Constant Misfire on Cylinder 1 in 1997 ZJ 4.0 - Page 2

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Grand Cherokee Technical Forum

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2019, 10:44 AM   #16
Mattman99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Garage

Got the head gasket replaced and the misfire is gone and it runs much better now, just need to source out 2 manifold bolts to get rid of my slight exhaust leak at the manifold. Thanks for the help.
Mattman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2019, 05:28 PM   #17
XJSuperman
Veteran

Garage

This thread is not good reading for me. Lol. Glad you got yours fixed, the problems all sound very similar to mine except my oil and coolant are both clear and clean. Oh boy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2001 XJ: 4" lift (MetalCloak CAs, Tuff Country coils, IRO aal), 31x10.50r15 Cooper STT Pros, TruTrac 4.10 front, Spartan locked 4.10 rear, SYE, custom gas tank skid, Durango steering box, Yakima roof rack on custom bars, WickedBilt LED lighting, 784 injectors, Afe intake, OBA, more soon!

1948 Sears utility trailer project

YouTube channel: XJSUPERMAN
XJSuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:43 PM   #18
Mattman99

Garage

So... quick update, I have been monitoring my check engine codes since I did the head gasket and the misfire on cylinder #1 IS BACK. It used to be just a slight misfire on startup and then nothing, now it is back in full swing again and my coolant and oil are normal colored. Could it be linked to the DTC P0132 (O2 sensor reading rich because of the exhaust manifold leak from the 2 missing bolts) or should I do the other 5 injectors and do completely new plugs and wires? The plugs it has are relatively new but I don't know how new, and the plug wires are also relatively new.
Mattman99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2019, 08:46 AM   #19
mattden

My "mis-fire" was at idle and turned out to be loose bolts holding the torque converter in place. It was wobbling at idle and self centering at higher revs. Took to my local trusted mechanic after my limited troubleshooting skills were exhausted and he pulled the inspection cover and found the loose bolts. Once the 3 bolts were tightened the "mis-fire miraculously went away. Got it fixed just in time before the torque converted went AWOL.
mattden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:41 PM   #20
wjlizard
Veteran

Nice find...Thanks for the update...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Grand Cherokee Technical Forum