1998 ZJ Grand Cherokee Rear Liftgate Window Mechanism Bypass

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Grand Cherokee Technical Forum

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
DaingMaing
Veteran
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Garage
Default 1998 ZJ Grand Cherokee Rear Liftgate Window Mechanism Bypass

Through much online researching and lack of information out there, I have FINALLY figured out what is going on with my liftgate window. The wiring diagrams in both my Haynes and Chilton's are completely insufficient to deal with this pesky little SOB 'system'. Like many things on my ZJ that make me think 'Why the [email protected]%$ would they design it like that?'
I have finally figured out the problem that many ZJ owners have had and spent too much money on trying to fix with no success.
After tracing miles of wire, smudging up my headliner, a few bucks, and a couple of trips to the Pick n' Pull, I've identified the problem. ONE ill conceived switch/'relay' in the hatch was the culprit. I must apologize for the pics, they were taken with a six year old phone. Hence, I had to adjust the pics after the fact, so some may look out of focus and weirdly colored. The red ovals indicate components of the 'system', yellow circle is the switch/'relay' and the green ovals are the contacts/button on the hatch in the first couple of pics, and then signify the electrical boots on the inner panels.
The button works as a way for the contacts in picture #3 to touch the contacts in picture #2, and then completing THAT part of the circuit.

Last edited by DaingMaing; 07-03-2011 at 07:59 PM.
DaingMaing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
DaingMaing
Veteran
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Garage

Then, after that part of the circuit is live then the switch on the lower back side of the lift-gate handle(yellow in picture #4) has to be in the connected position for the juice to flow to the actuator on the actual lock(upper red oval in picture #4). In my case the lock/unlock mechanism behind my handle on the lift-gate was full of ****e and debris. After a good cleaning and lubing the mechanism had good movement, but the switch/relay was still f-ed up.
Now I called all over the place, Vatozone, Advanced, Napa, O'reilly's, and yes even the Stealership: NO ONE HAD A PART NUMBER OR EVEN KNEW WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT.
With this being, as far as I have seen, a common occurance in these ZJ's, I would think someone would've figured it out by now.
The Last two pic's are of the current / CHEAPEST mod I came up with. Obviously, the mechanism / system WILL NOT work in it's entirity as it was designed, but at least it works now!
I'll be making a trip back to the local Pick n' pull after the fourth's festivities for a replacement relay. I thought I just throw this one out there 'cause I've seen this issue out on other forums and have yet to see a solution... Cheers! & Happy 4th of July to everyone!

P.S. The window will be unlocked at all times with this mod. Although your factory alarm will still go off if your rig is locked. Obviously I would recommend to replace the relay with a donor from your local pick n pull, as I will in a few days.

Last edited by DaingMaing; 07-03-2011 at 08:27 PM.
DaingMaing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Grand Cherokee Technical Forum