing a solenoid replacement.

Your mileage suggests that perhaps the pressure governor sensor is failing and is causing the 1-2 solenoid to shift erratically.

Do you have the same issue in between 2nd and 3rd?

The parts are like 100-150$(about four years ago) and shouldn't take you more than a long afternoon to get it done. The only tools you'll need are the 3/8(?) deep well socket to remove the oil pan, a flat head screwdriver to pop off the solenoids, the T-10 or 15 to get the oil filter off, a 7mm socket to unfasten the solenoid pack, and the 10mm socket to get the valve body bolts off.

The hardest thing to get done is to unplug the NSS and the main harness plug from the valve body as you are dropping it.

Modified Grand Cherokee of The Month
- October 2013 - March 2016 - August 2017 -

Last edited by DaingMaing; 09-08-2019 at 09:04 PM.
DaingMaing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:07 AM   #5
1997jeepxj1

I've done them before on my wifes 42re in her 97. Hers was a pan though because it has one of these kits https://www.dnjcomponents.com/products/d-cf1 Made finding a replacement a pain plus it used a later filter kit and a deep trans fluid pan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Grand Cherokee Technical Forum